• Avonside (flat-sided tank) 0-4-0ST
    • Manning Wardle class H or P 0-4-0ST
    • Andrew Barclay 0-4-0F (Fireless)
    • None of the above
  2. 2. 4mm: I.C.

• Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0DM
    • Hunslet "Yardmaster" 4wDM
    • English Electric "Stephenson" 0-4-0DH
    • Hibberd 4wDM (Late model, e.g SC or LTC type)
    • None of the above
  3. 3. 7mm Steam

• Avonside (flat-sided tank) 0-4-0ST
    • Andrew Barclay 0-4-0F (Fireless)
    • Borrows 0-4-0WT
    • Hawthorn Leslie (or RSH) 0-4-0ST
    • None of the above
  4. 4. 7mm I.C.

• Hibberd 4wDM (late type e.g. SC or LTC)
    • Hudswell Clarke 0-4-0DM
    • Hunslet "Yardmaster" 4wDM
    • English Electric "Stephenson" 0-4-0DH
    • None of the above

It is good that any industrial loco gets on this list and I would vote for all in the 4mm range. Not to create a troth wish list, but to consider the wide industrial applications, and I can understand that many other locos could be added to the list

4mm

Sentinel 0-6-0 – (I guess this may be in Hornby’s future)

https://bristolharbourrailway.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/sentinel-0-6-0-no-pba-39-and-pba-40-at-avonmouth-docks-14582.jpg

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0DM -

http://train-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/16095.jpg and

https://farm9.static.flickr.com/8059/8185131545_4d3e35cecd_b.jpg

Peckett 0-6-0ST

https://i1.wp.com/bristolharbourrailway.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/0-6-0st-no-s8-westbury-peckett-1877-of-1934-at-the-port-of-bristol-authority-avonmouth-21763.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop&ssl=1

Regards

I note in the background of that last picture an 0-4-0st named Percy :D :senile:
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is good that any industrial loco gets on this list and I would vote for all in the 4mm range. Not to create a froth wish list, but to consider the wide industrial applications, and I can understand that many other locos could be added to the list

4mm

Sentinel 0-6-0 – (I guess this may be in Hornby’s future)

https://bristolharbourrailway.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/sentinel-0-6-0-no-pba-39-and-pba-40-at-avonmouth-docks-14582.jpg

Hudswell Clarke 0-6-0DM -  

http://train-photos.com.s3.amazonaws.com/16095.jpg   and

https://farm9.static.flickr.com/8059/8185131545_4d3e35cecd_b.jpg

Peckett 0-6-0ST

https://i1.wp.com/bristolharbourrailway.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/0-6-0st-no-s8-westbury-peckett-1877-of-1934-at-the-port-of-bristol-authority-avonmouth-21763.jpg?w=1000&h=&crop&ssl=1

Edit for spelling mistake

Regards

There is also the smaller inside cylinder Peckett 0-6-0ST as used by the Metropolitan Railway (101/102 IIRC)

• RMweb Premium

Seeing that Hornby did the Sentinel 0-4-0 and Golden Valley have done a Janus what is the next RTR version of a Judith Edge kit going to be??

Hunslet 16"???

Hunslet 67T?

At least building one means I can't moan about the lack of flywheels, poorly painted livery etc

Baz

• Like 1

Is It possible that there may be some reluctance to vote for any in a list comprising 0-4-0s because of a persisting perceived difficulty in being able to attain reliable running over pointwork even with live crossings ? Perhaps some words of reassurance on this matter might alter the response.

Is It possible that there may be some reluctance to vote for any in a list comprising 0-4-0s because of a persisting perceived difficulty in being able to attain reliable running over pointwork even with live crossings ? Perhaps some words of reassurance on this matter might alter the response.

I'm just wondering why you would think there is a such a percieved difficulty as it's not something that I would have ever thought about. I have never found any problem in both 4 and 7mm scale with 0-4-0s running over (live frog) pointwork. I would imagine they would have great difficulty crossing dead frogs but does anyone still use that sort of trackwork anyway?

It is interesting that the r-t-r 50 ton and 55 ton Hunslet 0-6-0 diesels being made for the N-Gauge Society are to have stay-alive built into their circuitry to try to overcome the problems of stalling on pointwork....

post-13358-0-96888500-1502454546_thumb.jpg

Les

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

The reflection was not intended to be any sort of criticism and I was careful to use the word 'perceived'. It's just that when it comes to current collection, it would seem to me that whatever steps are taken (eg, live crossings, fully compensated chassis) more wheels are likely to be more advantageous than fewer. As someone who is currently contemplating an industrial extension to the layout (4mm), it would be most useful to have an exhaustive list of the precautions that are needed to guarantee good performance over pointwork. I am building a Kerr Stuart 'Victory' for use on the extension but it has to be said that 0-4-0's to have a very strong attraction if for no other reason ( and there are,of course, many others) that, as I think Bob Essery once pointed out, smaller vehicles and locos help to create the visual illusion that the layout is more spacious that it actually is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hmmm... I'm not so keen now.

post-1-0-66249500-1504695317.jpg

If that's how the finished article will be, with that big box under the boiler then I think I'll mark that "Must try harder" It will be a great shame because this RTR model effectively puts the kybosh on a modern and accurate kit ever becoming available.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hmmm... I'm not so keen now.

