Hi all, this is a new thread of one of my previous topics. As the title suggests I am going to try and build a layout for £100 which is a challenge for any modeller. I currently model for just £10 a month and enjoy (and hate most times) the challenges that it presents me. This £100 layout challenge will be set in a modern image suburb/industrial area and will be dcc controlled or analogue controlled.

• Like 4

Looks like you can afford a diorama of one DCC tank loco on one length of code 75 track, if you buy new, maybe add in a second hand wagon or a Oxford Diecasts car....

I bought 2 X 00 locos and 3 coaches off Ebay for £8.80 the other week.....

I like a good challenge against building a layout, be it space, budget, time etc. Here's one contender for a/the loco:

http://www.hattons.co.uk/164416/Hornby_R3486_Class_66_66185_DP_World_London_Gateway_in_DB_Schenker_livery/StockDetail.aspx

Although not to a strict budget, I am trying to keep the costs of building my future exhibition layout as low as possible.

Edited by SVRlad

Really interested in how this will turn out.

Track plan (on other thread) looks good. I assume the platform will be large enough to hold two units so it would give you ability to run 142, 143/4, 150, 153, 156 and 158 units. On a budget, the Hornby class 142 and Lima class 156 are great starting points.

At a VERY rough estimate, a class 153 (single unit) is 1 foot long. So the platform would need to be 2 foot long.

Good luck

• Like 1

One of the first model railway magazines I had when I joined the hobby (in 1984!) was about building a layout for £100, so with 30 years of inflation I can imagine the challenge. That said, I have thought that it would be a great exercise if the layout itself (minus control equipment and stock) could be done for that amount as it would encourage a lot of initiative and resourcefulness. And cornflake eating when a ready supply of cardboard is needed!!

Good luck and will watch with interest!

Here's one money-saving trick. About April last year I bought a jacket which as it had to survive a long and probably bumpy ride from Lancashire came in a huge square cardboard box. But a year on and among other additions to my layout was a Baccy 16T mineral wagon, which for my future layout would need coal in. So to save buying extra cardboard I cut enough to make a wagon load stand. Being a working member of the SVR, I acquired a lump of coal from Bewdley, smashed it with a hammer and put it in the wagon. It was my first attempt, so perhaps I put too much of too large lumps in, but as my first attempt I'm very proud of it.

I appreciate you probably won't have coal for a modern layout, but you could do the same for perhaps ballast or log wagons.

post-31351-0-78787100-1499953700_thumb.jpg

Hi Luke, it's always nice to see layouts built on a tight budget. Baseboards the main issue I know a couple of modellers have looked at storage boxes or toy boxes. I'm currently in the process of Buiding Arley Station on the Severn Valley for under £100, using a Toy box as a baseboard. All I've done is strengthen it with off cuts of 6mm ply. This is what I've used for the board

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161969839530

Jaymes

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Sounds good. I've looked into cheap tables but all don't fit my needs so I have settled on using re-enforced wooden supermarket fruit crates. These are made up of thin mdf and are a very standard size so very easy to glue together.

Which supermarkets use the wooden crates? Only seen cardboard used locally here in Dorset and curious as they read like something I could use for future projects; possibly for stock trays. Saw one mentioned in someone else's post recently too.

• RMweb Gold

I use shelves or table tops from IKEA...

Sheep Lanes base boards were £18.00 for both, scenic was 10 and fiddle yard 8. Total cost of layout came in at roughly £150.00. Roughly 12 months work from start to 1st exhibition.

Mutton now under construction has cost about £100.00 to get to this stage. Base boards came to £44.00

Stock is extra.

post-14122-0-70696100-1499958368_thumb.jpg

post-14122-0-76027200-1499958522_thumb.jpg

Edited by nhy581
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

I get them from lidl and they normally put strawberries in them. I will go and to a picture of them now

Cheers. Not the one's we normally use, but there are local outlets for both Lidl & Morrisons, so will pop in while strawbs are still in season.

Edited by john new

Just looking into other potential baseboards and I seem to remember people building layouts on thick light blue/pink boards of foam. Can any one remember what it is called - it would be very helpful?

Is it styrofoam you mean? Certainly meets the thick, blue foam description

Edited by MatthewEWS

• RMweb Gold

Just looking into other potential baseboards and I seem to remember people building layouts on thick light blue/pink boards of foam. Can any one remember what it is called - it would be very helpful?

Can't remember the name but recall people saying it comes from builders merchants. The key tip I've seen, and logged for my card bases, is use a hardboard insert for things like mounted point motors. The one to avoid is the thinner stuff used for posters and for sale boards etc. Looked to be a useful freebie using up the recycled posters after the event had finished but I tried it and had several problems, adhesives not sticking to it was the most significant. (Corex IIRC)

Edited by john new