Blog- Stock for Brent 1947 GWR - Wills Saint pt2

Every so often I get inspired after reading about somone else finishing a white metal kit to dig out this project, and have another look.

The build has now got to the stage of applying filler (lots of it) to rectify the deficiencies of the original castings. As a result this evening I have taken it outside for a coat of primer to show up what remains to be done. Given it will be sprayed black (and that Halfords Satin Black is one of the worst paints I've used for showing up blemishes on the underlying model), I think there are likely to be a fair few coats of primer here!

as can be seen the top of the firebox, and a crack in the boiler top are the priority, along with a little more work on the footplate.

Once I am happy with the finish on the boiler top / footplate I will replace the chimney / bonnet cover and add the remaining details before giving it a final coat of primer.

I am having some issues with clearances between the footplate/splashers and the chassis. I think it is as a result of a poor fit of the cast metal lump, as I have a spare Perseverence chassis for a Hall I am tempted to modify this to fit and go for an etched option....

Attached thumbnail(s)
  • blogentry-54-0-20772300-1500416238_thumb

View the full article