A big pair of buffers

One advantage of the shank arrangement, be it twin shanks or a single figure 8, is that the buffer head cannot rotate thus keeping the head in correct alignment to prevent buffer locking.

The link shows Peckett 2081/1946 at Foxfield in the early 80s when she still had her 'bin lids' rivetted over her standard buffers. These were only on the front and to prevent buffer locking round the sharp curves at Nechells gas works when she was there.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/65480188@N07/24459279586

• Like 1

Guest Isambarduk

We may be at crossed purposes here. ... but this would mean that the buffer shank would need to be figure 8 shaped. I can't think of a  simple and therefore cost-effective method of machining such a thing, even to a fairly rough stnadard, prior to the availability of CNC (or at least NC) mills. I suppose you could turn two circular shanks, machine flats on them and weld them together but it would be rather a faff when you could simply use two separate shanks.

I think we are saying the same thing, actually; I did say " ... I expect that the buffer shanks and head were fabricated from (at least) three parts."  David

Ok this is bugging me now and I'd rather not start a new topic on it but since this is here I can sk with it. What are each part of a buffer and Dumb Buffer called? From reading this I'm thinking the part of the buffer holding the spring mechanism and the part we typically see painted red on many locos is called the "shank" Unless I've misread the replies on it.

Plus it's never too late to know your part nomenclature in this circle of transport am I right?

Plus it's never too late to know your part nomenclature in this circle of transport am I right?

It's a premise that works well in all walks of life!

Can save considerable embarassment at important occasions.

Don't bother to ask me how I know.........................

It's a premise that works well in all walks of life!

Can save considerable embarassment at important occasions.

Don't bother to ask me how I know.........................

No worries mate. Mum is the word.

Ok this is bugging me now and I'd rather not start a new topic on it but since this is here I can sk with it. What are each part of a buffer and Dumb Buffer called? From reading this I'm thinking the part of the buffer holding the spring mechanism and the part we typically see painted red on many locos is called the "shank" Unless I've misread the replies on it.

Yes, the red part is the shank and the unpainted part is the head, a dumb buffer is just a block which may or may not have an iron faceplate on its front
  • Like 1

Yes, the red part is the shank and the unpainted part is the head......

Are you sure about that?  I've always understood that the "red" part is the buffer stock and the shank is the greasy (or rusty) cylindrical part attached to the head (round or oval) that slides partly inside the stock when compressed.

Ray.

Are you sure about that? I've always understood that the "red" part is the buffer stock and the shank is the greasy (or rusty) cylindrical part attached to the head (round or oval) that slides partly inside the stock when compressed.

Ray.

I think the shank and stock are the same thing or if not the shank is the very back part that bolts to the bufferbeam, I've always heard people refer to a square shank or a round shank even though the buffer head is invariably round Edited by Killian keane

Are you sure about that?  I've always understood that the "red" part is the buffer stock and the shank is the greasy (or rusty) cylindrical part attached to the head (round or oval) that slides partly inside the stock when compressed.

Ray.

I think the shank and stock are the same thing or if not the shank is the very back part that bolts to the bufferbeam, I've always heard people refer to a square shank or a round shank even though the buffer head is invariably round

Ok we are narrowing it down thats for sure. So the Shank is either the cylindrical sleeve that would hold the buffer springs in place or the part of said sleeve that is mounted to the headstock with bolts and rivets. Then the Cylindrical part I suppose can be called a sleeve or a shank and both be considered correct or we have two parts with separate names.  Now that I thin kof it and this is still technically on topic what is the mount for the coupling hook (Often square or oval in shape) called?

I also want to be sure on this but a coupling made of three or four chain links named something special like the two loops with a screw fit between two flexing joints are called screw link couplings or are they simply as I've called them for years Chain link couplings?

If you think you've sorted the definition of components, have a go at this then!  Snapped in northern Switzerland but could be of German origin:

attachicon.gifBuffers2.jpg

Oh my. The only thing I can call clearly is Screw link Couplings. Everything else is Topsy turvy!

I think the shank and stock are the same thing or if not the shank is the very back part that bolts to the bufferbeam, I've always heard people refer to a square shank or a round shank even though the buffer head is invariably round

Sorry but you're wrong.  The square (or sometimes round, oval or rectangular) part that bolts to the bufferbeam is the base of the stock and is part of it. The shank is usually round and, as I said earlier, slides inside the stock when compressed.  The GWR (always had to be different) did, for a time, use square shanked buffers - but they were still shanks i.e usually a one piece forging with the head - the round or oval bit that rubs against its 'twin' on the next vehicle.

