Photobucket - What is going on?

Oldddudders

• RMweb Gold

My pics have all gone (from on here, and from other forums) but fortunately I have all the originals.

Can someone pls clarify how much we can upload directly to this Forum, is it 5Mb total? I know how to do it but can't seem to see the limit anywhere. I always used Photobucket as I thought I'd use my 'direct' allowance on here pretty quickly.

• RMweb Gold

They were gone earlier today!

They are probably still in my cache on my various devices hence why I can still see them

Dutch master, yes that's what I'm getting but I just want to embed them, not doing a thread full of links!

I'm sure I'll find something suitable in time, saying that I may well use the rmweb photo uploader for pics in my thread

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

My pics have all gone (from on here, and from other forums) but fortunately I have all the originals.

Can someone pls clarify how much we can upload directly to this Forum, is it 5Mb total? I know how to do it but can't seem to see the limit anywhere. I always used Photobucket as I thought I'd use my 'direct' allowance on here pretty quickly.

Attach files quote

"You can upload up to Unlimited of files (Max. single file size: 32MB)"

• RMweb Gold

@Metr0Land: there's no limit, except for the max size of the image posted (IIRC 30MB or thereabouts), so you can post as many images as you'd like. But be sensible, do NOT post the original RAW files here! :nono: :rolleyes:  Resize your photo's first, 1024x768 is a good format and keeps the files down to ~250kB or so.

[edit: must type faster, David was quicker :P ]

Tks my norm is 1024x768 anyway but I also do 800x600(?) as the District Dave forum wants a max 800 wide.  ie my normal posts on here are 1024 but if I'm posting in London Underground threads on both forums (fora?) then I use 800.

Ah this explains a lot. I noticed this the other night when trying to view a friends photo links via another non-railway forum that I am a member of and at first I thought it was my connection as photos were not loading fully and loads of ads getting in the way. Same problem a few nights later so clearly something has changed. Bye bye photobucket then I will move my photos and albums elsewhere and delete them from photobucket. Mind you their site and interface has been absolute s#!te this last year or two presumably written and programmed by paperclip.

Paul

I suppose Flickr is the one remaining site for photo linking, then. At least it works more often than not.

Now they have a monopoly, I look forward to all the angst when Flickr try to charge $500 for photo hosting! I'll miss the photos though.

I suspect that is the business model of most online companies - lure punters in with freebies, wait until they appear to be hooked on the site's features and then charge what the market will bear; buy out competitors and then charge as much as possible.

Oh, and not forgetting to have head office in a low tax country, and pay nothing for a presence elsewhere as it will appear on the finances as making a loss.

Wait until Amazon have bought out Ocado, or whoever they have lined up for delivering their online groceries; that will put the cat amongst the pigeons.

• RMweb Gold

I can see your photo Jim, what have you done to get it viewable?

ive done nothing, they dont seem to have dissapeared for me yet but other say they have gone but then came back!

i sure hope whoever sanctioned the new t+c's is sitting in the photobucket office NOT watching the $399 rolling in as people simply walk away from the site, hopefully those who need to pay the full amount to keep current links open (business' for example) will bring in far less income than the masses who would have paid $30 a year to use the site as was

it wouldnt be so bad if all previosuly uploaded pics were still accessable and viewable (i write this as mine currently are as i wait for the inevitable!)

• RMweb Gold

Best answer - mass refusal to pay. They're only pictures anyway.

the problem is despite them being 'only pictures' photo heavy threads such as my colas one are now defunct, ive got 11500 uploaded pictures on photobucket that i use purely for linking to forum threads, ok some are from long since finished and closed down forums and blogs but my colas thread alone on here is 169 pages long with thousands of pictures on chronicling the day to day workis of the modern railway, all pretty pointless without pictures really

once my pics do go awol i'm going to lock the thread and start a new one when i find a new image hosting site

and ive not even thought about at my layout and workbench threads yet

• RMweb Gold

I have a lot of sympathy for Photobucket users, it is more than very annoying for you.

At one time I used the long defunct fotopic, when that died I decided that any photos I put on RMWeb (or anywhere else on the web) would be uploaded to the thread (or whatever) and not put in as a link.

I have also learnt to keep a copy of every file I upload to anywhere on the web, just in case.  For RMWeb I generally use 1000 to 1500 pixels wide, and try to keep the file size around 350Kb to help those with slow internet connections.

So if RMWeb, flickr or any other site packs up I can, if I want to, simply upload from my files to a new site.

By the way, I also keep several backups of all my photos, both original files and resized for the web, at least one is offline except when it is being updated to reduce the chance of viruses etc.

David  

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 3

I suppose Flickr is the one remaining site for photo linking, then. At least it works more often than not.

I've been a Smugmug user since Fotopic went. About 40 quid a year, exchange rate dependant, for unlimited storage. As well as fully embeddable, the interface to browse photos is a lot better, with galleries and the like and it doesn't bring your computer to a grinding halt trying to view pictures.

Jo

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

having uploaded that class 70 picture to flickr it wouldnt let me share/embed it unless i made it a public picture, also the album it is in is also public so anyone can view it, once i made the picture public it also put it in my photostream which i dont want to do as flickr is for my "artier" shots not day to day work pictures, gif's, memes etc so im going to have to have a look at another option, smugmug may be worth a nose at 

• RMweb Gold

trying smugmug...

DSCF3829%20%282%29-L.jpg

well that works!

i can also hide the album that picture is in and the picture is still visable on here so people cant just click on one of my pics and browse the rest of my pics (as photobucket was)

Edited by big jim
  • Like 2

trying smugmug...

DSCF3829%20%282%29-L.jpg

well that works!

i can also hide the album that picture is in and the picture is still visable on here so people cant just click on one of my pics and browse the rest of my pics (as photobucket was)

Hi Jim,

Unless you've removed it, I can't see the image when clicked. I get a "404 Page Not Found" error.

Visible on this thread though.

Dave

Edited by Shadow

• RMweb Gold

That's the plan as I don't want people looking through my albums, just to see the pics on here

As long as it's viewable on here that's all that matters to me

However the problem is now getting is I can't generate an type link when using the smugmug site via a mobile device or on via app, the only option it gives me is a direct link to the picture as below

https://jamesscott.smugmug.com/Forum-Pics/i-CfTDJqg

Which Of course you then click that link you will get "page not found", if I log in I can see it

The issue with that being I won't be able to link to pictures until I can get near a proper PC which when I can be away for days on end with work will be a pain in the bum!

Edited by big jim

• RMweb Premium

Used Flickr so far, but I do not think that this will stay free as it is. If the others are going to be nasty they (Flickr) will follow.

I think it is extremely unfair if you are constantly forced into "free" services which after some time - when you cant go back - will not be free any more.

Example: the cloud... I rather buy myself a couple of mobile hard drives to have some data security than trusting into any of these services.

Or may be I am just getting old (vecchio) and grumpy???

Edited by Vecchio
  • Like 1