Templot - pre-sales questions - 1

• RMweb Gold

Templot - pre-sales questions - 1

(This long topic copied from Old RMweb -- please make new posts in the Templot - pre-sales questions - 4 topic.)

Comment posted by micklner on Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:05 am

What is it?

Comment posted by Gordon S on S on Sat Mar 15, 2008 8:28 am

Track/layout design software...http://www.rmweb.co....hp?f=64&t=19739

Comment posted by Garry D100 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 11:52 am

Hello Martin,

I have been mulling over buying some layout and track design software for a little while now.

Looking at other threads here and your website I am beginning to think Templot might be the better option.

However could you clarify a couple of things for me.

When designing a layout in Templot can I actually map the size of the baseboards on screen ready to overlay the trackwork so as I play around with track formations I can tell if my ideas will work or not within the space available?

I will be building a layout on multiple levels with various gradients. How does templot cope with these. I realise its 2D and of course is printed so, but is there anything on the plans that you can put to help differentiate the levels and gradients?

Lastly I like my narrow gauge. Can I design dual gauge pointwork and crossovers on this?

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can give.

Garry

??? posted on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:32 pm

Garry D100 wrote:

I have been mulling over buying some layout and track design software for a little while now.

Looking at other threads here and your website I am beginning to think Templot might be the better option.

Hi Garry,

Thanks for your interest in Templot.

When designing a layout in Templot can I actually map the size of the baseboards on screen ready to overlay the trackwork so as I play around with track formations I can tell if my ideas will work or not within the space available?

Yes. You can lay out your baseboard outlines using Templot's "Background Shapes" functions. They are stored in a separate file from the track plan, so you can try different plans on the same baseboards.

Here's a simple 0 gauge plan showing rectangular baseboard outlines in purple, with the board joints shown dotted:

board_joints.png

I will be building a layout on multiple levels with various gradients. How does Templot cope with these. I realise its 2D and of course is printed so, but is there anything on the plans that you can put to help differentiate the levels and gradients?

Templot is a 2D track design program referenced to the rail top. It doesn't know anything about gradients and elevations. However, you can mark different areas of your plan in different colours to show different levels and gradients. For example in the above plan I marked the main lines in orange, the yard area slightly lower in yellow, and the gradient between them in blue. You can keep these different areas in different data files and load one or more at a time onto your screen as you need.

Lastly I like my narrow gauge. Can I design dual gauge pointwork and crossovers on this?

Yes, you can design mixed-gauge trackwork. But you do need to gain some experience in Templot before trying it. icon_smile.gif

Here for example is a printout for a mixed-gauge curved crossover (without side-swap). Andy's size limit on images on RMweb means that I have had to split the image, which explains the mis-match in the middle:

mg_xover1.png

mg_xover2.png

If you need more information about Templot, just ask!

regards,

Martin.

-------------------------------

http://www.templot.com

Comment posted by Garry D100 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:50 pm

Hello Martin,

Thank you very much for your information.

I think this software is probably what I need.

I know the area I have to play with so the ability to play on screen with scale plans to try out ideas is what I am after.

With the ability to print it all off when finalised is great as I want to build my own track.

What I did like looking at your website is the ability to scale the whole lot down to a smaller plan.

I found a picture on RMweb that someone posted of a scale model of their proposed layout much smaller.

A fantastic tool so you can then try out your ideas in a small 3D model.

One other thing, is there an option to draw free hand or shapes onto the plan for scale building footprint outlines at all.

Sorry if some of this is on your website, I am taking advantage of direct communication icon_wink.gif

I am one of those that learns by doing rather than reading pages and pages first.

Looking at your website it all looks very complicating at first. But I guess its just a case of start small and learn the techniques before moving to a big plan.

Thanks

Garry

??? posted on Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:58 pm

Garry D100 wrote:

One other thing, is there an option to draw free hand or shapes onto the plan for scale building footprint outlines at all.

Hi Garry,

Yes you can draw freehand with the mouse and add other simple shapes, but it's a bit basic. There is also trick you can use to represent buildings alongside the track using "shoved timbers" like this. They are then attached to the track and move with it if you move it:

shoved_structures.png

However, the best answer is to export a DXF file of your track plan from Templot. You can then open the file in many CAD-style drawing programs and add all the buildings and scenic detail for your layout.

Looking at your website it all looks very complicating at first. But I guess its just a case of start small and learn the techniques before moving to a big plan.

Yes, and there's plenty of friendly help available on the Templot Club user forums if you get stuck. And also here on RMweb of course. icon_smile.gif

regards,

Martin.

