Space

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Fantastic, a big reflection on Spanish culture. I think a few more generations will need to pass before more recent history becomes an attraction, and something that they will really get involved in. At present it is just a mild curiosity, except for the few

I will have to come up for a visit, probably in November, and also if possible view your modelling activities

Ron

Fantastic, a big reflection on Spanish culture. I think a few more generations will need to pass before more recent history becomes an attraction, and something that they will really get involved in. At present it is just a mild curiosity, except for the few

I will have to come up for a visit, probably in November, and also if possible view your modelling activities

Ron

Ron,

Extremely kind of you.

And you are most welcome to see the museum, and the layouts under construction.

I'll send you a "message" about times etc.....

Edited by 71000
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

New Years Resolution.

1. Visit you.

Mike.

Mike,

You are most welcome. Just send me a message via the RM "messenger" as and when you plan comig to visit. Then I can try and be present to give you a guided tour, and we can include a trip to the Model layout workshop if you are interested.

Edited by 71000
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Mike,

You are most welcome. Just send me a message via the RM "messenger" as and when you plan comig to visit. Then I can try and be present to give you a guided tour, and we can include a trip to the Model layout workshop if you are interested.

Most definitely will be coming for the package deal, will need to sort some form of accomodation out though or I'll hav e no time to take it all in.

Refrettably won't be turning up in Rocket Ron fashion though!

Feliz Navidad.

Mike.

Most definitely will be coming for the package deal, will need to sort some form of accomodation out though or I'll hav e no time to take it all in.

Refrettably won't be turning up in Rocket Ron fashion though!

Feliz Navidad.

Mike.

Edited by 71000
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Above: About 6 minutes after the electrically hauled freight moved off, the points changed and this diesel hauled container freight began moving out onto the single track line. This Class 335 Co-Co is a product built in Spain and reputedly 4,000hp, using a GM power plant. The Operator "Transitia rail" is new, and I can't find any reliable info as to the technicalities of the loco or the operator as yet. Which was a primary reason for grabbing these pictures.  

Here is some info from Wikipedia regarding the Euro4000 loco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vossloh_Euro

And this is the info on Transitia Rail from Ferropedia. I can only find it in Spanish.

http://www.ferropedia.es/wiki/Transitia_Rail

Here is some info from Wikipedia regarding the Euro4000 loco.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vossloh_Euro

And this is the info on Transitia Rail from Ferropedia. I can only find it in Spanish.

http://www.ferropedia.es/wiki/Transitia_Rail

Well done that man. I wasted 20 minutes on Wikipedia and didn't turn up a thing.  The one in the photo being the first one I have seen, and the first time I have come across this operator. So the Museum "boss" was approximately correct when he said 4,000hp and a GM EMD clone.  It's obviously a bit to new for our collection, so well just have to let it pass......

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

MORA LA NOVA RAILWAY CENTRE & MUSEUM

post-29782-0-10518000-1513936479.gif

Spanish National Railways logo

The Party Continues !

And the telephone rang just as I was trying to wake myself up in the shower this morning (Thursday).

"No I'm still asleep" I answered the phone...

So the Boss replied "You had better come quick. The cranes have arrived and they have already lifted the loco, and are now extracting the damaged wheelset."

So a quick cup of coffee to try and wake up, and I found myself zooming along the bypass to get to the Museum as quckly as possible. Indeed crossing the long River Ebre bridge the cranes could be clearly seen over a mile away.

Above: The rather dramatic scene that greeted me around 11.00am, outside the back of our Museum. Two large road cranes. The white one having a 150 tonne capacity and the yellow one a staggering 300 tonnes. Attended by a host of support vehicles. In the middle of what looks like chaos, is the damaged loco, already having been lifted once to roll out the damaged wheelset.

Above: The damaged wheelset is seen having been disconnected from the traction motor and other parts, immediately infront of the locomotive. The new wheelset is to the left, with the axleboxes already hung loosely on the axle ends. Note they even remembered to bring a wheeled toolbox with them. The red box to the right with two fitters standing next to it.  

