Transhipment

Chameleon

I am thinking of including a short bit of standard gauge in the corner of my 009 layout for transhipment of slate/rock/ore etc. How was this done where narrow gauge railways met standard gauge, (Ffestiniog,Talyllyn etc) What sort of wagons were used and was it cross platform or were cranes used?

It all depends on the type of railway:

-Some of the welsh slate quarries actually ran their narrow gauge trains on to standard gauge wagons,

- The Leek and Manifold did exactly the opposite and transported standard a gauge wagons on narrow agauge flat trucks

- the L&B had shared platforms for passengers and simple parallel sidings for goods.

Don't forget that most often the choice to build a narrow gauge railway was financially based (I.e. It was cheaper). If they exchanged with standard gauge at all it was most often done cheaply and in the most simple ways

• RMweb Gold

It all depends on the type of railway:

-Some of the welsh slate quarries actually ran their narrow gauge trains on to standard gauge wagons,

I guess you're thinking of the Padarn and it was actually 4ft gauge carrier wagons that took four 2ft ng wagons, not standard gauge, and the slates were hand transferred again to standard gauge.

Top pic here

http://historypoints.org/index.php?page=padarn-railway-host-wagon

Rather nice G64 models here too

http://dave-mills.yolasite.com/models-in-progress.php

Slates had to be stacked by hand and they lost money on the breakages.

As said above it was quite common for the ng to be at the floor height of the SG and goods were hand moved. Larger items would be craned or on a trolley. Coal was just shovelled across and most other goods were boxed or bagged and carried over.

The Leek and Manifold moved milk in SG tanks by three types of transporter wagons in two lengths. There are photos of open wagons on them too so I assume some large general goods were moved that way too.

http://railthing.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/leek-and-manifold.html?m=1

So for your layout a sunken SG track alongside the NG wharf with one or a few NG sidings depending on the amount of goods transferred.

Edited by PaulRhB

I guess you're thinking of the Padarn and it was actually 4ft gauge carrier wagons that took four 2ft ng wagons, not standard gauge, and the slates were hand transferred again to standard gauge.

No - both the LNWR and the GWR had standard gauge transporter wagons for 2' gauge wagons; used from Blaenau Festiniog to their respective shipping outlets.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Gold

No - both the LNWR and the GWR had standard gauge transporter wagons for 2' gauge wagons; used from Blaenau Festiniog to their respective shipping outlets.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Never seen those mentioned before ;)

So I had a search and they ran a short trip before transshipment to SG wagons again.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/2-track/02track4.htm

Edited by PaulRhB

Never seen those mentioned before ;)

So I had a search and they ran a short trip before transshipment to SG wagons again.

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/gansg/2-track/02track4.htm

Didn't the LNWR ones run down to the port - quite a decent run?

I'm sure that I've seen a photo of NG slate wagons on a quay which had no NG connection; (Caernarvon?).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Didn't the LNWR ones run down to the port - quite a decent run?

I'm sure that I've seen a photo of NG slate wagons on a quay which had no NG connection; (Caernarvon?).

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Me too -  I've seen photos of LNWR long wheelbase flats carrying n.g. slate wagons on Deganwy quay.   FWIW an old MRC c.1965 had info/drawings of the GWR wagons used to carry n.g. slate wagons from Manod to Blaenau Ffestiniog.

Ray.

Edited by Marshall5

A couple of other ideas, the Snailbeach District Railway had a narrow gauge siding at Pontesbury running on a pier over a standard gauge siding; Ore hoppers with bottom doors were discharged straight into std. Gauge wagons below:

https://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/images/stories/railways/snailbeach/pontesbury%20c.1926.jpg

In the Buckley area (N. Wales), bricks were carried in narrow gauge "Shipping Boxes" (basically small wooden flat wagons with ends); these were pushed straight onto special std gauge Traders PO flat wagons with ends (EG Buckley Traders Society, which would hold 6 or 8 shipping boxes), and held in place by a simple drop down bar on each side. These were then taken down the Buckley Branch to Connahs Quay Docks where the shipping boxes were lifted on to ships by crane/derrick. This practice continued into the early 60s but using standard open wagons which had replaced the earlier Traders wagons.

As a general rule whatever was the easiest practical method of transhipping the particular commodity would be employed to keep labour costs to a minimum.

Thanks for all that. Suppose the simple option is a short platform with the ng running along it with recessed at on the other side. Mind you I like the idea of loading slate wagons onto standard gauge...

Does anyone do a kit of those transporter wagons?

Edited by Chameleon

Thanks for all that. Suppose the simple option is a short platform with the ng running along it with recessed at on the other side. Mind you I like the idea of loading slate wagons onto standard gauge...

I've looked into doing the GWR transporters, but haven't yet. They're going to be quite awkward. They were only used between Tan y Manod and Blaenau yard. 

