Bulleid 2EPB Class 416/1

This is excellent news Colin - I really enjoyed all of your previous builds and it's great to have you posting again on RMWeb with a new project. I am hugely looking forward to this one - bring it on!

David

I know you said you need a black beatle to motor it, but have you looked at the Hornby spares? I have found some Hornby SR EMU motor bogies, with the motor bogie frames, avalible cheap. Just replacing the wheels for p4 would be a lot cheaper that the BB version.

Oh another 3rd rail unit to drool over. Keep them coming Colin. When are we going to see a new layout as well.

Keith HC

Hi Keith,

The layout, which might be too grand a term for it, is progressing very slowly but surely.  The 2 EPB is just an amusement to keep my hand in while the serious business of P4 track-laying proceeds.

Colin 

• Like 1

I know you said you need a black beatle to motor it, but have you looked at the Hornby spares? I have found some Hornby SR EMU motor bogies, with the motor bogie frames, avalible cheap. Just replacing the wheels for p4 would be a lot cheaper that the BB version.

Hi cheesysmith,

It is interesting to hear that Hornby power bogies are still available.  Where have you seen them? It would be a cheap option, as Exactoscale or Ultrascale wheels are easy to fit to these bogies.

Colin 

Edited by Colin parks

• RMweb Premium

Hi cheesysmith,

It is interesting to hear that Hornby power bogies are still available.  Where have you seen them? It would be a cheap option, as Exactoscale or Ultrascale wheels are easy to fit to these bogies.

Colin

Peters spares had a load of 2BIL, I think it was motor bogies a couple of weeks ago, about £25 each.

Thanks for the link Siberian Snooper.  Curiously, when I tried to search for these bogies on the Peter's Spares website without using the Hornby code, they came up as out of stock!  Will be ordering a unit forthwith, because these power bogies are much more powerful than the Black Beetle option, though will block the view through the windows of the luggage compartment of the 2 EPB.

Colin

• RMweb Premium

Will be ordering a unit forthwith, because these power bogies are much more powerful than the Black Beetle option, though will block the view through the windows of the luggage compartment of the 2 EPB.

Colin

There are ways round that. I travelled up from Streatham to London Bridge in the van of a packed 4EPB one morning and the power bogie was completely hidden by disgruntled commuters. (I wasn't disgruntled - too busy watching the brake gauge.)

Pictures needed?

Or did I already let you have some.

Can't remember now.

Looking forward to watching this.

Dave.

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the offer of 2 EPB photos.  You very kindly posted many shots of Bulleid 2 HAPs on my Bulleid 2 HAP topic (page #8).  Unless there any differences between the two classes, I have plenty to be getting on with - apart from a good view of a side buffer! 

All the best,

Colin

There is a Bulleid EPB at the ERM, can't recall if it was a 2 or 4 car one though. Photos can be found on here or on my flickr.

Hi Kelly,

Where on RMweb might your pictures of the EPB be found?  The 4 CIG folder is easy enough to find, but no EPB shots are in the gallery section - unless I am missing something.

All the best,

Colin

Hi Kelly,

Where on RMweb might your pictures of the EPB be found?  The 4 CIG folder is easy enough to find, but no EPB shots are in the gallery section - unless I am missing something.

All the best,

Colin

I'm afraid the EPB photos are amongst the rest of the ERM photos in the ERM album..

Also on flickr here and here.

Nat also took photos on one of those days, but her photos aren't online at present. If you want higher resolution copies of any images drop me a message and i'll email copies.

There are other photos too.

Also, Saturday/Sunday is an open day at the ERM, so I'll be going along with camera on Sunday, weather permitting and taking more photos.

Many thanks for posting your album links Kelly.  If you happen the go to the ERM, a few detail shots of EPB side buffers (cab ends) would be greatly appreciated.

Colin

Many thanks for posting your album links Kelly. If you happen the go to the ERM, a few detail shots of EPB side buffers (cab ends) would be greatly appreciated.

Colin

I will try to remember. I usually try to get overall and close photos, but it depends what is near by and how accessible it is (walking with a stick limits me in that regard). But I'll ask Natalie to get as close as she can with her camera for the epb and the sub (I have a blacksmith sub to build).

Made a small start on the EPB today, concentrating on the Hornby X9723 SR 8ft bogies.  After levering off the bolster/brake gear moulding, Exactoscale wheels were trial-fitted and they ran very well even without brass bearings.  The next stage was to separate the bolster from the brake gear as the brake shoes need to be wider apart for 18.83 mm gauge.  The two brake gear mouldings were split down the middle.  The gap was filled with a strip of Slater's black Plastikard, and for good measure, another wider strip was added across the joint.  Progress can be seen below:

post-8139-0-55674600-1499192254.jpg

Also shown is a strip of 20 thou. black Plastikard which has been filed along its length prior to being parted form the sheet to create a L section.  This creates the small upstand on the running boards, to match the fitted Hornby ones. These boards will be installed on the bogies towards the inner ends of the unit -a feature found on all Bullied-designed EMUs, though these 2 EPBs date from 1957 (albeit with reclaimed chassis from withdrawn 2 NOLs).

One transom has ha its gap filled, but not trimmed to size.  This will the most visible transom when the bogies are fitted to the chassis.  (The bogies will be reversed so that the large gap to accommodate a tension lock coupling will face the middle and be lost in the shadows.)

Edited by Colin parks
  • Like 4