Electric Railway Museum, Coventry, to close.

Wolf27

The powercar does belong to the NRM. It's was next on list to restore after Hastings but, alas that won't happen now. The NRM are considering plans for the powercar, which I'm sure will be announced in due course.

Cheers

Shane

• Like 2

Guest spet0114

The powercar does belong to the NRM. It's was next on list to restore after Hastings but, alas that won't happen now. The NRM are considering plans for the powercar, which I'm sure will be announced in due course.

Cheers

Shane

Based on their own recent form, that'll probably mean de-accession from the national collection. :-(

Cheers

Shane

Keep a lookout on eBay.

• 2 weeks later...

Is there a 309 EMU on site and dose anybody know what will happen to that when the site closes 

Terry.

Yes, there is at least part of a 309 there. There's photos from my past visits (last was  July) on my flickr. No idea where it is heading however.

Don't forget, this Sunday is your last opportunity to visit....

Unfortuately I'm at Gaydon for the Great Electric Train show, helping operate layouts. But we (myself and Natalie), might well try to swing by Sunday morning before going on to Gaydon to get a last look around etc.

• Like 1

It is the 309s that are the most important - the first main line express EMUs. Being 25KV that might even stand a chance of operating on the odd branchline (like Walton) from time to time if they can be found a rail-connected home - the remaining six cars are a useful length train. After divying up what to me was a considerable sum to help get them to Coventry it will be sad to see them go after having made it this far. At least I got to see them in Coventry for which I am grateful

There are plenty of places looking after steam, it is time the national collection focused on what really needs their help so the important exhibits can be seen ideally operating but at least displayed with some attractive historical context. 

If I won the lottery that 309 would be going mainline as an eight car with the griddle reinstated!!  Might be useful for charters too, even as hauled stock.

There is of course a spare trailer to drop in, which helps:

6887550331_0c7a9abf8e_b.jpg

Edited by Titan
  • Like 1

60x were 2-car, 61x were 4-car with griddle, and 62x were 4-car without griddle originally. In later life they were all converted to 4-car without griddle and I used to travel in them as 12-car sets of three units. The two remaining at Coventry were reduced to 3-car in departmental service for the Old Dalby testing.

• RMweb Premium

Nothing. It's purely down to proving that it can be done without introducing an unacceptable risk.

There is no legal reason why the East Lancs couldn't install 25kV if they wanted to. It's just money and desire. Or they could put some of that side contact 1200V DC that they had round there pre metrolink. Or the Bluebell railway could rebuild the Ardingly line with 750V DC if they wanted. Or the Epping & Ongar could install a 4 rail DC system.

I don't think any of that is likely because it would be extremely expensive in terms of preserved railways and electric traction doesn't pull in Mr & Mrs Family, but it could all be done within the law as it stands now.

One of the most repeated myths about electric railway preservation is that "volunteers would never be allowed to do that, you'd never get a safety case".  The AC Loco group pretty comprehensively disproved that by putting 86101 back on the main line.

Some years ago I worked on the Eurofighter Typhoon operational safety case.  That's a jet that costs about £30M to build, with a pilot that costs about £10M to train, can do Mach 2 and carries enough firepower to flatten about a square kilometer of a city.  Nowhere in that safety case did it say that anyone involved in any way with its design, operation or maintenance had to be paid.  They just had to be competent.

One of the most repeated myths about electric railway preservation is that "volunteers would never be allowed to do that, you'd never get a safety case".  The AC Loco group pretty comprehensively disproved that by putting 86101 back on the main line.

I know what you're saying, but the days of the Titfield villagers restarting their railway service or a group of Schoolboys buying a 14xx are well and truly over. The ACLG in this case already had some pretty competent engineers already on board, and in particular a business tenacity that saw redundant locos exported and how to drag units without barrier/translator coaches.

Although some societies do rely on keen enthusiasts without a lot of direct railway experience, sooner or later you've going to meet some pretty big bills for commercial work- either for direct maintenance or ancillaries such as storage fees or insurance. It might be telling in the grander scheme of things that the ACLG has less volunteer days and more simple excercises such as repaints are done by contractors.

• RMweb Premium

I went there to day and it was well attended very busy with people milling about

post-6815-0-60643300-1507491354_thumb.jpg

post-6815-0-46998700-1507491407_thumb.jpg

post-6815-0-03508100-1507491474_thumb.jpg

post-6815-0-35352000-1507491763_thumb.jpg

post-6815-0-49896800-1507491809_thumb.jpg

post-6815-0-65886000-1507491846_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately there some rolling stock that I could not get any good positions to photograph them.

I did have a quick chat with one of the volunteers at the site, by All accounts all the stock on the site have new homes to go. But an announcement will be made on Monday sometime. 

Enjoy the pictures, they where the best that I could get 

Terry.

• Like 4