The last Barclay

As part payment for building some V-tipping wagons I recieved the last ever late type 16" Andrew Barclay loco kit to be produced in 4mm by Mercian Models.After building two Judith Edge and one RT Models kit I realise how I have been spoiled by them and how, in comparison with this, they almost fall together but this is an altogether different kettle of fish.

Just to make things that bit more difficult I am building it to be like the cabless versions that worked at Stewarts & Lloyds Springvale Furnaces and am also trying to fit a modern gearbox and motor into it. The ilustrations in the instructions show a motor sitting vertically in the firebox space and mention a 40:1 gearset, which is presumably meant to fit an old tyle single-stage worn and wheel gearbox.I intend to get a High Level 54:1 Roadrunner into it somehow.

After a day of battling with the tank/boiler, and another day getting the frames, footplate and cab under way, this is the progress so far.

post-494-0-14738900-1498931602.jpg

The cabless version isn't part of the kit, so I have modified the front panel of the cab and have made the roof from brass sheet.

Edited by Ruston
  • Like 10

Hi Dave, 

Looking good so far, and an interesting prototype. Watching with interest, as I have one of these in the "to do" pile. 

Mine was supplied with 2 chassis, one of which is fold-up brass, and another which is slot and tab NS. In fact, there was a real hodge-podge of etches, including two full sets of motion brackets which have wildly different spans.

Did yours come with etched wheel overlays, thus giving the correct spoke pattern? Mine did, but I have an earlier Mercain 14'' example, which did not - but this did include dummy inside motion...

Paul A. 

Edited by 1whitemoor

What are the chances. After completing the Judith Edge Brush 200 hp DEs I was riffling through my kit pile yesterday and dug out the very same Mercian 16" Barclay 0-4-0ST as a possible next build....

Perhaps I'll go with the High Level RSH 0-4-0ST instead!

Dunno about your kit Dave but mine contains a very generous amount of duplicate parts. Two full sets of cylinder etches and three saddle tanks; one brass, one nickel silver and one cast in white metal, to mention just some.

Anyway, interesting modifications you're making there, I'll be interested to see how you get on.

Edit. I see Paul has commented on the duplicate parts too. Mine has the etched spoke overlays included.

Edited by Arthur
  • Like 1

Interesting comments about duplicate parts.

When this kit first arrived, several weeks ago, I opened it up and found that the majority of the etches were for the pre-1921 version, although some etches, including a narrow gauge loco cab back, were completely random. The sandboxes were for a Peckett and there were three tank formers, which were for the pre-1921 version and one pre-rolled tank wrapper for this version. I sent the whole thing back and on return came the correct etches but no buffers, one sandbox (plus the Peckett sandboxes) and the cast tank that I had originally asked for came but is 4mm longer than both the etched version and the supplied scale drawing. It is an ongoing saga in getting the correct and replacment parts.

Mine is missing the spoke overlays so that's another thing I will need to ask for. Did you guys get any etched wheel weights because my kit hasn't got any.

Did you guys get any etched wheel weights because my kit hasn't got any.

No counter balance weights with mine. Several parts included for the pre-war version too, but all the required parts are there. 

The castings have lots of flash on them, but beggars can't be choosers, I suppose. 

Paul A. 

These kits seem to be a real mish mash. Mine contains three cast chimneys though no guidance as to what each is appropriate for and the cast saddle tank is a little shorter than both etched tanks.

No balance weights as such in mine, they are etched as part of the spoke overlays.

post-6861-0-00495400-1498423404_thumb.jpg

Not quite sure yet what that rectangular part to the right is but it has been rather well pre curved whilst still attached to the etch, bizarre.

Edit. Why does that happen sometimes, photos posting upside down? Now, part to the left...

Edited by Arthur

My understanding is that the cast whitemetal "tank" is intended to be a ballast weight that fits inside the etched version. 

I've got a Mercian kit of the 14" Barclay that I've had for a while now without it reaching the top of the "to do" list.  It has the same arrangement and a quick glance through the instructions reveals nothing to suggest otherwise.

My understanding is that the cast whitemetal "tank" is intended to be a ballast weight that fits inside the etched version. 

I've got a Mercian kit of the 14" Barclay that I've had for a while now without it reaching the top of the "to do" list.  It has the same arrangement and a quick glance through the instructions reveals nothing to suggest otherwise.