-------------------------------

http://www.templot.com

Comment posted by Garry D100 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:17 pm

Spot on Martin. Its obviously the tool for what I need then.

Regarding the buildings, if I know, say my station canopy is 4 feet by 2 feet, can I draw a scale version so I know if the track formation will comply with the buildings?

BTW looking at the order process, it mentions a computer number.

Is this the MAC address or some other unique number.

I only ask as I am shortly rebuilding the pc and wondered if I should wait until I have done this before purchasing or whether the number is hardware related and therefore does not make any difference if the pc is rebuilt.

??? posted on Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:31 pm

Garry D100 wrote:

Regarding the buildings, if I know, say my station canopy is 4 feet by 2 feet, can I draw a scale version so I know if the track formation will comply with the buildings?

Yes, everything in Templot is done to scale, and you can easily see how things fit together.

BTW looking at the order process, it mentions a computer number. Is this the MAC address or some other unique number? I only ask as I am shortly rebuilding the pc and wondered if I should wait until I have done this before purchasing or whether the number is hardware related and therefore does not make any difference if the pc is rebuilt.

There's no reason to delay purchasing Templot. You can go on using it after any changes you make to your computer.

regards,

Martin.

Comment posted by Garry D100 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 3:34 pm

Looks like I shall be making a purchase this week then. icon_clap.gif

Many thanks for your help Martin.

Comment posted by Irish71 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi

I will be going on a course in the next couple of months on how to build your own track.

This I'm sure will pop up, software used in design of points layout etc.

Had a good read on here, all sounds good. I'm not a big reader of manuals etc so as long as it is easy to pick up, not a problem.

How much is it? Payment methods?

As I know of Garry and he is looking to get it, I plan to wait to hear what he has to say.

Kind Regards

m

Comment posted by Garry D100 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:40 pm

Irish71 wrote:

??46.50. Paypal or Cheque

Irish71 wrote:

As I know of Garry and he is looking to get it, I plan to wait to hear what he has to say.

Ooo the pressure !! icon_wink.gif

??? posted on Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:58 pm

Irish71 wrote:

I'm not a big reader of manuals etc so as long as it is easy to pick up, not a problem.

Hi m,

How about watching videos? icon_smile.gif There are several videos showing Templot in use. See the full list at: http://www.templot.c.../video_list.htm

Full ordering details are at: http://www.templot.c...plot_buynow.htm

regards,

Martin.

Comment posted by hayfield on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:33 pm

Martin

Sorry for being a bit thick, I have been making a few copper clad points lately as I like making them. I have used both SMP and C & L plans. Recently I have been asked to make some different points so have either brought kits or the odd plan. A friend has asked me to build a station throat complex, am I right in thinking that it will make plans for 3 and 4 way points and make a plan for 2 points back to back? Secondly if I curve a standard point does that extend the length of the point, as the SMP curved points are very long.

John

??? posted on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:30 pm

hayfield wrote:

If I curve a standard point does that extend the length of the point, as the SMP curved points are very long?

Hi John,

No, curving a turnout in Templot does not change its length. The SMP curved turnouts tend to be too long for a proper turnout design. You can see a comparison between SMP and Templot designs at: viewtopic.php?p=138112#p138112

But bear in mind that if you want to curve a turnout a lot, you need to start with one which is longer than usual. Otherwise the inner radius will become too tight.

make a plan for 2 points back to back?

You mean make a crossover between double track? Yes Templot can do that with just one click, and the crossover can be in straight or curved track, or on a transition curve.

am I right in thinking that it will make plans for 3 and 4 way points?

These are called tandem turnouts. You need to gain some experience in Templot before doing these. It's fairly simple to align two turnouts over each other, which gets you a basic template with all the rails in the right place. But if you want to have a detailed template with all correctly positioned wing and check rails, and timbers aligned under the V-crossings (frogs) at the correct positions, it has to be built up from partial templates. Here's a typical printed template from Templot showing the end result of doing that:

em_tandem.png

This shows tandem turnouts in EM, diverging left and right from the middle road, which is on a curve.

Unfortunately to comply with the RMweb 800 rule, I have had to shrink the image rather too much. icon_sad.gif

regards,

Martin.

Comment posted by Simon Moore on Moore on Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:54 pm

Martin maybe not the right place to put this more of a request really. Is their any chance of a demo version of Templot for newbies I quite fancy buying a copy but I don't fancy paying a lot of money & not being able to use the product I myself find it hard to read & digest things then learn that way so I find many programs tough to use.

Simon.

??? posted on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:08 pm

Simon Moore wrote:

Martin maybe not the right place to put this more of a request really. Is their any chance of a demo version of Templot?

