• Avonside (flat-sided tank) 0-4-0ST
    • Manning Wardle class H or P 0-4-0ST
    • Andrew Barclay 0-4-0F (Fireless)
    • None of the above
  2. 2. 4mm: I.C.

• Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0DM
    • Hunslet "Yardmaster" 4wDM
    • English Electric "Stephenson" 0-4-0DH
    • Hibberd 4wDM (Late model, e.g SC or LTC type)
    • None of the above
  3. 3. 7mm Steam

• Avonside (flat-sided tank) 0-4-0ST
    • Andrew Barclay 0-4-0F (Fireless)
    • Borrows 0-4-0WT
    • Hawthorn Leslie (or RSH) 0-4-0ST
    • None of the above
  4. 4. 7mm I.C.

• Hibberd 4wDM (late type e.g. SC or LTC)
    • Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0DM
    • Hunslet "Yardmaster" 4wDM
    • English Electric "Stephenson" 0-4-0DH
    • None of the above

Come to think of it, DJH do a Barclay 0-4-0ST kit.

Yes, they do but it's outdated, basic, has the motor in the cab (so no cab detail is possible), comes with bog standard non-Barclay pattern Romford wheels and at £165 is very expensive for what it is. I'd expect a RTR version coming in at under a hundred or a modern kit from someone sich as Judith Edge or High Level to have much better detail, your own choice of motor and gearing and still come in cheaper than that.

Personally I'd go for one of these;

attachicon.gifIMG_0464.JPG

Nasmyth Wilson 0-8-0T, Emanuel Clegg.

Quite happy to photoshop it heading the Pines Express over the SDJR and simmering at some GWR branch terminus.

It'd then sell in shed loads......

Well there's two votes including mine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Only 57 people out of an RMweb membership of thousands have voted in this poll. Perhaps industrial railways aren't very popular after all? Most of those Hornby Pecketts probably ended up trundling around any old layout, or are tucked up in their boxes by collectors, or those hoping the models will increase in value so they can sell them to collectors in the future. What a waste.

I suspect that's true Dave.

A lot will run on layouts but very few on industrial themed layouts, some on an industry cameo as part of a larger layout, most mixed in with whatever the owner fancies (not a criticism, just reality). Considering that industrial layouts particularly suit cramped sites it's perhaps surprising that they are not more popular with the space starved modeller.

On the positive side, so far, Hornby have done well with sales of their Sentinels and Pecketts and I believe may be looking at further industrial prototypes. Golden Valley's Janus has been pretty well received, a few quality control glitches aside, and it'll be interesting to see how far they go with that.

At least we may see half a dozen or so decent RTR industrials which is more than we might have expected a few years back and they make a change from the once ubiquitous Austerities and 'industrial' pugs.

Have to say, I am a little surprised. We've had a quite few RTR in the last few years. Sentinels, The Peckett a Janus all very widespread and long lived in many liveries, which I think is what the RTR guys are after. I love industrials, for the shear variety and the atmosphere. Conversely I can see why it's bit of a minefield - lots of variety even amongst the same class (same can be said for some main line classes), but the RTR guys are starting to take those on. I'd like to see some of the more numerous types - the Andrew Barclay 14" 0-4-0 the 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 Manning Wardles and Hudswell Clarke - they had long lives and variety of colors and liveries. I'm ok with 80% correct - that's were the small scale supplier or us as a collective steps in with chimneys and domes, new cabs etc. that's my opinion.

Only 57 people out of an RMweb membership of thousands have voted in this poll. Perhaps industrial railways aren't very popular after all? Most of those Hornby Pecketts probably ended up trundling around any old layout, or are tucked up in their boxes by collectors, or those hoping the models will increase in value so they can sell them to collectors in the future. What a waste.

There are so many areas on RMWebb that it is not easy to read them all. Some Industrial fans may not yet have seen the poll

I voted in the poll despite the fact that I am probably never going to buy an rtr loco. I do however have quite a few industrial locos in my collection, roughly 50/50 scratchbuilt/kits. There are a few more locos that I would like to model and if they become available as decent kits then I will buy one. If not I will hopefully scratcbuild. However many of the prototypes I like are very unlikely to appeal to the mass market!

Ian.

Perhaps the title of the thread is not enticing enough for industrial enthusiasts to bother looking at. As you say, RMWeb has thousands of members, there are also hundreds of threads but you can't read them all (there would be no modelling time if you did). A more specific thread title may attract more interest.

Edited for typo.

Edited by Poor Old Bruce

Perhaps it's because it's in the Industrial modelling section and therefore too specific for most people to browse this section.