Above: Just to the right of the Engineer in high viz jacket and grey trousers, can be seen the Traction motor sitting on the soft grey matting provided. To the left of the Engineer and fitter dressed in white, is the damaged wheelset still sitting in its "Skate". The coiled spring standing on the concrete is one of the four suspension coils required for each axle. To the right of the picture, the red and white painted column is actually one of the hydraulic stabiliser feet of the 150 tonne crane. Itself standing on a load spreading steel box plate.    

The situation with the damaged class 335. 4,000hp GM powered and Vossloh (Valencia) built (in 2008) loco. Is such that this valuable machine needs to be back at work as soon as possible. Continental Rail the current operator of the loco, do not have spare locos for such unforseen eventualities. This it seems had focused minds, as normally things take a while in Spain, and we had thought it might be Friday or even the following Monday before repairs could be effected.

Above: Having extracted the damaged wheelset, I was able to get a better close up than the previous nights shot taken under the loco. In this shot two nasty nicks can be seen in the flange. Along with some damage to the tyre rim, most likely a result of when it bounced back onto the rails.  

Above: The damaged wheelset about to be lifted by the 20ton crane onto the flatbed articulated lorry. 

Above: During the lift of the damaged wheelset.

Above: Turning now to the new wheelset, with the axleboxes and their extensions just slid onto the axles.

But the repair engineers from the contracted maintenance company "Erion" had already begun arriving at 08.00hrs. Some from as far away as Madrid. To begin preparing the locomotive to lift it, so the damaged axle could be removed. By 09.00hrs two very large road cranes had arrived, from a local company "Romani" in Amposta. These being a 150ton vehicle (coloured white in the pictures) and an even larger 300 ton crane (coloured yellow in the pictures). A van load of Renfe staff also arrived to give advice and check work proceeded in accordance with Railway requirements. A local lorry with a 20ton capacity lift crane attached also arrived to aid with lifting smaller items. So the Party was now really starting to swing.

Above: An overall view of the proceedings at this stage. A electrically hauled freight train waiting in one of the station loops can just be seen in the background .

Above: Over our storage container can now be seen the 20tonne crane lifting the "Skate" onto the lorry already holding the damaged wheelset. 

Some parts on the loco, such as the air intake grilles were partially removed inside our museum. Before our diesel loco very gently propelled tha damaged loco out through the rear Museum door into the "back yard". This occured while the two large cranes also prepared themselves. They were accompanied by two flatbed articualted lorries, carrying all sorts of heavy weights and various other alternative parts, needed for the numerous and varied jobs these vehicles encounter. So it took over an hour to get the two cranes maneouvred into suitable positions, and all the relevant attachments fitted to them.

Above: A closer view of the Traction motor, with one of the fitters cleaning muck from sensitive parts before adding a silicone grease to resist water ingress.

Above: Another fitter, already starting to attend and prepare the new wheelset. This reveals the drive cog on the axle proper. The axleboxes and their extension arms. And in the extension arm closest, a circular recess where one of the suspension springs will fit.

Having positioned the 130 tonne loco, it was lifted into the air by a few feet to allow the repair engineers to get underneath. First they rolled out the "Skate" that the damaged wheelset had been riding on. The locomotives engine had to also be started, as the engine could provide the air supply necessary to operate some of the heavy duty air operated tools, necessary to take the front of the bogie to pieces. As the museum does not have an air system suitable for such tools. The engineers then had to disconnect part of the bogie and the suspension system of the front axle. Further as the loco has "Nose suspended traction motors" the traction motor attached to the front axle wheelset also had to be disconnected simultaneously so that the whole unit. Wheels, axleboxes, suspension and the traction motor could be carefully rolled out as one unit. 

