PECO 00-9 Couplings & Loop & Peg query

Stevelewis

Has  anyone  used  Peco's  recently  released  loop & peg  ( as a  spare)  on  other  than  the  small slate  wagons?

Reason for  query  is  that  having   finally completed  a  continuous run  on my 009 shed  layout,  I have  finally  got  to  run some  longish trains of  Peco L&B rolling  stock accumulated  over 4 years!

I noticed   that   I was  getting   random  phantom  uncoupling of the  vehicles,  I was  coming to the  conclusion  that  Pecos couplings as fitted  are  rather on  the  light weight side  compared to  other  manufacturers  and  the  loops  tend  to  bounce  a little  and  thus  uncouple.

I have  modelled 009  for  many  years  and  never  had  any real  problems  with  couplings on Bemo, Roco, Liliput stock  etc  with  their  heavier  metal loops.

In order  tto  test  the  layout's track  I did run  non Peco  stock  and  did not  have  any  problems.

So  I was thinking  that  as many of  the  vehicles  will run in fixed  rakes  anyway  I  would  try  permanent coupling with peg & loops .

I do not  have  any tight  radii  on  the  layout  min  rad  approx. 350mm  , 450mm points.

• 6 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have use the peg and loop couplings on a rake of four of the Peco GVT coaches that I've repainted.

They ran fine on the layout except for one very sharp curved piece of track in the hidden sidings which I need to look at.

I have used Greenwich couplings on the outer ends and the other stock on the layout.

36171658694_d476b7614a_c.jpgIMG_9683 by Richard Doe, on Flickr

Edited by cnw6847
  • Like 2