MODEL RAIL No. 237 August 2017

dibber25

Compact layouts, ‘Inglenooks’ and all the fun of shunting are the links that couple together the August 2017 Model Rail.

News: The big news is that we’re now ready to take advance orders for the Model Rail/Rapido Trains ‘J70’ 0-6-0T. We’re revealing the technical specification and the prices. There will be 10 livery/detail variants of the little ex-GER tram locomotive in the first batch. To make your selection and place your order, turn to pages 6/7.

Reviews

The new models reviewed include DJ Models’ Class 71 electric locomotive, Dapol’s ‘OO’ Class 122 railcar, Hatton’s ‘warwell’ wagon and Dapol’s IDA container car.

Workbench: Chris Nevard works with Peco’s new bullhead track. George Dent puts a couple of diesel shunters ‘through shops’, fitting DCC and lights to a Hornby 0-4-0 and turning a Dapol ‘O’ gauge ‘08’ into a Tinsley example.

Peter Marriott builds an inglenook layout, Chris Leigh replaces tension-locks with couplers that actually work, and Mike Harris devises a shunting game.

Features: Paul Lunn presents a selection of ideas for inglenook layouts.

Layouts: Shell Haven – an oil refinery in ‘OO’. Build small, play big – Brian Rolley’s Inglenook Sidings. Molinnis – Nick Dibben’s modern image ‘N’ layout looks bigger than it is. Operation Abyss – a military dockside that was built on a budget.

Regulars: Exhibition Diary and Backscene, in which Chris Leigh reveals more about his interest in Class 121 railcars.

post-1062-0-33080800-1498475348_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andy Y
  • Like 4

My subs copy arrived today also,

Chris I have a Major issue to bring to your attention. :nono:

Can I ask why there is NO J70, brown livery, Big Yellow number 7 on the side and a face? :O  :senile:

Never will I buy Model Rail again, IMO this is a serious omission and I don't know how ill ever get over it.......... :beee:

....Just kidding. :mail:  :stinker:   :yahoo:

It looks like a great issue, particularly timely for me as I am attempting to dcc fit a Hornby 06.

Best regards

Dan

My subs copy arrived today also,

Chris I have a Major issue to bring to your attention. :nono:

Can I ask why there is NO J70, brown livery, Big Yellow number 7 on the side and a face? :O  :senile:

Never will I buy Model Rail again, IMO this is a serious omission and I don't know how ill ever get over it.......... :beee:

....Just kidding. :mail:  :stinker:   :yahoo:

It looks like a great issue, particularly timely for me as I am attempting to dcc fit a Hornby 06.

Best regards

Dan

We could do you a special - but the license fee would make your eyes water! (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

• RMweb Premium

Thursday, same as the publication date in the back of issue 236 states. Ive always had an issue with the fact that some hard copy subscribers get theirs almost a week before us digital subscribers are able to download ours. I mean surely all they have to do is push a button to make it available. Not pack it, address it, send etc. But I won't get into that again.

Edited by Hilux5972

Surely the front cover splash should have carried the text "Simple techniques to make your track look this BAD...."?

Not criticising the modelling, its an excellent depiction of track thats been so neglected that the sleepers may well be biodegrading at an alarming rate!

Out on Thursday, eh?  I can wait that long :jester:

Thursday, same as the publication date in the back of issue 236 states. Ive always had an issue with the fact that some hard copy subscribers get theirs almost a week before us digital subscribers are able to download ours. I mean surely all they have to do is push a button to make it available. Not pack it, address it, send etc. But I won't get into that again.

The digital operation requires a precise date and time to go live. It's not possible to achieve that with the postal system. (CJL)

• Like 1

I'm surprised no-one has yet commented on the poor - even atrocious - quality of photo reproduction in the latest issue. I don't think it is my copy, seems to be just the layout pics are mostly over exposed​ photoshopped, whilst those such as the blue 08 are normal. They are so bad they almost could be taken for paintings (though I've seen better paintings!).

Or is it just me?

Stewart

I'm surprised no-one has yet commented on the poor - even atrocious - quality of photo reproduction in the latest issue. I don't think it is my copy, seems to be just the layout pics are mostly over exposed​ photoshopped, whilst those such as the blue 08 are normal. They are so bad they almost could be taken for paintings (though I've seen better paintings!).

Or is it just me?

Stewart

No, certainly not just you!

Photos and print are often shadowy.

Also, Model Rail has the worst quality print on the poorest quality paper of any of model railway publication.   Just compare the finished product with the excellent Hornby Magazine!