No, Mike, the cast tank is definitely not intended to go inside the etched one with this kit. It comes in three parts - sides, front and top. The front has a smokebox door cast into it and the top has dimples to locate the chimney, filler and safety valves and, as I said previously, it is longer then the etched tank. The top is also fractionally wider then the etched version, so it can't possibly fit inside, either in parts or assembled. I'll take some more photos tomorrow.

Is your 14" Barclay 4mm or 7mm?

Edited by Ruston

Interesting.

Rather more thorough reading of the instructions for the 4mm scale 14" version reveals that the whitemetal "tank" is not mentioned at all!

I discussed the kit with Mr Mercian (Can't remember his name) at exhibitions both before and after buying it and can only assume that one of those discussions prompted the belief that the whitemetal tank was intended to be a ballast weight.

Edited by mike morley

These kits seem to be a real mish mash. Mine contains three cast chimneys though no guidance as to what each is appropriate for and the cast saddle tank is a little shorter than both etched tanks.

No balance weights as such in mine, they are etched as part of the spoke overlays.

attachicon.gifIMG_0404.JPG

Not quite sure yet what that rectangular part to the right is but it has been rather well pre curved whilst still attached to the etch, bizarre.

Edit. Why does that happen sometimes, photos posting upside down? Now, part to the left...

Very interesting, Arthur. My etches obviously have the cab section that is in your photo but none of the rest of what is surrounding the cab. I did wonder if the part you refer to is the boiler but if it is it looks very different from the boiler in my kit. I also forgot that there is a duplicate boiler in mine.

My kit has both a cast and a pre-formed brass boiler bottom, the curved part shown above is only about half the length of the other boiler bottoms and I cannot match it to anything in the assembly diagram.

Your assembly looks to be in brass Dave, or is it just the lighting?,most of the parts in mine are nickel silver.

Paul mentioned two chassis types, mine is different to yours and is basically a fold up assembly with strengthening cross members.

Well it's reasuring to know - I can confirm the same - mix of etch brass and NS plus white metal. I think between the 14" and 16" I have 5 chassis's and about 7 chimneys. I was also missing a footplate from one and the entire cylinder assembly from another.

This is what I got with my 16"

post-23366-0-03852400-1498442656.jpg

Edited by Down_Under

I'm doing one of the Hudswell-Clarke diesels at the moment, and I'd second this comment. A bag full of small etches and loose parts, with quite a few different options (cabs, radiator grilles) that aren't fully covered by the instructions. The quality of the individual etched parts is great, but they don't always fit together that well.  

I think that's just distortion - some of the half etched NS parts on mine had the same curved effect, especially the one piece bonnet.

Your assembly looks to be in brass Dave, or is it just the lighting?,most of the parts in mine are nickel silver.

It's nickel silver but the tank has taken on a grey colour after annealing the wrapper.

Speaking of the tank.

post-494-0-24856600-1498931728.jpg

After fitting the wrapper to the fold-up ends and underside I offered up the front end only to find that it is not deep enough at the tank and overall.

post-494-0-33971500-1498931807.jpg

So I have made my own by roughly cutting to shape a piece of scrap brass, made from the spare roof of a 7mm loco. After soldering it to the front I filed away the excess. The inserted photo shows the three chimneys that came with the kit - none of which are the correct pattern/fit!

The next ill-fitting part is the cast boiler backhead.

post-494-0-50062200-1498931848.jpg

The cab front etch/bunker outers is the standard kit part but I have cut it and have put new holes for the glasses in. As you can see, there is a large gap as the cast firebox/backhead is too short. I will have to pack the bottom of this to raise it to the required height.

post-494-0-33963700-1498931925.jpg

The underside of the tank, before the bottom of the boiler was fitted, is a solid flat base, so this has had to be cut away to allow space for the horizontal motor to fit. The boiler bottom has been soldered in and a small section cut out of the boiler for the gearbox. To facilitate the removal of the tank I have fitted a base plate inside the smokebox and to this is soldered a captive nut. I have also added small wings on the outside of the firebox covers to take captive nuts. These will eventually be hidden by the sandboxes. The rear springs have also been soldered to these wings. The tank/boiler assembly then slides over the motor/gearbox and is screwed in place.

Edited by Ruston

Well it's reasuring to know - I can confirm the same - mix of etch brass and NS plus white metal. I think between the 14" and 16" I have 5 chassis's and about 7 chimneys. I was also missing a footplate from one and the entire cylinder assembly from another.