Hi Simon,

Sorry, for technical reasons a demo version of Templot is not possible.

You can get a good feel for Templot by watching the videos showing the program in use. See the full video list at: http://www.templot.c.../video_list.htm

If you are a member of a club there is probably someone else in the club who could show you Templot running and let you have a dabble on it. Or if you ask here on RMweb or on Templot Club there might be someone living near you who would be willing to show you Templot.

regards,

Martin.

Comment posted by Garry D100 on Sat Apr 19, 2008 9:44 pm

Garry D100 wrote:

Looks like I shall be making a purchase this week then.
icon_clap.gif

Many thanks for your help Martin.

Can't believe its a month since I said that.

Anyway, just ordered so looking forward to getting started.

Martin, I noticed on another thread there is an upgrade that includes PDF output and designing wiring diagrams and control diagrams etc.

Do owners get notified when such releases and upgrades are available for download and what is the time frame on this particular upgrade?

Many thanks.

Garry

??? posted on Sat Apr 19, 2008 10:48 pm

Garry D100 wrote:

Martin, I noticed on another thread there is an upgrade that includes PDF output and designing wiring diagrams and control diagrams etc.

... what is the time frame on this particular upgrade?

Hi Garry,

Thanks for your order. You should have received your order confirmation email by now. Please read all of it before diving into Templot! icon_smile.gif

You are jumping ahead of me a bit. I'm currently working on an upgrade to include PDF output in addition to normal template printing, and also an option to have the templates in "diagram" mode instead of the normal detailed design for trackbuilding. This will be more suitable for control panels, signal box diagrams, and similar. Sorry I can't give a time frame for that. It's ready when it's ready. icon_smile.gif Nowadays I have to fit Templot development in between user support activities (like writing this!), so progress isn't as fast as I'd like.

I'm also working on developments (which will probably have to be in a subsequent upgrade) to improve Templot's "background shapes" functions to something more resembling a conventional simple drawing package. This will make it easier to add non-track features to your layout track plan, which could include wiring connections. At present the way to do that is to export a DXF file of the track plan and do such additional drawing work in a CAD program. That's fine for those happy to work in CAD, but that's not everyone!

Do owners get notified when such releases and upgrades are available for download?

Yes and no. What I very much hope is that you will join Templot Club forums. All upgrades are notified on there, and you can choose to receive all Templot Club content via email. That way you will be notified of upgrades. If you don't choose to do that, you would need to visit the Templot web site from time to time to learn about upgrades. All upgrades are free until further notice. Templot Club is at: http://85a.co.uk/forum

Also, upgrades will be notified here in the Templot-sponsored section on RMweb. So if you subscribe to this topic: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=19550 you will receive email notifications from RMweb of Templot upgrades and other developments.

If you have just downloaded Templot it will be version 074b, which is several years old but is the only version which fully matches the static tutorials on the web site. I suggest that you upgrade to version 082d either immediately or as soon as you have worked through the "track plan" tutorial. There are a great many additional features in 082d. For 082d upgrade information, please visit the detailed Pug web pages at: http://www.templot.c...eb/pug_info.htm

There is also an even later trial version 091c which includes mouse wheel zoom functions, multiple monitor support, a pad views history feature and a very useful new drag-panning function. Information about version 091c is on Templot Club at: http://85a.co.uk/for...=330&forum_id=1

Thanks again for buying Templot. I'm sure you will enjoy using it.

regards,

Martin.

Comment posted by downendian on Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:09 am

Martin

Is this software specifically for those who build their own track, or is it possible to "cut and paste" commercially available points such as Peco code 75?

Neil

ps posted this question in two threads, - should have been in this thread!

Comment posted by Garry D100 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:21 am

martin_wynne wrote:

Sorry I can't give a time frame for that. It's ready when it's ready.
icon_smile.gif

No worries, I was just curious, I have plenty to learn before that release icon_smile.gif

martin_wynne wrote:

This will make it easier to add non-track features to your layout track plan, which could include wiring connections. At present the way to do that is to export a DXF file of the track plan and do such additional drawing work in a CAD program. That's fine for those happy to work in CAD, but that's not everyone!.

Great upgrade plan. That will save having to learn how to use a CAD program.

martin_wynne wrote:

What I very much hope is that you will join Templot Club forums.

Done icon_thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for your help, right i am off, got all day to myself today.

Start Templot, get some music going and a little light refreshment and thats me for the day icon_clap.gif

??? posted on Sun Apr 20, 2008 8:33 am

downendian wrote:

ps posted this question in two threads, - should have been in this thread!

