Fundraising limited edition 4575 Praire No. '5541' by Derails

Derails Models

• RMweb Gold

Good Morning everyone,

The Dean Forest Railway's 4575 Praire no. 5541 will turn 90 in 2018, and to celebrate, we've decided to produce just 75 OO gauge fundraising models of the loco in its current condition - this is being acheived by professionally renumbering the loco's (including etched numberplates).

The models are price at £109.95 plus £3.95 P&P, and from each sale £5 will go to the Dean Forest Locomotive Group who own and maintain 5541 and the 8750 Pannier Tank 9681 which is currently undergoing overhaul. 

Currently due December/January, to pre-order the model (you can either pay fully now or just a £20 deposit), visit www.derails.co.uk/5541.

Edited by Andy Y
Image removed as it's not the actual product.
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

Very nice way to celebrate. Surely 90 would be a more appropriate number to celebrate 90th birthday though?

Agreed! Indeed that was the original plan, and we may still be able to up the amount produced, however at the moment upping the run to 90 would make production more difficult and possibly drive the price per model higher. It's a shame as that's what we wanted to do, and if we can do it without raising the price then we will, so watch this space! :)

• 5 months later...

Hello there, I was just wondering if there is any news on this model? The derails website still says due December 2017 and since the main Bachmann catalogue item, loco no 5532 appears to be available in shops now hoping this edition may be nearly ready?

• RMweb Premium

I’m confused. I’ve just bought a Bachmann limited edition 5541, as shown in the Derails image in post #1, from Kernow MRC. Product code 32-135X. It comes with a leaflet about the loco but no numbered certificate. That would explain why Bachmann used an image numbered 5541.

• RMweb Gold

Good evening,

To answer the first question, the first models are now just starting to roll out of the workshop. The first despatches should be made early this week. Thanks for your patience and apologies for the slight delay.

To answer the second question, we were not aware of this KMRC limited edition until today, and it is a totally different model to ours. As brushman says this explains the Bachmann stock image of 5541. Thanks for making us aware of that, by the way. ☺

Our models feature etched plates, include a £5 donation to the owners of the locomotive and are only £109.95 to start with, and as said, the first despatches will be made this week. Our models are also not weathered - we keep the loco as clean as possible at the DFR and it wouldn't be 'as preserved' any other way!

Thanks for those who have supported us and the locomotive so far!

Edited by Derails Models

Good evening.

I still share brushman’s confusion. The Derails’ version has etched plates, is cheaper and the Kernow version is dirty. Nevertheless, whilst both retailers rather strain credulity in claiming that the two models of 5541 are “exclusive”, to claim that one is totally different from the other threatens me with mental breakdown.

I note that having two exclusive models of 5541 manufactured by Bachmann and sold by two different retailers is hardly the fault of those retailers. Should someone at Bachmann not been aware of this and advised the retailers accordingly? I note also that Derails is most commendably donating a fiver a loco to 4' 8½" versions.

Edited for spelling mistake. Has my breakdown happened?

Edited by No Decorum

• RMweb Gold

Good evening.

I still share brushman’s confusion. The Derails’ version has etched plates, is cheaper and the Kernow version is dirty. Nevertheless, whilst both retailers rather strain credulity in claiming that the two models of 5541 are “exclusive”, to claim that one is totally different from the other threatens me with mental breakdown.

I note that having two exclusive models of 5541 manufactured by Bachmann and sold by two different retailers is hardly the fault of those retailers. Should someone at Bachmann not been aware of this and advised the retailers accordingly? I note also that Derails is most commendably donating a fiver a loco to 4' 8½" versions.

Edited for spelling mistake. Has my breakdown happened?

Good Morning,

I totally understand the confusion here, we are in the dark as much as you are. 

To explain, our models are renumbered (not by Bachmann), pristine versions of the catalogue item 32-135B. This was all pre-arranged through Bachmann, and for this reason I too was surprised when KMRC released theirs. The main idea for our project was to raise a little extra cash for the loco owners, it's a loco I work on and with almost every week in my second role at the DFR and I know she's due for some mid-ticket maintenance this spring - every little helps!

To try and alleviate things a little I have removed the 'exclusive' branding from the post above and from our item listing, but our models do not come from the same limited edition run that Kernow have had produced specially for them.

Many thanks again for your support.

Little Dan

Edited by Derails Models