Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo
- - - - -

What has happened to Feature Layout Trackplans?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#26 chris p bacon

chris p bacon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,564 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire

Posted 10 December 2017 - 09:21

For the flip side to the pro's,  I rarely look at the plan unless it is a complicated track layout, the small/micro's convey what you need in the pics.

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#27 Pteremy

Pteremy

Registered Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 10 December 2017 - 11:21

I tend to agree (that the photos usually do the job).

If however the magazine ever becomes a fully fledged online product, rather than a reproduction of a physical magazine then other possibilities will arise. For example, a track plan could be accessed through a icon and open in a separate window, which can then be referred to whilst reading the article. And maybe the track plans could be accessed in a separate library, as an additional benefit of subscription.

• Like x 2

#28 JDW

JDW

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 843 posts
  • LocationAberdeen / Sheffield

Posted 10 December 2017 - 16:29

I have to say, I do like a track plan in general, however I think that I agree with Andy Y that if it is a small layout then an overall aerial view is almost as good.  Generally I like to be able to follow what goes where and work out how the pictures fit in to everything else.  A few times I've looked at pictures and wondered "how does that fit in with/link to this?" and a track plan helps.  It also gives a good impression of the overall layout which sometimes you don't get of it is a big layout and a limited number of images.  I think though that what it really comes down to is that I want context, whether that is a drawn plan or a photo which shows enough to do the same job.  Obviously, one looking down the length of a 25 foot long layout with depot, sidings, etc would be useless, but a shot from above of a 5 foot long shunting plank would usually give the same effect as a plan.

• Agree x 4