Hi Neil,

No problem, I'll delete the other one for you, unless you get there first. icon_smile.gif

Is this software specifically for those who build their own track, or is it possible to "cut and paste" commercially available points such as Peco code 75?

That's a very difficult question to answer, without knowing where you are in the hobby and what sort of layout you have in mind.

Here are two different answers -- choose the one you feel comfortable with: icon_smile.gif

1. If you are a modeller who uses Peco track and calls the Peco things "points", Templot is probably not for you. There are other programs available which will probably suit your needs better, such as AnyRail ( http://www.anyrail.com , easy to use) or XTrkCad ( http://www.xtrkcad.org , free but more complicated) or 3rd PlanIt ( http://www.trackplanning.com , more expensive, but includes 3D simulations). Templot is mainly intended for modellers who build their own track instead and need detailed construction templates.

2. If you are a modeller who takes track seriously and you know enough about real track to call the Peco things "turnouts", or you want to learn about such matters, and you think you might like to try building your own track one day, Templot may be what you are looking for. Certainly it is possible to use it to create templates which match the Peco turnouts, and use them in creating track plans. You can also create plain track to match the sleepering sizes of Peco flexible track.

Here for example is a Templot screenshot showing two Peco turnouts at the bottom. The files for these two are available for downloading, so you could start designing a layout with them straight away. Be warned though, that a lot of the stuff in Templot won't be usable with them, because they are fixed units. The two turnouts at the top can be "stretched" and "bent" with the mouse to make any size or radius of straight or curved turnout you like. You can't do that with Peco turnouts!

peco_v_00bf.png

By doing your Peco track plan in Templot, you would be well placed to modify it later to replace the Peco turnouts with handbuilt ones, or to insert a handbuilt turnout wherever you wanted one in the existing track alignments. Other programs such as AnyRail or XTrkCad aren't much help at all with handbuilding, and there is no easy way to get their track plan files into Templot.

If there is a lot of interest in using Templot with Peco track, I could create more of these ready-made templates for downloading, or other Templot users could, or maybe you could? icon_smile.gif It's quite hard work creating accurate Peco templates in Templot because they bear no resemblance to prototype track, but it's certainly possible as you can see from the screenshot. Likewise it would be possible to create templates matching Tillig or other makes of track.

It would be in interesting to know how many folks would be interested in using Templot for Peco track if a wider range of ready-made templates was available for downloading? RMwebbers might like to let me know, or maybe I can create a poll in this section of RMweb. There's been a lot of interest in Templot recently, so maybe my usual answer that it's only for handbuilding needs a re-think? I certainly believe that it's easier to design a realistic UK-style track plan in Templot than in say XTrkCad, but then I would say that, wouldn't I? icon_smile.gif

regards,

Martin.

Comment posted by downendian on Sun Apr 20, 2008 2:59 pm

Hi Martin

Thanks for the detailed response.

I'm having a loft conversion done shortly and my layout will start in the summer, unfortunately with job commitments I won't have time to build track, hence it will have to be Peco until then. An "add on" to Templot giving code 75 turnouts/slips and crossovers would be a great help to design a layout.

Thanks again for the large amount of information.

Neil

Comment posted by CMJAG on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:03 pm

Hi Martyn,

I'm new to 7mm and I'll be designing my own track/pointwork.

I intend to use copperclad solder construction (no chairs) similar to Marcway.

Am I right in understanding that you can design and then print off the templates for your track design? And is your programme compatible with track construction as mentioned above?

Sorry to sound vague but I don't want to fork out if it's no good for what I want.

Chris

??? posted on Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:33 pm

CMJAG wrote:

Am I right in understanding that you can design and then print off the templates for your track design?

Hello Chris,

Yes, that's exactly what Templot is for. You can print just individual templates and then create a track plan design on the baseboard using them. Or you can do the full track plan on the screen and then print off the templates you need to build it. Or print a complete plan.

If you go to this page: http://www.templot.c...artweb/videos/f ... up_em.html , you can watch a video showing the most basic adjustments being made to a turnout template, and below it the printed out template.

If you search for Templot on RMweb you will find lots of examples of Templot in use. For example the most recent mention is here: viewtopic.php?p=386716#p386716 Those examples are for EM and P4, but 0 gauge is just the same.

And is your program compatible with track construction as mentioned above?

Yes, the actual method of construction is up to you. Templot produces the templates, building the track on them is your job! icon_smile.gif

Sorry to sound vague

That's ok. Templot is quite difficult to explain until you try it. There is lots of info and videos on the Templot web site to explain things. See: http://www.templot.c...web/templot.htm . If you are still not sure, why not join the Templot Club user forum and ask other users? See: http://85a.co.uk/forum

regards,

Martin.

Archived