Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
* * - - - 2 votes

MRJ 256

• Please log in to reply
177 replies to this topic

#176 MickRalph

MickRalph

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationHenfield, Sussex and the Correze, France

Posted 12 August 2017 - 22:44

This issue arrived while I was in France, but tonight I have taken the opportunity of an evening shift in Kingscote signal box on the Bluebell Railway to read just over half of it.  I found much of interest in every article, and glancing through the rest, it looks as if that will continue to be the case.  An excellent issue.

Mick

• Like x 1

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#177 JohnBS

JohnBS

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 14 August 2017 - 13:40

Jerry,
Though I say it myself, congratulations on an exceptional edition (maybe I would say that!)
The front cover photo was superb (Gordon Gravett? - if so, give me more).
The Nettlebridge Valley layout is a delightful and a very convincing piece of modelling. The prototype is very familiar - just down the road from Frome, though not quite in the current era!
Giles Favell's radio-controlled mobile crane is most impressive, albeit on a model engineering scale - it reminds me somewhat of trying to get Lego Technic models to work - often an exercise of getting a quart into a pint pot. My version of the Lego crane has six motors and IR controllers, two battery boxes and whole loads of gear trains.
Getting down to a more familiar scale, Tim's article on workshop techniques is invaluable - the voice of the master. More please.
The finish of Chris Klein's "Victoria" is superb, thanks in part due to the use of T-Cut, and Graham Tierney's Taff Vale Railmotor is lovely. John Aldrick's 2mm coach article, particularly the bit on corridor connections, and your article with tips again on using T-Cut were very useful - I look forward to trying them out.
Finally, back to the larger scales, I very much liked the scratch built Highland vans.
Interested to read the rules of the Cameo Competition - I guess that Ashburton may just about comply with the criteria, perhaps with the exception of the lighting. We shall see.
I was delighted to see the positive comments on my buildings article.
All in all, a brilliant edition and I look forward to your next editorial foray.
Kind regards,
John
  • Like x 5

#178 dajt

dajt

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationRegional NSW

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:50

The issue finally made it down under. S scale and scratchbuilding got me to buy it for the first time in a while.

Those HR brakevans are very nice. Great inventiveness on the crane too, that was cool. The article at the back with the big tender mounted motor looks good as well, but I haven't read it properly yet. I like a bit of railway modelling history.

Good issue, thanks editor and contributors! :) 

• Friendly/Supportive x 1