Tregarrick Tales

Martync

I have always had a soft spot for the North Cornwall Minerals railway, ever since coming across an article in an old Model Railways magazine. I have tried to collect as many of the articles that I could find over the years. Having actually seen some of the locos and stock at the recent Warminster exhibition, I am now trying to collate as complete list as possible of Iain's articles concerning Tregarrick and it's eclectic locomotive roster.

The results so far:

Model Railways June 1978 Neilson Box Tanks

Model Railways June 1979 Tregarrick Yard

Model Railways November 1979 Hercules

Model Railways December 1979 Progress Report

Model Railways January 1981 Tregarrick Regained

Model Railways February 1981 Tregarrick Regained 2

Model Railways June 1981 The Walrus and the Carpenter

Model Railways February 1982 Tregarrick Tribulations

Model Railway Constructor May 1980 Tregarrick – a brief history

So far I have managed to find copies of all of the above, except the June 1978 MR.

The introduction to the June 1979 article mentions descriptions of "several" locomotives in previous issues - I've only tracked down the June 1978 one, but are there others??

I know this is a bit geekie, but comments/information welcomed!!

• Like 1

I have always had a soft spot for the North Cornwall Minerals railway, ever since coming across an article in an old Model Railways magazine. I have tried to collect as many of the articles that I could find over the years. Having actually seen some of the locos and stock at the recent Warminster exhibition, I am now trying to collate as complete list as possible of Iain's articles concerning Tregarrick and it's eclectic locomotive roster.

The results so far:

So far I have managed to find copies of all of the above, except the June 1978 MR.

The introduction to the June 1979 article mentions descriptions of "several" locomotives in previous issues - I've only tracked down the June 1978 one, but are there others??

Martyn

Have attached by Rice/Barlow bibliography - you should be able to pick out the Tregarrick-related articles by title - Graham WoodruffIain Rice.doc

Iain Rice also wrote four articles describing the background to and construction of the following 4mm scale models, all pertinent to Tregarrick

Cornish Quartet No.1 - "Bodmin", Model Railways (MR) Sep 1976 (pp441-443)

Cornish Quartet No.2 - "Pentewan" MR Feb 1977 (pp77-79)

Our Industrial Heritage (Nielson Box Tanks) MR Jun 1978 (pp316-319)

Locomotive Construction in 4mm scale - "Hercules" MR Nov 1979 (pp719-721)

Edited by br2975

The results so far:

Martyn

Have attached by Rice/Barlow bibliography - you should be able to pick out the Tregarrick-related articles by title - Graham Woodruffattachicon.gifIain Rice.doc

Graham

Very many thanks for this comprehensive list!!  All I need now is a second mortgage to buy the back numbers......

• 2 weeks later...

Have now tracked down many of these magazines.  The one I can't find anywhere is Model Railways for June 1978.  Any ideas where I might find one??  Have trawled through ebay and Magazine Exchange with no luck.  Could anyone possible scan and send the article on the Neilson Box tanks in this issue??

Have now tracked down many of these magazines.  The one I can't find anywhere is Model Railways for June 1978.  Any ideas where I might find one??  Have trawled through ebay and Magazine Exchange with no luck.  Could anyone possible scan and send the article on the Neilson Box tanks in this issue??

I've got that mag - PM me with how you want me to send the scans?

Phil

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

The North Cornwall Mineral was always one of my favourites and a huge influence on my own modelling - in particular my North Somerset Light projects - Tucking Mill and William Smith's Wharf to date. 

Iain brought some of the locos up to Larkrail a few years and they are seen here posed on the under construction Wharf alongside a pair of 2mm models of Bodmin. I'd love a Neilson box tank in 2mm like Pioneer but I suspect something  like Hercules is a more realistic prospect!

Jerry

IMG_0396.JPG.9830f6476b1acabb9839427a099e3fe5.JPG

IMG_0398.JPG.740d21fdcead5ada4431efe371291dc4.JPG 

Edited by queensquare
  • Like 13