A GW Autocoach

Ian Hargrave

• RMweb Gold

Jason.....if you look on the Hattons thread,I've made the impertinent ( ? ) suggestion that you might consider getting off your trolley :jester: and turning your talents to one of these.A decent job is sorely needed..notwithstanding Bachmann's excellent Hawksworth job (which was a later one in any case) We know you can do it..witness your brilliant project for Rails. If we can only find a retailer to commission one...... :scratchhead:

Edited by Ian Hargrave
  • Like 2

I've made the impertinent ( ? ) suggestion that you might consider getting off your trolley :jester: and turning your talents to one of these.

Careful what you ask for now.

No complaints from anyone when it comes equipped with an animated driver figure, DCC, lights, and sound for the gong, along with a mechanism to materialize a lighted red lamp when the locomotive is leading the train.

The problem however Ian, is that you are asking the wrong person. This is clearly a job for Bill! After all those Rapido models suitable for the Kingston Subdivision, it's time for the GWR to have a turn.

The challenge Bill has is to convince Jason to build something that's neither in an omnibus museum nor ran on Canadian metals. Personally I think that a 'working' GWR slip coach would be exactly the right kind of challenge that Bill might be able to use to appeal to Jason's sense of eclecticism.

Something like GWR Churchward Slip Coaches (Diag.F16 of 1909) that would go with toplights might be nice.  Many fun technical challenges solving the decoupling (while being compatible with the dreaded tension-lock) and controlling the stop at the platform are part of the game.

Now if we can get BBC Wales to write a script where the new Ms (Dr.) Who materializes the TARDIS on the GWR around 1930 we might be able to encourage Jason - even if we end up with 00 Cybermen at the controls of the slip or auto-trailer. (Actually "Missy's" outfit would not be so obvious as to require licensing.) After the BR cheese sandwich, a pasty in there somewhere feels necessary too.

I'm ready to make my deposit.

Edited by Ozexpatriate
  • Like 1

No complaints from anyone when it comes equipped with an animated driver figure, DCC, lights, and sound for the gong, along with a mechanism to materialize a lighted red lamp when the locomotive is leading the train.

Well, a little bit of good news perhaps.  At some point in the last month someone asked about figures in their North American stuff and the response was negative.  So that rules out the cost of an animated driver figure.

The problem however Ian, is that you are asking the wrong person. This is clearly a job for Bill! After all those Rapido models suitable for the Kingston Subdivision, it's time for the GWR to have a turn.

Not just Bill.  Per the latest newsletter you can now try and also influence Gareth about British models.

And while it may not be an Autocoach Rapido fans may like one of the comments Gareth makes in the latest UK newsletter (vol. 12).

• Like 2

I wonder why Bachmann went for the Hawksworth when there is/was surely a larger potential market for an older diagram?

I'm not convinced. Had Bachmann gone for an A28 or A30, it's £60 price would have had to compete with the venerable but still reasonable Airfix A30, at c £28.

I also think Bachmann wanted to do a modern one to accompany its 64xx, having been a bit stung but the general criticism (at the time) that it was 'not doing coaches to match its loco offerings'.

I wonder why Bachmann went for the Hawksworth when there is/was surely a larger potential market for an older diagram?

I'm not convinced. Had Bachmann gone for an A28 or A30, it's £60 price would have had to compete with the venerable but still reasonable Airfix A30, at c £28.

I also think Bachmann wanted to do a modern one to accompany its 64xx, having been a bit stung but the general criticism (at the time) that it was 'not doing coaches to match its loco offerings'.

Hawksworth designs also polled well, appealing in particular to people who model the BR(Western). This was reflected in Hornby's choice to do their very nice Hawksworth coaches ahead of the Collett coaches. This is an area where I think the polling data was relatively ahead of demand, and reflected a desire for something that hadn't been done before, rather than a replacement product that would actually sell rather better.