Waddlemarsh. Somewhere south-west of London

Gwiwer

• RMweb Premium

Ladies and gents

From the builder of the late Penhayle Bay - Cornwall in Australia - comes a new layout to fit into the new much smaller home in London.  For some time my signature has suggested I am "Furtling in the Waddlemarsh" and now I shall be doing just that.  

The concept: a backwater SR route in outer SW London, electrified but with rather sparse traffic, passes beside a small freight transfer yard which handles a little cross-London traffic that Feltham can't cope with.  The time period: mid 1960s which allows a mix of green and some blue electric stock, green and blue diesels (plus some maroon WR types) and a few late SR steam survivors.  With cross-London traffic the diesel traction will be drawn from all regions and will sometimes include types more commonly associated with Scotland.  

The inspiration: drawn from somewhere between Morden milk depot, Waddon Marsh Halt and Tolworth coal yard.  

The state of play: All the rolling stock from the Penhayle Bay collection has safely arrived in London in good condition.  I shall need only a tiny fraction of that and have already acquired some ER and LMR locos of the required era.  Having an electric line also allows operation of the SR EMU types I collected in Australia but never had a real use for.  The two boards intended for the Beer & Branscombe project, which are fully track-laid and operable with pint motors fitted, will now form the basis of Waddlemarsh though with a little adaptation to the track plan.  It is intended that this shall be built as a portable layout able to be offered for exhibition.  It has however got to share a rather modest London bedroom with the rest of my life so shoe-horning it in is going to be the first big challenge.  I can't quite get the two boards end to end.  The home version will therefore be an L-shape which will use a new centre section between the existing boards while the exhibition version would have a different centre section to permit a straight run.  I don't want a show layout with the viewing side being an L-shape inside corner hence the potential for two versions.

A small sector plate yard will be constructed off-scene at one end; the other will be a terminal with a short concealed section to hide an EMU as though it were on a through line.

It might not have the charisma of a Cornish seaside but I have learned a few things from Penhayle Bay and hope to improve on the presentation with Waddlemarsh.

First steps will be slow as everything from our shipping container is squeezed into the new home but I hope to have some plans and a few "statement of intent" pictures up soon.  Watch this space.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Ladies and gents

From the builder of the late Penhayle Bay - Cornwall in Australia - comes a new layout to fit into the new much smaller home in London.  For some time my signature has suggested I am "Furtling in the Waddlemarsh" and now I shall be doing just that.  

The concept: a backwater SR route in outer SW London, electrified but with rather sparse traffic, passes beside a small freight transfer yard which handles a little cross-London traffic that Feltham can't cope with.  The time period: mid 1960s which allows a mix of green and some blue electric stock, green and blue diesels (plus some maroon WR types) and a few late SR steam survivors.  With cross-London traffic the diesel traction will be drawn from all regions and will sometimes include types more commonly associated with Scotland.  

The inspiration: drawn from somewhere between Morden milk depot, Waddon Marsh Halt and Tolworth coal yard.  

The state of play: All the rolling stock from the Penhayle Bay collection has safely arrived in London in good condition.  I shall need only a tiny fraction of that and have already acquired some ER and LMR locos of the required era.  Having an electric line also allows operation of the SR EMU types I collected in Australia but never had a real use for.  The two boards intended for the Beer & Branscombe project, which are fully track-laid and operable with pint motors fitted, will now form the basis of Waddlemarsh though with a little adaptation to the track plan.  It is intended that this shall be built as a portable layout able to be offered for exhibition.  It has however got to share a rather modest London bedroom with the rest of my life so shoe-horning it in is going to be the first big challenge.  I can't quite get the two boards end to end.  The home version will therefore be an L-shape which will use a new centre section between the existing boards while the exhibition version would have a different centre section to permit a straight run.  I don't want a show layout with the viewing side being an L-shape inside corner hence the potential for two versions.

A small sector plate yard will be constructed off-scene at one end; the other will be a terminal with a short concealed section to hide an EMU as though it were on a through line.