The LNWR ran it's transporters from Blaenau to Deganwy, nowhere near Caernarfon. Caernarfon shipped slate from SG wagons which would have been loaded at Dinas for the NWNG, or Nantlle. Some of the Nantlle quarries had SG rail connection. 

Edited by Quarryscapes

The LNWR ran it's transporters from Blaenau to Deganwy, nowhere near Caernarfon.

I did add a question mark after the Caernarvon suggestion - I didn't have time to plough through my library of North Wales NG books, I'm afraid.

Regards,

John Isherwood.

Those LNWR ones in Paul's link above look very much like the 2-plank dropsides from the Ratio 'Permanent way wagons' set of kits...

The Ravenglass and Eskdale (when in 15" form) had a wagon tippler at Ravenglass to transfer crushed granite from narrow to standard gauge until 1928.  For a short period the tippler was replaced by bottom discharge hoppers, before the whole lot was replaced by a standard gauge branch to the crushers at Murthwaite iin 1929.

Edited to add:

The Glyn Valley Tramway also had a wagon tippler for transferring crushed granite from narrow to standard gauge at Chirk.

Edited by eastglosmog

• RMweb Gold

Minffordd yard on the Festiniog line had  a sort of interleaved yard with high and low level lines - there were chutes from standard gauge wagons downwards to load coal into narrow gauge, and higher level narrow gauge to allow level loading of slates. Some good images on the Festiniog wiki page

• RMweb Premium

The Talyllyn Railway had a neat arrangement at the Wharf in pre preservation days. There was a small fan of sidings, each ending in a wagon turntable. A line ran square on to the sidings through each of the turntables. A standard guage siding ran parallel with this at a lower level, so that both Railways wagons were side by side with their floors at the same height, making transference easy. There was no run round loop, leaving the Wharf the line rose after the main road bridge, so arriving coaches or wagons could be pushed back up, held on the handbrake and the loco run clear, then the rolling stock roll into the yard using gravity. Here's a photo in the early preservation days before the yard was rebuilt, and the BR siding taken out.post-26540-0-23112500-1499350510_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

A couple of other ideas, the Snailbeach District Railway had a narrow gauge siding at Pontesbury running on a pier over a standard gauge siding; Ore hoppers with bottom doors were discharged straight into std. Gauge wagons below:

https://www.hfstephens-museum.org.uk/images/stories/railways/snailbeach/pontesbury%20c.1926.jpg

In the Buckley area (N. Wales), bricks were carried in narrow gauge "Shipping Boxes" (basically small wooden flat wagons with ends); these were pushed straight onto special std gauge Traders PO flat wagons with ends (EG Buckley Traders Society, which would hold 6 or 8 shipping boxes), and held in place by a simple drop down bar on each side. These were then taken down the Buckley Branch to Connahs Quay Docks where the shipping boxes were lifted on to ships by crane/derrick. This practice continued into the early 60s but using standard open wagons which had replaced the earlier Traders wagons.

As a general rule whatever was the easiest practical method of transhipping the particular commodity would be employed to keep labour costs to a minimum.

As  a  Buckley  dweller!  I thought  readers  might  like  to  know  that,  a  couple  of  years   or  so  ago  the  town  council  did  a  town  centre  revamp, and  removed  all benches,  they  were  replaced  with   replica  shipping  boxes,  complete  with  wheels,  set  into  the  pavement on 'track'  the  only   part  they  lack  are  the  ends,  there  are  around  18 of  these  sited  in  pairs,  surprisingly  none  appear  to  have  been  vandalised  and  none  have disappeared  down  the  nearby  hill.

Next  time  I go  to  the  town  centre  I will photograph them!

As  a  Buckley  dweller!  I thought  readers  might  like  to  know  that,  a  couple  of  years   or  so  ago  the  town  council  did  a  town  centre  revamp, and  removed  all benches,  they  were  replaced  with   replica  shipping  boxes,  complete  with  wheels,  set  into  the  pavement on 'track'  the  only   part  they  lack  are  the  ends,  there  are  around  18 of  these  sited  in  pairs,  surprisingly  none  appear  to  have  been  vandalised  and  none  have disappeared  down  the  nearby  hill.

Next  time  I go  to  the  town  centre  I will photograph them!

Thanks Steve, wasn't aware of that, only in Flint myself so will have to look out for them next time I'm passing through, the Buckley area and its substantial network of old railways and tramways serving the many brickworks, clay pits and collieries fascinates me.

With apologies to the OP if slightly off topic.

Martyn.

Re  the  Buckley  area,   quite  a  comprehensive  book  by  James I C Boyd   'The Wrexham  Mold  &  Connahs  Quay  Railway'  sometimes  available  quite  cheaply on  eBay  or  Amazon, 

I was  more  than  a  little  surprised  to  find  out  about  my  own  area  when  I  read  it!

The  LNER  in  North  Wales  who  would  have  thought  it!

• Like 1