If that's how the finished article will be, with that big box under the boiler then I think I'll mark that "Must try harder" It will be a great shame because this RTR model effectively puts the kybosh on a modern and accurate kit ever becoming available.

And how pray tell do you suggest Hattons (i) fit in the gear train + motor and (ii) Get enough weight in it to make it actually pull anything and still retail it for a reasonable price?

From what i can tell, most kits tend to be made of metal which the builder solders together and not injection moulded plastic, and while this may be benifical from a weight point of view it is not how RTR manufactures build their products. Equally most kit builders will struggle to hide the gear train and motor on something this small - witness how many models are spoiled by having them poking into the cab on older kits.

So while yes the lack of daylight is perhaps a little disappointing visually its hard to see what else Hattons could have done in the circumstances and as such all comments like "must try harder" do tend to show a lack of appreciation as to the nature of RTR mass produced models.

And how pray tell do you suggest Hattons (i) fit in the gear train + motor and (ii) Get enough weight in it to make it actually pull anything and still retail it for a reasonable price?

From what i can tell, most kits tend to be made of metal which the builder solders together and not injection moulded plastic, and while this may be benifical from a weight point of view it is not how RTR manufactures build their products. Equally most kit builders will struggle to hide the gear train and motor on something this small - witness how many models are spoiled by having them poking into the cab on older kits.

So while yes the lack of daylight is perhaps a little disappointing visually its hard to see what else Hattons could have done in the circumstances and as such all comments like "must try harder" do tend to show a lack of appreciation as to the nature of RTR mass produced models.

Hornby have done a better job with the lower boiler area. I agree the lower boiler area could be better, without too much loss of weight.

Gordon A

Your comments show a lack of appreciation as to the nature of kits. Most kits are made of thin brass sheet and there is very little weight in a kit the size of a 14" Barclay when asembled. Traction relies on the builder putting extra weight into it, so the weight difference in brass etches and injection-moulded plastic is largely irrelevant.

This isn't the 1980s and Most kit builders don't have any problem hiding the motor and gear train on something this small these days, thanks to High Level gearboxes. I have recently built an old Mercian kit of a 16" Barclay and the motor is housed completely in the boiler (which does not have a great box underneath) and the drivetrain is in the firebox. There are kits much smaller than the Barclay that are also designed to be like this.

The chassis on a brass kit is hollow whereas RTR models tend to use a solid and therefore reasonably heavy diecast chassis, which is where the weight is. Not only that but Hornby used a diecast tank on their Peckett, which adds a lot of weight, so there's really no reason why Hattons can't do the same. These Barclays are larger than the W4 Pecketts so they have more space to play with, which should make it easier to design it so the lower half of the boiler is a more realistic representation than is shown in the photo.

Having said that I guess we will have to wait and see what the finished and painted models are like. With some judicious weathering and with finished liveries, the eye may be drawn away from the box beneath the boiler, so whilst I said I wasn't so keen it doesn't mean I'm condemning the model at all.

Edited by Ruston

This could be improved by the manufacturers making the front axle so that it can rock + / - 0.5mm.

Gordon A

As most of us are, I suppose, in the business of creating illusions of some kind or another in railway modelling (not enough space, no realistic exhaust steam emanating from chimneys, lack of automatic three-link coupling etc) , perhaps the provision of some of the clutter that was not infrequently seen on the running boards of industrials (such as cans of steam oil, or even extra coal) might help to disguise any lack of daylight under the boiler of the final version.

Edited by Holmside
  • Like 1

Your comments show a lack of appreciation as to the nature of kits. Most kits are made of thin brass sheet and there is very little weight in a kit the size of a 14" Barclay when asembled. Traction relies on the builder putting extra weight into it, so the weight difference in brass etches and injection-moulded plastic is largely irrelevant.

This isn't the 1980s and Most kit builders don't have any problem hiding the motor and gear train on something this small these days, thanks to High Level gearboxes. I have recently built an old Mercian kit of a 16" Barclay and the motor is housed completely in the boiler (which does not have a great box underneath) and the drivetrain is in the firebox. There are kits much smaller than the Barclay that are also designed to be like this.

The chassis on a brass kit is hollow whereas RTR models tend to use a solid and therefore reasonably heavy diecast chassis, which is where the weight is. Not only that but Hornby used a diecast tank on their Peckett, which adds a lot of weight, so there's really no reason why Hattons can't do the same. These Barclays are larger than the W4 Pecketts so they have more space to play with, which should make it easier to design it so the lower half of the boiler is a more realistic representation than is shown in the photo.

Having said that I guess we will have to wait and see what the finished and painted models are like. With some judicious weathering and with finished liveries, the eye may be drawn away from the box beneath the boiler, so whilst I said I wasn't so keen it doesn't mean I'm condemning the model at all.

Agreed it's possible to hide the motor/gearbox in practically anything these days. But maybe it's a good thing if it has this fault. It shows that it's still worth making stuff yourself!

• Like 1

When I scratch built my Andrew Barclay in 7mm scale, try as I might, I could not hide the motor, the rear axle is in an awkward place for motor and gear fitting, fortunately by fitting 4 sand boxes and pipe work etc, I was able to draw the eye away. Despite being 7mm, there isn't as much space as you would think, so 4mm must be a proper squeeze.

post-23125-0-14690200-1505991484.jpg

post-23125-0-82557800-1505991577_thumb.jpg

Cheer's, Pete.

• Like 1