This is what I got with my 16"

attachicon.gifimage1.JPG

I see you have the pre-1921 frames. Is this what your kit is supposed to be? Mine came with those but they had to go back as mine is the post-1921 version.

I see you have the pre-1921 frames. Is this what your kit is supposed to be? Mine came with those but they had to go back as mine is the post-1921 version.

This was the post-1921 kit. Its missing the footplate, cylinder assembly and saddle wrapper among a few other things. Here are the castings that I got with mine:

post-23366-0-36581400-1498509079_thumb.jpg

Trevor has said he sent some replacement parts to my fathers place in London, will find out in 2 days if he did or not.

I also have a pre-1921 kit - I will dig this out in about a week and take some pictures of what I got with that - it was also missing some parts - motion bracket among other things. This one came with 3 or 4 chassis', one that was fold up, one from looking at this pictures that was pre-1921 and one or two that must be post-1921 - these are more angular/square cut frames and the fancier ones pre-1921? So perhaps my post 1921 frames a mixed up with these.

Looks like you got a couple of Peckett chimney in your mixed bag!

Edited - hadn't finished typing before I hit Enter.

Edited by Down_Under

It's nickel silver but the tank has taken on a grey colour after annealing the wrapper.

Speaking of the tank.

After fitting the wrapper to the fold-up ends and underside I offered up the front end only to find that it is not deep enough at the tank and overall.

So I have made my own by roughly cutting to shape a piece of scrap brass, made from the spare roof of a 7mm loco. After soldering it to the front I filed away the excess. The inserted photo shows the three chimneys that came with the kit - none of which are the correct pattern/fit!

The next ill-fitting part is the cast boiler backhead.

The cab front etch/bunker outers is the standard kit part but I have cut it and have put new holes for the glasses in. As you can see, there is a large gap as the cast firebox/backhead is too short. I will have to pack the bottom of this to raise it to the required height.

The underside of the tank, before the bottom of the boiler was fitted, is a solid flat base, so this has had to be cut away to allow space for the horizontal motor to fit. The boiler bottom has been soldered in and a small section cut out of the boiler for the gearbox. To facilitate the removal of the tank I have fitted a base plate inside the smokebox and to this is soldered a captive nut. I have also added small wings on the outside of the firebox covers to take captive nuts. These will eventually be hidden by the sandboxes. The rear springs have also been soldered to these wings. The tank/boiler assembly then slides over the motor/gearbox and is screwed in place.

Watching with interest as to how you tackle this Dave, as like others I've got a couple of these stashed away and have me scratching my head a little.

Has anyone had a crack at joining a Mercian chassis with a ARC resin body?

Edited by Ruston

Has anyone had a crack at joining a Mercian chassis with a ARC resin body?

Not quite but the spare cylinders from my Barclay will be used on a scratchbuilt chassis under an ARC resin body for a large RSH 0-6-0T. The resin body is nicely done but compromised in length to fit an RTR chassis so the overall result will not be a scale model but should, hopefully, capture the essence.

I don't know what that backhead is for but it's not a Barclay. Looks like an RSH backhead with the two 'valves' either side of the gauge frames!

Your right! Do you have any pictures? From a little googling looks like to angled sight glasses, round firehe door and central regulator

Not quite but the spare cylinders from my Barclay will be used on a scratchbuilt chassis under an ARC resin body for a large RSH 0-6-0T. The resin body is nicely done but compromised in length to fit an RTR chassis so the overall result will not be a scale model but should, hopefully, capture the essence.

And I was thinking that between us we could build another complete loco. :scratchhead:

Seems like there is enough spare bits between us all to build a Frankenstein Barclay - M/W springs, Peckett Chimney, RSH backhead, oh wait that's the kit I got.

In all seriousness and not to distract too much from the build, looks like we're all in the same boat here. Looking on with interest on how to overcome this and share thoughts.

Here's the backhead of 'Rosyth No.1' at Blaenavon. She's a 14" but the 16" is virtually identical in layout just slightly bigger. Ignore the vacuum gauge to the right of the pressure gauge and vacuum brake valve by the cab side. Also she has had the levers for the sanders combined onto the rod across the top of the firehole doors with handles either side of the boiler, these are usually independent levers on each side attached to the bunkers.

post-8705-0-22609900-1498730429_thumb.jpg