• RMweb Gold

AFAIK no sleeping cars were ever allocated to the Southern Region, although the BY is very likely an SR one as modelled by Hornby.  It's presence may be explained by the need to provide heating for a guard riding in it; CCTs were not fitted with steam heating or through pipes for it and the BY has a stove in it.  If this is the case a LMS or LNER 6 wheeled BZ would have done just as well.

A Van C, perhaps  http://www.bluebell-railway.co.uk/bluebell/pics/404.html

I should have stated earlier that I model in N gauge.

• RMweb Gold

AFAIK no sleeping cars were ever allocated to the Southern Region, although the BY is very likely an SR one as modelled by Hornby.  It's presence may be explained by the need to provide heating for a guard riding in it; CCTs were not fitted with steam heating or through pipes for it and the BY has a stove in it.  If this is the case a LMS or LNER 6 wheeled BZ would have done just as well.

Not all SR BY vans had stoves. Those that did had orange panels painted on the guard's doors to identify them.

John

• RMweb Gold

Van C was the Southern Railway designation, BY that applied by BR, but it's the same thing.

John

Yes, I found these  

http://www.semgonline.com/vandw/4wpassbrakes.html

I will need to look at the practicalities of bashing something already available, or substitute for something reasonably plausible, like a STOVE R or some such ilk.

Thank you, most appreciably, for everyone's input. 

• RMweb Gold

There were some LNER-designed 'BY' brakes, sometimes referred to as 'Pigeon Vans'- Chivers Finelines do/did a nice kit. I wonder why the BY is stuck on the end like that; the guard would be in splendid isolation? I wonder if there was a shunting move where the train, or at least the car-carrying portion, was propelled for some distance?

At least he was warm.

• RMweb Gold

There were some LNER-designed 'BY' brakes, sometimes referred to as 'Pigeon Vans'- Chivers Finelines do/did a nice kit. I wonder why the BY is stuck on the end like that; the guard would be in splendid isolation? I wonder if there was a shunting move where the train, or at least the car-carrying portion, was propelled for some distance?

I can only respond from my youthful recollection - but there was a guard and guards van at the end of the passenger carrying portion of the car carrying train.  I know because bicycles and other extra luggage went in there (to be put on back on the car roof after arrival).  It was checked in and out by the guard.  The car carrying CCTs were always shunted on after we had boarded.  I don't think I remember a guards van at the back of that - but then I was young and didn't think about those things.

Edited by imt

• RMweb Gold

Not all SR BY vans had stoves. Those that did had orange panels painted on the guard's doors to identify them.

John

Although there is a picture of a stove fitted Van C steam-hauled on Shap they were supposed not to work off the Southern Region according to the carriage working books from the 1960s.

• RMweb Gold

Although there is a picture of a stove fitted Van C steam-hauled on Shap they were supposed not to work off the Southern Region according to the carriage working books from the 1960s.

The Southern Region imposed that rule on quite a lot of their stuff largely to avoid not having it around when they needed to use it but, having seen a photo of one of their 25t goods brakes about as far to the north end of Scotland as its possible to get with dry feet, it wasn't always obeyed.   

It managed to prevent the Class 33s from being "borrowed" for a good few years IIRC. :jester:

John

• RMweb Gold

The Southern Region imposed that rule on quite a lot of their stuff largely to avoid not having it around when they needed to use it but, having seen a photo of one of their 25t goods brakes about as far to the north end of Scotland as its possible to get with dry feet, it wasn't always obeyed.   

It managed to prevent the Class 33s from being "borrowed" for a good few years IIRC. :jester:

John

:offtopic: Scope drift warning.

Stove-fitted SR Passenger Brake Vans often seemed to be on fixed workings given that there were only an small number of them. Southern Goods Brakes were a different matter, there are pictures on the web of a Pillbox at Stechford and a Dancehall at Water Orton in the 1950s.  

• RMweb Gold

Queen Mary brake vans were easily the best brake vans ever to run in the UK, ever, bar none, and were highly desirable items.  For this reason they tended to wander around a bit, but the Southern, even after the end of RU working when all vans were supposed to be 'pool' except those branded for particular duties like the air braked ones, were assiduous in chasing them and retrieving them.  This became much easier for them after TOPS came in.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thought I'd ressurect this thread

rather than start a new one, although

my question is slightly off topic.

Was there a GWR verionrof the SR CCT van, and

would it or the BR version have run on the

Western region in the late 50 - early 60 period?

• RMweb Premium

GWR CCTs had the telegraph code 'Python', there is one preserved at Didcot,  which survived in traffic into 1960 and longer as a works vehicle. One type had a strengthened floor for circus elephants!

https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/misc/misc_bsa&singer181.htm

Dava

Edited by Dava

13 hours ago, rab said:

GWR CCT was the Python. Parkside do a kit in 4mm and 7mm I beleive.

16 hours ago, rab said:

If you mean the CCT in its role as a general parcels-carrying vehicle, rather than as a car-carrying vehicle, then the Fruit D is probably the closest equivalent.