Parkside PS24 GWR Goods Wagon, Dia V33

brossard

I have the subject kit to build for a friend of mine.  It comes as 9' WB and unfitted.  I'd like to know if I can credibly convert the kit to vacuum brake and what Dia. that would be.  Dia V23 looks similar but is 10' WB.  I have the various fittings from Slaters.

There are some useful articles in MRJs 37, 40, 43, 45, 103 and 200.  I haven't seen any mention of Dia V33 anywhere.

BTW I was stunned to discover a site that actually contains useful information:  http://www.greatwestern.org.uk/wagon_draw.htm

John

Edited by brossard

• RMweb Premium

I've just done this as well. The bodies on the 9ft vans are subtly different to the 10 foot (the side panels are not split evenly either side of the upright strapping) so you end up with something a little different.

I had to guess the tare tho.

I've started construction of the now V21 van and here's where I got:

35210116034_4b32468730_z.jpgP1010001 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36008114506_3085e9e1b6_z.jpgP1010002 by John Kendall, on Flickr

I spent a fair bit of time scratching my head because the distance from U/F CL and vac cylinder piston rod should be 10mm and the cross brace got in the way.

I found a very good picture of  a V21 in Paul B's collection and the answer seems to be that the cylinder was mounted low so that it could be below the brace.  This is how I've done it.

The picture raises a new question and that is about wheels.  The kit comes with spoked wheels but the V21 pictured has 3 hole disc which seem to be common on fitted stock.  I can rob some of these from another project but can someone clarify whether disc wheels were universal on fitted vehicles?

John

• Like 2

...but can someone clarify whether disc wheels were universal on fitted vehicles?

It would be a mistake to correlate wheel style with vacuum brake fitting.

Solid wheels didn't make a significant appearance until after 1930, so it is likely all the V21s when they first appeared had spoked wheels. Spoked wheels seem to be the norm for Minks up to the mid-1930s.

Vehicles being shopped later in their life could appear with either type of wheel.

Thanks Miss P.  So, a V21 in BR service in 1962 could have either? (Assuming that is, that the van was in service).   The pictures I have found are of the van in Departmental use with disc wheels.

John

As I said, doubtful that all that many were left.  I have read that 9' WB wagons were being culled ferociously by the early 60s.  I did spend some time this PM browsing Paul's site, which is where I found the picture I mentioned.  Not a lot of info on the web as is usual.  The safest way to go is to fit disc wheels.

Perhaps someone with knowledge of the BR era can help.

John

Edited by brossard

So, at close of play, here's where I am:

36056216165_8fb884153e_z.jpgP1010002-001 by John Kendall, on Flickr

36056216455_3412e5aa17_z.jpgP1010001-001 by John Kendall, on Flickr

I added a vacuum pipe with clips.  Wheels were temporarily installed to get the brake positioning correct.  I broke a safety loop getting it off the sprue so used some brass strip instead.  There's a post to support the middle of one axle.

It all looks like the picture.  Ready for paint.

John

Edited by brossard
  • Like 4

• RMweb Gold

BR seems to have carried on using 8-spoke wheels under certain new-build fitted wagons into the 1950s, in particular Meat vans and Lowfits. 

The survival of a 9' wheelbase fitted Mink in revenue-earning traffic much beyond 1960 would be fairly improbable/rare IMHO, albeit more likely than an unfitted example. I'd expect there to be quite a few in departmental use, though.

John

• RMweb Premium

A couple of shots of mine including particularly crude compensation! I spend quite a lot of time thinning down the brake parts on Parkside wagons but I really ought to replace the brake lever guide and I still haven't got round to the tie bars and or couplings. 

I based it on the examples of V21s on Paul Bartlett's excellent site (mentioned above) although as others have suggested, I had no idea when it would have switched from regular service and I realise now I've probably based my number on the departmental ones. I had the kit spare though and fancied the variation.

post-7225-0-23211200-1500728278_thumb.jpg

post-7225-0-55391200-1500728357_thumb.jpg

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 5

Great pics Hal.  I should have thinned the brakes since the safety loops are a tight fit.  I sat up with a jolt yesterday as I realized that I had done the brakes wrong.  This has been corrected.  Underframes always seem to take the bulk of the effort with my kit builds.

I think I found the pictures that you refer to and they are very useful.

I see you have used disc wheels, something I was debating earlier.

The underframe is now black so I can build the body next.

I don't see couplings on your van???

John

A couple of shots of mine including particularly crude compensation! I spend quite a lot of time thinning down the brake parts on Parkside wagons but I really ought to replace the brake lever guide and I still haven't got round to the tie bars and or couplings. 

I based it on the examples of V21s on Paul Bartlett's excellent site (mentioned above) although as others have suggested, I had no idea when it would have switched from regular service and I realise now I've probably based my number on the departmental ones. I had the kit spare though and fancied the variation.

Unless I am missing something, 9'-0'' wheelbase wagons, even when vacuum-braked, did not qualify for XP marking.

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

• RMweb Premium

Unless I am missing something, 9'-0'' wheelbase wagons, even when vacuum-braked, did not qualify for XP marking.

Sorry,

John Isherwood.

Thanks, will have them back off. Sods law I had salvaged a last pair from a dried out sheet!

Good point about XP markings.  I'm guessing  9' WB vehicles weren't stable enough to do 60 mph +.

I did put tiebars on mine.   I used 1mm PB strip since I don't think plastic is up to the job.

I'm more or less decided to do disc wheels, at least there's photographic evidence for that.

John

• RMweb Premium

A couple of other variations even between the two examples on that site, one has different axle boxes and the other possibly has the vac pipes in the lower position (unless they've been removed). I did wonder if any V33s would have been retro fitted and suitable for mid/late 50s as well but perhaps they didn't bother with the 9 foot examples?

Anyway interested to see more progress pics of yours and it has prompted me to finish mine off!

A couple of other variations even between the two examples on that site, one has different axle boxes and the other possibly has the vac pipes in the lower position (unless they've been removed). I did wonder if any V33s would have been retro fitted and suitable for mid/late 50s as well but perhaps they didn't bother with the 9 foot examples?

Anyway interested to see more progress pics of yours and it has prompted me to finish mine off!

I don't think they'd have bothered retro-fitting any of these in the 1950s, as there were already a lot of wartime 10' wheelbase opens and vans to fit. There were some terminals where 9' wheelbase wagons were required, due to their still using wagon turntables, but these were few and far-between.

• 2 weeks later...

I've completed construction of the V21 van.

35468057013_385be3ae3c_z.jpgP1010001-001 by John Kendall, on Flickr

Couplings are Slaters instanter and vacuum pipe is also Slaters.

Tie bar is 1mm phosphor bronze strip.

My friend lent me a great big book on GWR wagons.  I found that van designs prior to about 1935 had spoked wheels (and there's a picture of a V21 with spoked wheels) and after that disc wheels appear to have been the norm.

35468056933_4a61b357e1_z.jpgP1010002-001 by John Kendall, on Flickr

I also added a lamp bracket, Slater's again since the kit doesn't have any.

John

• Like 6