Billington Road - 00/009

trainfan

Something I've been working on for a while now is my main OO/009 layout. With the small 009 layout disposed of due to lack of room, this is all I now have to run my small 009 fleet on. Not a lot, but it's enough.

A bit of background into the layout before the main post (yes, I've nicked the post from my until now dormant blog). The layout was started Mid 2012 as a pure OO layout to replace my then roundy roundy train set as an attempt for a 'serious' layout using the Hornby Select controller. It's set in Kent in the modern day as a terminus for a preserved railway. Trains were always kept fairly short (2 coaches) until later 2015 then a second much longer platform was installed allowing 3 coaches (and a happier me as a result!). Minimum Radi is 2nd on pointwork and in the station area with the main curve being 3rd from memory. So when did the 009 come into the picture? In early 2013, the pure 009 layout that was booked to go to the Sussex Downs Members Day, 'slightly' blew up its electronics (that's what I get from wiring something up as a teenager in the middle of exams!). So a rapid section of 009 was laid on the new layout so it would 'fit in' as its replacement. For reference, The layout that tried to self-combust successfully made it to the same show 2 years later with no issues. Originally, it was DC before as part of the rewire for a new Gaugemaster controller, was wired into the main DCC power bus. However, most of my DCC fleet has been sold on so.... changes were needed. 

After sitting on the windowsill for nearly 2 years without any use/work, I finally decided to get the OO/009 layout running again. It, fortunately, didn't need much work for the OO. Only needed track cleaning, dust removing and cobwebs removing then it started to work again! The 009, however, was another matter. As well as the other work, it needed converting from DCC to DC. An easy task you'd think. Nope. The way the layout sits on the windowsill, getting underneath it to remove something from the main wiring is a nightmare. Fortunately, two little tugs pulled the track feeds off the main DCC power bus with ease (I must have done a good job of soldering it on NOT). One quick rewire later, now the 009 runs on DC. Seeing as it's the only 009 section of track I now have, running it on DC is probably for the best/involves the least risk.

_DSC0001.JPG

The overall layout

_DSC0002.JPG

The newly DCed 009 section. Now working better than it did on DCC!

_DSC0003.JPG

The Main Station area. Not bad for effectively a glorified inglenook with coaches!

_DSC0004.JPG

The 4 stars of the current OO Passenger Fleet. Bachmann 4575, Bachmann E4 and Oxford Rail Adams Radial. Other locos do see use from time to time.

_DSC0005.JPG

The two current 009 stars. A pair of until now unrun. Now running nicely.

_DSC0006.JPG

When you need bigger engines, these 2 and the C class tend to get used. The fact they're both sound fitted has nothing to do with it. Honest!

What needs doing, the back of the layout needs tidying up as well as sorting out an engine shed for the 009. Then its Backscenes, detailing and sorting out the fencing as well.

It's getting there is the phrase I'd use. 

Jon

• Like 2