Bachmann Press Day - July 2017

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

I agree with Grahame, in the early1960's I discovered 'Kitmaster Mk1's' and assembled quite a few of them. I painted them (usually Chocolate & Cream) and a shop in Chester asked if he could see what I had done. Next time I went there (it was the shop I bought the kits from) and he asked how many I had built and I told him. His answer was he had a buyer for them and would I like to sell them, stating there were no Choc & Creams available at that time and that he could sell as many as I could produce, so I sold them all to him and never returned to Kit building. My weakness at that time was lining out, unlike our veritable 'master' Coachman.

The dealer too suggested I buy a lining pen and learn how to use it. Before deciding to do this my life suddenly changed as I moved away from home and concentrated on my new Job. Kitmaster seemed to be quite good to me and I see they are still sold on E-bay. Now I can afford to buy what I want (and perhaps indulge too much). But, at that time I did not complain as I never visualised my self succeeding to the extent I have, but enjoyed building the kits and other items. I stayed away from model railways for 30 odd years. Such is life.

Andy

I built three Kitmaster mk1s at around the same time; I was 10 or 11 and found them not only shake the box easy to buildbut able to go around trainset curves; this was before Triang introduced 'scale length' CKD, which were at least lined.  £10/6d (52p), I think, 4 weeks pocket money.  LIning Kitmasters was beyond me then.  They were a benchmark for many years after their withdrawal from the market because of the scale depth of the near flush windows.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I, along with many others, will happily pay a premium for a quality product. Low volume / high spec is perfect in my book. Just keep going the way you are gents.

Roy

Totally in agreement with that! SLW's Class 24's are fine examples of that as well.

• 11 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Bachmann usually have a trade day or days around 20/25 July. Does anyone know if it happened, or is happening, this year? As I trawled back through the Bachmann listings, I came across this thread, which also begs the question - was there a Bachmann press day this year?

If so, were any new products shown? Photos please!

John Storey

• RMweb Premium

From what I recall reading on another thread, probably buried underneath loads of posts about what many are now reclassifying as mythical 94xx's, it is later this year, the day before the Collectors Club Members Day, September I think.