Missed this thread up till now sorry Nick, looks like you are making good progress with the freight stock.

Just another idea, for traffic variety, could be the Chester Breakdown train which came out to minor derailments (at Traws possibly??) - 2 converted pre-nationalisation coaches in Departmental red livery. I have a couple of 80's photos passing Prestatyn but not my copyright sadly, 1 with a 25 and the other a 40 on. Happy to show you them though if they are of interest.

Martyn.

Just another idea, for traffic variety, could be the Chester Breakdown train which came out to minor derailments (at Traws possibly??) - 2 converted pre-nationalisation coaches in Departmental red livery. I have a couple of 80's photos passing Prestatyn but not my copyright sadly, 1 with a 25 and the other a 40 on. Happy to show you them though if they are of interest.

Thanks Martyn, would love to see them. I have seen a picture of the crane replacing a bridge between Blaenau and trawsfynydd somewhere.

A couple of pictures showing Maentwrog Road in 1986 courtesy of Merfyn Jones and used with permission.

This is the scene I hope to achieve including a backscene printed from a panoramic photo from the real location. The old GWR goods shed will be scratch built.

post-7968-0-89812000-1502821078_thumb.jpg

post-7968-0-13275600-1502821097_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

You can also use the underframe from the Bachmann VAA to do a SAA, main thing is adding a new planked deck. I've done a RRA this way.

Hi Simon,

Any pics of your model would be great I need to do one myself.

Thanks Peter.

Hi Nick,

Nice little project this, Will be following with interest. Your work on and info on the barrier wagons is interesting too as I need to do a few myself. I did a few years ago using the Hornby chassis but I have a Bachmann VAA chassis in bits at the moment so any pics or your conversion will be very helpful. 

I notice also that you are going to cut the vent off your VAA and I was going to do the same but I am sure I saw a pic somewhere of a vented one on the North Wales Coast. I did a conversion of a Hornby VDA to VAA years ago and did it without the vent so I have a least one that is correct. There does seem to be a nice variety of Brake vans used on the trains down the branch. I have used the Bachmann model and replaced the axle boxes with roller bearings. 

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-66790900-1502961748_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Hi Peter,

I have sent you pictures of the barrier wagons used via a private message.

I have no doubt a vented VAA worked at some point but as yet I have seen no photographic evidence. Plenty of VAA's (non vented) and a few VDA's I have recorded. The brake vans used on this traffic for the period I am modelling were CAR air piped vans in rail freight Grey/Red livery or Bauxite/Yellow.

Hi Nick,

Nice little project this, Will be following with interest. Your work on and info on the barrier wagons is interesting too as I need to do a few myself. I did a few years ago using the Hornby chassis but I have a Bachmann VAA chassis in bits at the moment so any pics or your conversion will be very helpful. 

I notice also that you are going to cut the vent off your VAA and I was going to do the same but I am sure I saw a pic somewhere of a vented one on the North Wales Coast. I did a conversion of a Hornby VDA to VAA years ago and did it without the vent so I have a least one that is correct. There does seem to be a nice variety of Brake vans used on the trains down the branch. I have used the Bachmann model and replaced the axle boxes with roller bearings. 

Cheers Peter.

Hi Peter

I found out only recently that the Hornby CAR has roller bearings and the pipes from the air valve. Very nice model.

• RMweb Gold

Take a nice flat bottomed  peco point and saw it in half ? or perhaps out with a point kit and the soldering iron.

I recall some of the Cooke`s road vehicles in tight convoy heading up the valley to unload and the police finding out and a few words had about spacing out the vehicles. 

I like the idea of the layout and look forward to seeing 25s and 31s punting trucks ! 

At Bl ffestiniog I recall the sound of crashing buffers and being out early to watch next time - I lived at the Glanypwll depot house at he time. The train hauled from the junction shunted the FBV on the rear round to the front to be the propelling vehicle. It  seemed a relaxed move to pull van off and then punt it past on to the blocks at the town end of the yard while guard changed the point and it rolled back on to the barrier flat, mean while the engine and shunter/ secondman was bringing loco on the other end of the train.

A nice neat shunt - guess it was not in any text book but it did it quckly and allowed more "tea" time.  

The propelling move was not a pedestrian affair once clear of Manod.  

As nothing much went wrong the loaded return workings must have been a bit of a down hill stroll but engine and train brake force of just a few waggons fine for the job.

Look forward to seeing the real location up and running again

Robert  

• Like 4

Hi Peter,

I have sent you pictures of the barrier wagons used via a private message.

I have no doubt a vented VAA worked at some point but as yet I have seen no photographic evidence. Plenty of VAA's (non vented) and a few VDA's I have recorded. The brake vans used on this traffic for the period I am modelling were CAR air piped vans in rail freight Grey/Red livery or Bauxite/Yellow.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the PM very helpful. I have seen pics of a barrier which looks like an SAA but has some upright panels on the wagon floor wouldn't mind doing that one if I can get a decent pic. will keep a look out for a vented VAA but haven't seen one yet. 

I have several vans in those liveries and an olive green one with yellow ends which I have seen some pics of.

Cheers Peter.

post-7022-0-99541800-1503052451_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Hi Peter

I found out only recently that the Hornby CAR has roller bearings and the pipes from the air valve. Very nice model.

Thanks  Merf,

I did too. I picked up a Hornby CAR but in a livery thats a bit late for Llanbourne it is a very nice model though. If  Hornby had released their new brake van earlier I would have bought a few but I had done most of my Bachmann ones by then though adding pipes and roller bearings isn't too hard to do they are still a nice little model.

Cheers Peter,

25058 (which did work this train) has uncoupled from barrier 786883 a ferry van with body removed and has shunted the VAA van into the siding separated by barrier 460001 a prototype OCA wagon with body removed. 

post-7968-0-88191000-1503077634_thumb.jpg

• Like 4