I have always wanted to model a real location and always had a interest in the Blaenau Ffestiniog branch due to my mother and her side of the family coming from there. I used to go to Blaenau frequently in the 70's visiting by car or when I was old enough by train. I still go several times a week and to Trawsfynydd now with work. I intend to model Maentwrog Road with its siding for the explosives traffic from Cookes Penrhyndeudraeth. in 1986- 87. I am indebted to Merfyn Jones for all his help with photos and information to help my research.

A few views of the site to be modelled taken by me in July 2017, the old GWR goods shed still stands. The Blaenau Ffestiniog & Trawsfynydd Railway Society have plans to reopen the line and have been clearing the site, hence the container placed on the siding.

post-7968-0-97948300-1500142065_thumb.jpg

post-7968-0-28266100-1500142092_thumb.jpg

post-7968-0-61130600-1500142242_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nick G
  • Like 17
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

It's been a while since I have modified any wagons as my usual layouts are depots/stabling points. 

Although the siding only handles vans of the VAA, VBA and VDA several different liveried CAR brake vans were used and different barrier wagons due to explosives being carried.

The usual 2 barrier wagons were used from the list below:

400173 a steel bolster wagon un-modified

460001 a container flat un-modified
511002 a low floor container flat
786883 a ferry van with body removed
787270 a ferry van un-modified.

I made a start making a representation of 400173 using the Hornby SAA steel carrier.

Thanks again to Merfyn for the barrier wagon information, hopefully he will be along to post a photo of the prototype 400173.

post-7968-0-11533300-1500145212_thumb.jpg

post-7968-0-87234600-1500145221_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

It's been a while since I have modified any wagons as my usual layouts are depots/stabling points. 

Although the siding only handles vans of the VAA, VBA and VDA several different liveried CAR brake vans were used and different barrier wagons due to explosives being carried.

The usual 2 barrier wagons were used from the list below:

400173 a steel bolster wagon un-modified

460001 a container flat un-modified
511002 a low floor container flat
786883 a ferry van with body removed
787270 a ferry van un-modified.

I made a start making a representation of 400173 using the Hornby SAA steel carrier.

Thanks again to Merfyn for the barrier wagon information, hopefully he will be along to post a photo of the prototype 400173.

Here it is outside our office at the Junction.

post-1625-0-94034300-1500145975_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

A couple of the vans used on the traffic outside the office.

Is it the light reflecting or has that VDA got a white roof? I know some vans on the cadbury's traffic in the North East had a white roof.

You can also use the underframe from the Bachmann VAA to do a SAA, main thing is adding a new planked deck. I've done a RRA this way.

Thanks Si, probably a better option than using the Hornby SAA steel carrier as it sits very high.

It has been recorded that on a couple of occasions a OBA 31 tonne open wagon was used as a barrier wagon but I have never seen a photo. If anyone has a photo or can point me in the direction of a photo I would be most grateful.

It has been recorded that on a couple of occasions a OBA 31 tonne open wagon was used as a barrier wagon but I have never seen a photo. If anyone has a photo or can point me in the direction of a photo I would be most grateful.

No luck so far.

No luck so far.

I am sure a photo will turn up eventually I have enough to be getting on with in the meantime.

Also looking for photos of the flask trains that passed through Maentwrog Road on the way to/from Trawsfynydd around 1986/7.

I am sure a photo will turn up eventually I have enough to be getting on with in the meantime.

Also looking for photos of the flask trains that passed through Maentwrog Road on the way to/from Trawsfynydd around 1986/7.

Should manage a few !

Should manage a few !

Thanks, I intend to have a fiddle yard each end of the Maentwrog Road scenic section so flak trains can pass through. Flask trains aswell as engineers/ballast trains will add some operational interest. 

Interesting little layout, the only information I can add for now is the barrier wagons were in pool 6303 NBM (coal) Trawsfynydd Branch barriers , this is from approx 1989 wagons were

460001 prototype SPA http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/h38fd8fff

B 786883 RRX

Also the flask traffic occasionally used BDA bogie steel wagons

http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk/alanhaywardpage10.html

Edited by bazjones1711

Interesting little layout, the only information I can add for now is the barrier wagons were in pool 6303 NBM (coal) Trawsfynydd Branch barriers , this is from approx 1989 wagons were

460001 prototype SPA http://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/brspa/h38fd8fff

B 786883 RRX

Also the flask traffic occasionally used BDA bogie steel wagons

http://www.6g.nwrail.org.uk/alanhaywardpage10.html

Thanks Baz, few photos on that link I haven't seen before. The prototype SPA had the body removed when it was used as a barrier wagon.

• Like 1

Been working on a typical formation that ran to Maentwrog Road for the explosives traffic. VAA van sandwiched between two barrier wagons and a brake van. Very much work in progress with more detailing and weathering to do.

post-7968-0-43090900-1500749970_thumb.jpg

post-7968-0-06231800-1500749981_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Does anyone know the rules on propelling brake van first? What lamp if any would be on the brake van?

Don't think a lamp was used on the train to Traws. Guard probably kept a look out for sheep with his Bardic if dark. Probably had the tail lamp on ready for the return ?

• 2 weeks later...

A bit more work on some of the wagons to be used on Maentwrog Road, they are work in progress.

Coupled to the VAA van is barrier wagon 460001 a chassis from a SPA wagon and in the foreground barrier wagon 786883 a continental ferry van with body removed.

I need to model 400173 next, a steel bolster wagon also used as a barrier then a start on the brake vans.

post-7968-0-34198500-1502036134_thumb.jpg

post-7968-0-69865300-1502036168_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Guest Digital

Nice work Nick.

Looks like another excellent layout following in the footsteps of the iconic "Dyserth Road".

Will be very interesting watching progress.

Regards

John