Above: turning now to the underside of the loco where the missing wheelset is normally located. This is a side view, with the end of the bogie frame at the top of the picture, and immediately below it a side view of the brake pad assembly for the wheel on this side.

Above: Looking up underneath the loco, we can see almost dead centre a square opening at the bottom edge of a fllexible bellows. This is part of the traction motor blower system which provides cooling air. The four cables passing infront of the blower channel are the cables to provide power to the DC traction motor.

Above: An almost head on shot of the brake pad assembly for the wheel on this side of the loco.

Once the traction motor, axleboxes and suspension system parts relating to the front axle, were rolled out. Work then had to proceed to seperate all these pieces. The traction motor which weighs around 5 tons, had to be held by the 20ton crane as it was disconnected, or risk squashing someones foot. Having removed it and lowered it onto some special matting that had been broght along to keep the ever present dust at bay. The damaged wheelset was finally wheeled free. The loco was then lowered back onto the rails, minus the front axle, traction motor and parts of the bogie and suspension.

Above: A side view of the loco and the bogie with only two of the three axles in place. The bogie only droops slightly !

Above: The heavy duty 300 tonne road crane vehicle.

Above: The still formidable 150 tonne raod crane.

By this time yet another articulated lorry had arrived with a complete replacement wheelset. So the new wheelset was craned off the articulated lorry, and the damaged one lited on. All these heavy items having to be chocked and strapped to the lorry. So lots of jobs for a large number of workers, as well as crane drivers. In all as seen in the pictures there were around 18 people directly involved in the job. So having got the damaged wheelset out the job of ptreparing the new wheelset began. This included cleaning dust off, adding grease and certain other lubricants to various parts. The gear on the axle which meshes with a smaller gear on the end of the traction motor, has a two part cover (lower and upper) that was full of grease, but needed the joins carefully cleaned of dust and other detrious, before it was carefully greased to ensure a tight dustproof fit. All these little jobs being done by various fitters and engineers, to prepare the new axle to be meshed with the traction motor. The axleboxes and suspension parts then put back on the axle end, and these connected to the traction motor.

Above: The 20 tonne raod crane holding the traction motor as the fitters try and get it re-attached to the wheelset. Note the fitter in yellow high viz jacket is carefully watching to see the smaller cog on the Traction motor meshes correctly with the larger drive axle cog. 

Above: Having got the Traction motor reconnected to the wheelset, the crane operator in blue and red jacket (right) with radio controlled control box in his hands is watching carefully to see how the far side axlebox and suspension gear is reconnected to the whole assembly.   

Above: In this shot the fitters are struggling a little to replace the upper and lower gear cog covers. The strategically placed "boot" is pressing down on the upper cover. 

At this point (14.00hrs) lunchtime had arrived. So the whole force climbed into various vehicles, and along with a handfull of Museum members we all trooped off for another hearty Spanish lunch. During lunch the "Erion" Chief of outside works revealed that the company didn't have repair facilities in Catalonia, as Continental Rail it seems didn't until more recently have any work that brought their locos our way. As this Managerial engineer had obviously already assessed the potential of our Museum, he has suggested we might like a loose contract to provide similar facilities in future. He also revealed that they have an old but still fully functional "Wheel Drop" machine which will fit the space we made for such equipment in our main pit. As the one we were going to receive from Renfe, got mistakenly sent to the scrap pile, "The boss" jumped at the offer. So if the one on offer fits our pit, it seems we may get an otherwise expensive piece of useful machinery, which will also allow us to do a deal to provide basic repair facilities for "Erion". As well as deal with a number of wheel removing problems of various locomotives that we would have to hire in expensive cranes, similar to the ones seen in the pictures.

Above: And just in time for lunch, the whole assembly is now ready to be refitted to the loco

Above: Well lunch was so good, we were a bit late getting back on site, and the loco had already been lifted completely over the wheelset, rather than try moving the wheelset and traction motor under the loco. So the nice shiny wheelset is basically in place. With just a few more plates to be fitted to the almost white new bogie connecting brackets.