I have mentioned it a few times to previous editors and they roll out the same excuse that it is because of Bauer's bulk paper purchasing.  Well, if Bauer is so huge that it can buy so much paper, they should be getting far better quality for quantity. Especially for a magazine which folk usually like to keep for reference.  MR is printed on the same type of paper as my wife's weekly Bella magazine which comes out of the same stable (and get's thrown out the day after she's read it)!

I have purchased every Model Rail since issue 1 and it's definitely got worse over the years.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - the lads at Model Rail do a brilliant job with their great articles and photos - they deserve to have their efforts printed on better paper.  Must be a bit disheartening.

(Edit:  Having said all that, I noticed my copy of No.236 was in fact better than normal!) 

Edited by cravensdmufan

You could issue the digital version earlier... like BRM do with theirs...

And then the print subscribers would get theirs late. The digital edition is available on publication date, as are most of the subscription copies and those which go on sale in the newstrade. If the postal service performs well, some lucky subscribers get theirs a day or two early. (CJL)

Also, Model Rail has the worst quality print on the poorest quality paper of any of model railway publication.   Just compare the finished product with the excellent Hornby Magazine!

I have mentioned it a few times to previous editors and they roll out the same excuse that it is because of Bauer's bulk paper purchasing.  Well, if Bauer is so huge that it can buy so much paper, they should be getting far better quality for quantity. Especially for a magazine which folk usually like to keep for reference.  MR is printed on the same type of paper as my wife's weekly Bella magazine which comes out of the same stable (and get's thrown out the day after she's read it)!

I have purchased every Model Rail since issue 1 and it's definitely got worse over the years.

Can I politely disagree, after reading this I flicked through my copy again with a critical eye at all the photos and have noticed nothing different from the good quality photos I expect, especially science Nevard's arrival. Does it matter that the paper its written on is the same paper as another publication?

If the actual content of the magazine is fine and clear (which it is) and the paper doesn't rip or degarde, whats the problem if it makes the magazine cheaper for us?

EDIT: Spelling

Edited by cal.n
  • Like 1

Can I ask a question relating to The Baseboard Competition?

When I go to the address: www.moedl-rail.co.uk/model-rail-competition it had a competition to win a Dynamis Ultima which I believe was from last months issue. There did not seem to be a link to a competition for a baseboard or books?

Edited by Isambard Kingdom Brunel

• RMweb Premium

A minor point - this is the August issue and we're still in June (just)?

It's just the way the 4 week production works. We will probably see an extra Summer or Autumn issue I'd say to catch us up and put us back on track.

It's just the way the 4 week production works. We will probably see an extra Summer or Autumn issue I'd say to catch us up and put us back on track.

The next issue will be 'Summer'. When we went to 13 issues per year, the company policy was to dispense with the 'month' labelling and simply use the issue numbers. I felt that, model railways being a hobby of traditionalists, readers would prefer to retain the month system even if it meant that things would be out of kilter once every year. (CJL)

The next issue will be 'Summer'. When we went to 13 issues per year, the company policy was to dispense with the 'month' labelling and simply use the issue numbers. I felt that, model railways being a hobby of traditionalists, readers would prefer to retain the month system even if it meant that things would be out of kilter once every year. (CJL)

Is it summer in NZ then Hilux? ISTR seeing a picture of the Christchurch to Greymouth line snowed out in July....

I would love to know how they score reviews??

Irish Railway Models ballast wagon scores 84% for an excellent product according to people with knowledge of the real thing, yet score Dapol Class121/122 95% and even if you have no knowledge of the subject you can clearly see the internal floor is just under the Windows!!

Realtrack/Rapido Class 156 will score 110% at this rate.

I would love to know how they score reviews??

Irish Railway Models ballast wagon scores 84% for an excellent product according to people with knowledge of the real thing, yet score Dapol Class121/122 95% and even if you have no knowledge of the subject you can clearly see the internal floor is just under the Windows!!

Realtrack/Rapido Class 156 will score 110% at this rate.

As I've said on here many times, the aggregate score system doesn't work in comparisons. It's simply an amalgamation of the individual scores. Check those, and you should be able to see where the item scores highly in particular areas. Comparing a wagon with a DMU wouldn't work anyway, because the aspects assessed would differ. Nothing can ever score 100% because that would mean it is perfect and nothing ever is. Also, if something is awarded 100%, what do you do when something better comes along? When I was Editor I resisted all requests to have the score system, and I'd love to see it ditched, but others on the team feel it has merit, particularly in relation to the annual Britain's Model Trains which repeats the review ratings. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

Thanks for the reply.

I still don't understand the 95% score for the Dapol product, poor reviewing.

The floor is just so bad that to be only 5% off perfect is just !

The IRM product score is just crazy low.

Gareth

I was surprised to find no mention of the inaccuracies in Hatton's post-2000 warwell, but no review can be perfect. Ultimately I prefer the MR reviews to those found in other publications.