844, Traditionally couplings on wagons were "3 links" but all coaching stock and most vacuum braked wagons had "screw link" or just "screw" couplings for short. Most locos had screw couplings but some that were not vac. fitted just had 3-links. To complicate matters further "instanter" couplings started to replace 3-links so that the train could be 'tightened up" but without the trouble of having to 'go under' and tighten every screw coupling by hand. The 'instanter' link replaced the middle link of a 3- link coupling and was sort of heart - shaped.

Sorry if this sounds pedantic but I believe that it's just as important to 'preserve' the correct nomenclature as it is the physical heritage of our railways.

Ray.

• Like 1

Sorry but you're wrong.  The square (or sometimes round, oval or rectangular) part that bolts to the bufferbeam is the base of the stock and is part of it. The shank is usually round and, as I said earlier, slides inside the stock when compressed.  The GWR (always had to be different) did, for a time, use square shanked buffers - but they were still shanks i.e usually a one piece forging with the head - the round or oval bit that rubs against its 'twin' on the next vehicle.

844, Traditionally couplings on wagons were "3 links" but all coaching stock and most vacuum braked wagons had "screw link" or just "screw" couplings for short. Most locos had screw couplings but some that were not vac. fitted just had 3-links. To complicate matters further "instanter" couplings started to replace 3-links so that the train could be 'tightened up" but without the trouble of having to 'go under' and tighten every screw coupling by hand. The 'instanter' link replaced the middle link of a 3- link coupling and was sort of heart - shaped.

Sorry if this sounds pedantic but I believe that it's just as important to 'preserve' the correct nomenclature as it is the physical heritage of our railways.

Ray.

Oh then I guess the stock in the old Model series of Thomas was GWR stock as if we look at this picture from Series one

https://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/ttte/images/0/0b/Thomas%27Train27.png/revision/latest?cb=20160323191219

That coach had a Square "Shank" but to the point the Shank is the actual part of the Buffer that is compressed into the stock when shunted or the sprung part of the Buffer as it were. Am I correct?

Also I had thought the chain couplings were only ever 3 links I just wanted to be sure and I've seen Instanters they look quite odd indeed. Some older Coaches were fitted with Chain couplings too but they were also hand braked if I'm not mistaken. A good example is the LBSC Stroudly 4 wheels. Though later on they received Air/Vacuum fittings.

Guest Isambarduk

"Now that I think of it and this is still technically on topic what is the mount for the coupling hook (Often square or oval in shape) called?"

A 'drawplate', and, it's not a 'buffer beam', on a wagon it's a 'headstock' (and on a loco, a buffer plank), as I understand it.

David

"Now that I think of it and this is still technically on topic what is the mount for the coupling hook (Often square or oval in shape) called?"

A 'drawplate', and, it's not a 'buffer beam', on a wagon it's a 'headstock' (and on a loco, a buffer plank), as I understand it.

David

Did I say Buffer beam? I swear I said Headstock as it was on Coaches and Trucks not engines. Though I know Mark one coaches had buffer beams I tend to call anything that looks like the LBSCR Twins from Sodor (Annie and Clarabell) frames Headstocks. 

Draw plate you say hmm makes sense I've heard the term Drawbar for loco couplings and more often in regards to Buckeye/Knuckle couplers (I call em Couplers not couplings due to a old documentary called "Golden Age of Steam" if you have time Youtube has the full thing though broken up into 5 parts on archive and while it talks most of the US and not of the UK it does remind us that the UK is the birthplace of railways and engines so it's not bad and I recommend it highly.) due to their connection mounting.

You usually get the buffers out before the Peckett.

Hmm depends on the Peckett I mean some times the engine is hard to see between the buffers. 

Guest Isambarduk

"Did I say Buffer beam?"

No, it was others who wrote 'buffer beam'; you did, indeed, write 'headstock'. 

I should have started a new sentence for "it's not a 'buffer beam', on a wagon ...".  My apologies, 884fan.  

David

"Did I say Buffer beam?"

No, it was others who wrote 'buffer beam'; you did, indeed, write 'headstock'. 

I should have started a new sentence for "it's not a 'buffer beam', on a wagon ...".  My apologies, 884fan.  

David

No trouble at all Dave I never meant to insinuate any offense my friend. Just wasn't sure if I had made the mistake or not. Glad we are on the same page my friend.

• 1 month later...