It seems a decent return looking at other polls and the model of the year thing. Don't be too disheartened. Yes RMweb has a big membership but active members is probably only a couple of hundred.

A good example of this is the DJM yellow j94 which had large stocks sold off to a retailer. Or the Coventry event a few years ago which was very sparsely attended on the Saturday when I was there.

• RMweb Gold

My vote in 4mm went for the barcley 0-4-0t as these were a common loco. The RTR manufacturers want to maximise sales and liveries for any proposed Industrial loco and the large number of Barcleys would give them that. Picking a rare or unusual loco is really where the kit manufacturers fit in.

This is the loco I want!

attachicon.gifW 20A. AB 2246 of 1948 suplied new to Granville Collery Scrapped late 1967 early 1968. Kidderminster Museum..jpg

David

That's a nice 16" Barclay....

• RMweb Premium

I can't vote as there is a requirement to vote in all sections, and I'm not concerned with three of them as my vote would be erroneous.

That said, I'd only vote for BPC anyway... :D

post-6714-0-98509700-1501621448.jpg

Edited by Ian J.
  • Like 1

True, but I model in N, and neither is RTR in any scale....

Les

A prototypical model for either in N wouldn't be possible to my mind.

The Husky diesel would be absolutely tiny and wouldn't operate reliably over point work, or at least not reliably enough for a rtr manufacturer to tackle it. The Kitson long boiler design has the center and rear wheel set extremely close together - in N gauge the flanges would touch and the wheelbase would have to be stretched to accommodate this, 

An overall observation about us industrial modelers and some of the comments earlier in this thread: we don't make it easy for ourselves. Some extremely obscure prototypes have been proposed by a few posters, some of which I couldn't even see a kit manufacturer making a return on. All we can hope is that the next rtr industrial is something pretty and with wide appear. Something that offers enough return for the manufacturer to offer another industrial, followed by another etc. 

Paul A. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I don't think the thread is exposed to the right part of the forum.

I only stumbled on this thread by accident, and after a few weeks of it being listed, and I'm on the site nearly everyday.

Ps.. I voted immediately.

Edited by adb968008

The poll is of course flawed but when I posted it I thought of a few prototypes that I find interesting and that are also likely to have a possible widespread appeal, which is what is going to appeal to a manufacturer of kits or RTR. Yes, they are my choices but that's because I am the one starting the poll and I can't very well have a poll about what to put in the poll or we'd be here forever. Paul A also makes a good point about obscure choices.

The poll is already complicated and skewed by having two scales in which it forces people to vote in because of the way it was made to allow multiple choice (Andy's idea about multiple choice so don't blame me!). Adding N gauge would make it more complex and then it you're going to add N gauge you surely have to add every other standard gauge scale combination too...

The choices are all 0-4-0s because, as already stated, they are my choices but if some 0-6-0s were in do you remove some of the 0-4-0s in favour, or do you have an entirely different category to vote in for 0-6-0s? The more choices and categories the more diluted the results.

I suppose the poll could have been posted in a more popular section of the forum but despite what I said about the lack of votes, perhaps quality is preferable to quantity? By that I mean most of the people voting are looking in this section because they have an interest in industrial locos and railways, rather than seeing a poll in for example Modelling musings and miscellany, where people may vote just for the sake of voting, even if they're not really bothered about infuencing what may or may not be produced in terms of industrial kits or RTR.

I really don't think anything will come of the poll at all, so it's probably best not to take it too seriously; after all, you can't please all of the people all of the time...

• Like 1

Of course we have another RTR loco suitable for industrial use coming, Dapol are releasing a B4 0-4-0 T which whilst was primarily a Southern engine found its way into Industrial use, Bilston steelworks having some.

David

It is good that any industrial loco gets on this list and I would vote for all in the 4mm range. Not to create a froth wish list, but to consider the wide industrial applications, and I can understand that many other locos could be added to the list

4mm

Sentinel 0-6-0 – (I guess this may be in Hornby’s future)

https://bristolharbourrailway.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/sentinel-0-6-0-no-pba-39-and-pba-40-at-avonmouth-docks-14582.jpg

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0DM -  

http://train-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/16095.jpg   and

https://farm9.static.flickr.com/8059/8185131545_4d3e35cecd_b.jpg

Peckett 0-6-0ST

https://i1.wp.com/bristolharbourrailway.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/0-6-0st-no-s8-westbury-peckett-1877-of-1934-at-the-port-of-bristol-authority-avonmouth-21763.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop&ssl=1

Edit for spelling mistake

Regards

Edited by steaming_chris
  • Like 1