So after lunch it was back to the job in hand. The new wheelset, its traction motor, axleboxes and suspension parts having been made ready. The complete loco was lifted over the wheelset, rather than try wheeling the heavy traction motor and wheelset under the loco. However as the loco was not over a pit outside the Museum, it was not possible to reconnect the traction motor electrical cables or certain other items hidden away underneath, and now out of reach due to the main parts having been re-assembled.

Above: At the other end of the loco, one of the crane operators is already disconnecting the heavy steel cables from the loco.

Above: Well almost time to start up the locomotive. So the "Erion" Locomotive maintenance contractors "Outdoor Manager" is conducting our bosses son "Senor Atomic" through the loco to the cab. So the young lad can actually do the honours and start the loco. 

At this point the "Outside works manager" invited "The Bosses" son 9 year old "Senor Atomic" as he has been nicknamed. To come and start the locomotive, in preperation to carefully move the loco back inside, and over our pit. This was duly done, and this large loco carefully and slowly under its own power but with only 5 traction motors electrically connected, moved itself back inside the Museum, and over the pit. The final cables and other items such as the air intake meshes, were then refitted to the locomotive.  As it was now 19.00hrs, and the locomotive was now re-assembled. The various workers, fitters and engineers, started heading their various ways home.

Above: Just moments before young "Senor Atomic" pressed the button to restart the loco, the "Outdoor Manager" is leaning from the cab window to check that all staff are clear of the loco. The cranes as can be seen are now swung out of the way and the crane staff are busily dismantling the extra weights and other accessories fitted for this heavy lift job.

In the morning the Tecsa driver Mark, who is also one of our members is due to return. It seems he is going to give the loco a gentle test on our tracks. Which is a good excuse to do a little more shunting. And put a number of bits of rolling stock back into their previous positions. This includes one of the coaches for our tourist train, which is already part way through restoration, and needs to go over the pit where the repaired diesel is currently parked. Assuming the test run up and down the Yard proves successful someone from Renfe should give it clearance to go back on the mainline, and I think its booked to go to Tarragona to take up its next job.                                              

Above: A short while later, and a very happy young "Senor Atomic" beams from the cab window, having also helped it seems to drive the loco slowly back inside the Museum over the pit !

Edited by 71000
  • Like 6

An interesting read - thanks for posting.

I visited the railway museum in Madrid ten days ago, two hours will get you around and it contains an interesting and eclectic mix of steam, electric and diesel stock. However, it is poorly lit - mostly daylight from high-up, making photography difficult -  and crammed in, nose to tail, on two lines. It looks as though most of the exhibits are cosmetic restorations only, too. No real thought has been given to the display but space I guess has been the bigger consideration.

It was interesting to see the Talgo II and some Fiat railcar / DMUs, as well as some really vintage steam.

This beast is very much from your neck of the woods:

39766498795_687a0b4ed3_k.jpg

26790275718_eb964a9988_h.jpg

The museum also houses a largish model railway and a huge collection of locos in HO and OO.

Tony

• Like 2

Fantastic reading thank you. Greatly enjoyed learning about the efforts being made in what seems to be a sceptical public domain. All credit to your "Boss" for his enthusiasm and foresight.

Martin Long

Thanks for the reply. Do I understand that Madrid's steamers are capable of moving under their own steam then?  A lot of them did look somewhat worn out and the repaints were not particularity good.

This was rather fun though: took me back to the centre-spread cutaways in The Eagle in the '60s!

39951594284_587d443616_k.jpg

What surprised me most about the Madrid museum though was the total lack of useful bilingual captioning for the exhibits. For a major tourist destination in Spain, a cultured city with world class galleries and museums, all able to cater in many languages for visitors, the Railway Museum was still in the Stone Age: no guidebooks, a pitiful shop and largely disinterested staff.

All that said, it is still worth an hour or two of one's time [whereas your's looks to be worth a day].

Tony.