It might not have the charisma of a Cornish seaside but I have learned a few things from Penhayle Bay and hope to improve on the presentation with Waddlemarsh.

First steps will be slow as everything from our shipping container is squeezed into the new home but I hope to have some plans and a few "statement of intent" pictures up soon.  Watch this space.

Excellent news Rick. As the last to visit Penhayle Bay in reality, it it a great pleasure to be the first virtual visitor to Waddlemarsh. Following already!

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Excellent news Rick. As the last to visit Penhayle Bay in reality, it it a great pleasure to be the first virtual visitor to Waddlemarsh.

You nearly weren't!

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

No track plans just yet Andy but I hope to have something sketched out very soon.  What I end up with will of course be dictated by exactly how the boards fit the room.  Measuring up is one thing.  Persuading them to fit when clearances are down to a single millimetre is another.

• RMweb Premium

No track plans just yet Andy but I hope to have something sketched out very soon.  What I end up with will of course be dictated by exactly how the boards fit the room.  Measuring up is one thing.  Persuading them to fit when clearances are down to a single millimetre is another.

A large hammer usually does the trick.

• RMweb Premium

As the layout will be set in the 1960s perhaps I need a silver-pained tool shop somewhere in the scene under the name of "Maxwell's Hammer Emporium"

Music fans of a certain age might appreciate the humour. ;)

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

As the layout will be set in the 1960s perhaps I need a silver-pained tool shop somewhere in the scene under the name of "Maxwell's Hammer Emporium"

Does the music industry have the equivalent of rivet counters? That song dates from 1969 so not compatible with steam.

To reduce the size of the baseboard? Or to knock a hole through to the next door flat?

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Rose and Valerie certainly would.

• Like 1

Sorry I didn't reply to your Facebook message last night, Rick.

I also am looking forward to seeing more of Waddlemarsh as it develops. I'm glad you are able to start putting your considerable modelling talents to use again.

:)

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Is it finished yet, Rick? Come on, you've had a week already!

:jester:    :jester:

Not quite Jeff ;)

The room is more or less sorted out now, if not exactly tidy with everything in its intended place.  That does mean that I can now look around for some decent legs with which to support the boards.  My hope is that I can coach-bolt these to the corners allowing easy-enough removal if needs be.  The size and geography of the room is such that nothing which is not fairly flat or small can be got in or out; a baseboard with fixed legs would be captive but with removable ones it could be taken out if the project progresses to exhibition standards.

My rolling stock lives in plastic tubs.  These will be stacked two or three high according to size beneath the layout which must therefore stand at a suitable height.  It won't be unduly high by layout standards but neither will it be possible to use standard table legs.

• RMweb Gold

Not quite Jeff ;)

The room is more or less sorted out now, if not exactly tidy with everything in its intended place.  That does mean that I can now look around for some decent legs with which to support the boards.  My hope is that I can coach-bolt these to the corners allowing easy-enough removal if needs be.  The size and geography of the room is such that nothing which is not fairly flat or small can be got in or out; a baseboard with fixed legs would be captive but with removable ones it could be taken out if the project progresses to exhibition standards.

My rolling stock lives in plastic tubs.  These will be stacked two or three high according to size beneath the layout which must therefore stand at a suitable height.  It won't be unduly high by layout standards but neither will it be possible to use standard table legs.

Rick 

this is what I would suggest

post-8525-0-68021100-1293352313_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-55340700-1293352264_thumb.jpg
post-8525-0-26812100-1293352226_thumb.jpg
thelegs are made as pairs the two under the centre boards are held apart by the strip of ply screwed between them the centre board then sits on top the other two are then piggy backed with a single pair of legs each.
Don
  • Like 1

Hi Rick,

Finally caught up with the new plans.  Glad Maxwell's 'Silver' Hammer did not need to be used.

Look forward to seeing the progress with all that stock in tubs being utilised. Maybe not all at once.

Mark