Last orders for an etched chassis for the Hornby Peckett. P4 / EM

I am thinking of doing a P4 etched chassis for the Hornby Peckett.
The reason for doing this is to provide a rocking front axle for improved pickup.

I have spoken to CG at High Level who has confirmed that at this moment in time a Peckett chassis is not on his list.

To that end I am looking to try and quantify what interest there would be in such a product.

a) How many people would be interested in a P4 chassis?
b) How many people would be interested in an EM chassis?

Which would you prefer:
c) A conventional etched chassis which requires a separate motor and gearbox of your choice.
d) A chassis that uses as many parts of the original Hornby model such as motor and gears.
This chassis may be of the fold up type. This option will definitely invalidate any retailers / manufacturer’s warranty.

Currently I am looking to use the existing rods and cylinder assembly. 

e) Are there any additional detailing bits you would like included. I will not include any parts that are already available separately from other
manufacturer such as builder’s plates – Narrow Planet etc.

Gordon A

• Like 1

I am thinking of doing a P4 etched chassis for the Hornby Peckett.

The reason for doing this is to provide a rocking front axle for improved pickup.

I have spoken to CG at High Level who has confirmed that at this moment in time a Peckett chassis is not on his list.

To that end I am looking to try and quantify what interest there would be in such a product.

a) How many people would be interested in a P4 chassis?

One here. I don't have a Peckett, but I'd still be interested in having a sample P4 chassis to see how you tackle the design.

Which would you prefer:

c) A conventional etched chassis which requires a separate motor and gearbox of your choice.

d) A chassis that uses as many parts of the original Hornby model such as motor and gears.

This chassis may be of the fold up type. This option will definitely invalidate any retailers / manufacturer’s warranty.

Doesn't really matter to me.

Currently I am looking to use the existing rods and cylinder assembly.

I'd prefer the cylinders and motion to be part of the eventual fret.

e) Are there any additional detailing bits you would like included. I will not include any parts that are already available separately from other

manufacturer such as builder’s plates – Narrow Planet etc.

Can't think of any apart from etched footsteps.

I am not aware of any exact wheels being available.

Gibson do produce wheels of the right diameters but the spoke count is not spot on. I will be using the Industrial Beyer Garratt wheels on mine.

Gordon A

• RMweb Premium

HI Gordon

At some point yes in P4, though I need to get a Peckett first!

Not really fussed on the specifications.

Andrew

Edited by ullypug

My advice would be to design with EM spacers as the appeal would probably be greater. I have built several chassis for P4 using EM spacers, there is actually very little difference and P4 spacers can make things a little tight, especially for an 0-6-0 to negotiate an acceptable radius.

Mercian Models did a range of etched 4mm Peckett kits - I built the ex-Metropolitan one which included an etched compensated chassis. Mercian seems to have discontinued much of its 4mm range now though.

....Mercian Models did a range of etched 4mm Peckett kits - I built the ex-Metropolitan one which included an etched compensated chassis. Mercian seems to have discontinued much of its 4mm range now though.

The current owners of the CSP kit range also have the Peckett W4 in there, come to think of it.

I don't own any of the  Pecketts (yet!), but I'd be interested in one (possibly more) in P4.

I think it would be better to design it as a complete chassis replacement, to allow new wheels, motor/gears to be used to owners preference and allow the original Hornby chassis to be sold on as spares (this is my intended path with my Q1s I have), thus clawing a bit of the conversion cost back.

Good luck with it.

EM, option D would be excellent, given that the Hornby drive unit is already a very good thing and unlikely to be bettered in running terms in say P4.

D.

What he said - I'd definitely be after an EM version.

Adam

• 3 weeks later...

Thinking about a possible etch conversion, would it be possible to have some etched overlays for the wheels?

post-20690-0-96775200-1500126693_thumb.jpg

The photo is of Henry Court on the Foxfield Railway, currently out of service.

post-20690-0-92400900-1500126777_thumb.jpg

post-20690-0-12490800-1500126817_thumb.jpg

Does anybody know if this loco is a W4?

David

• Like 1

Thinking about a possible etch conversion, would it be possible to have some etched overlays for the wheels?

Does anybody know if this loco is a W4?

David

A quick google brings this page on wikipedia up:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Peckett_and_Sons_railway_locomotives

Number 933 is listed as Henry Cort, and listed as a W4.

Of course it is wikipedia, so verification from other sources is usually wise.

• Informative/Useful 1

kelly, excellent, thanks for confirming that. If anyone needs someone to measure up any bits for a proposed kit then I am your man!

For completeness photos of the other side.

post-20690-0-95112600-1500130413_thumb.jpg

post-20690-0-37974700-1500130475_thumb.jpg

And a photo of the chimmney mounted lubricator.

.post-20690-0-24850600-1500130527_thumb.jpg

David

Edited by Norton961
  • Like 1

Interesting pictures Norton 961.

I thought  Henry Cort was in your museum?

I am looking at making a chassis kit available for the Hornby Peckett.

At some stage I would like to have access to HC for measuring and pictures.

Gordon A

• Like 1

I'd be interested, and I don't think it's important as to gauge. I would imagine it would be easier to use the existing cylinder block, although this would need some modification and I would prefer new rods, please. I'm not too fussed about using the Hornby mechanism or a new one.

The issue of wheels for EM and P4 might complicate things.

Two please!

Regards

EM, option D would be excellent, given that the Hornby drive unit is already a very good thing and unlikely to be bettered in running terms in say P4.

D.

I would go for this approach x 2.

The current situation is that I have spoken to Ian Young who has the CSP range and am waiting for a sample chassis to assess. I am looking to use the chassis from an existing Peckett W4 kit.

Initial measurements of a partially stripped down Hornby chassis indicate that the best option will be a full chassis kit.

When I receive the sample chassis I would like to visit Foxfield to check some dimensions on Henry Court.

Gordon A

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The current situation is that I have spoken to Ian Young who has the CSP range and am waiting for a sample chassis to assess. I am looking to use the chassis from an existing Peckett W4 kit.

Initial measurements of a partially stripped down Hornby chassis indicate that the best option will be a full chassis kit.

When I receive the sample chassis I would like to visit Foxfield to check some dimensions on Henry Court.

Gordon A

Don't know how similar it'll be, but my E class Peckett CSP chassis build is here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/blog/12/entry-13830-peckett-e-class/ 

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Andrew. 

How was the angle of the cylinders set?

Gordon

Each cylinder bolts to the main frames and is set by tab and slot. Tab on the cylinder and slot in the mainframe. Same system as per their 1366 chassis.