DBSO lights..

Hi All,

I just got myself a DBSO coach (DRS as i happens) Looks good but need to put some lights in it so need to drill 2-2.5 mm holes to add the lights.

Anyone know of some LED lights that will fit in a 2mm or 2.5 mm hole preferably with flat ends so they don't stick out for the front.

I would like to run it in the DBSO direction but am also thinking of both white and red with a switch for direction change...

Below is my DBSO and under is the real thing :-)

gallery_30371_4288_48725.jpg

19557150068_bdd002710a_b.jpg

34042307784_e27d65fdf2_b.jpg

Maplins do them. I have some in my box of bits to do my DBSO one day. Can't remember the serial number but Maplins website is easy to navigate. HTH.

Oh great... How you going to do it ???? I plan to also light up the inside too.

• RMweb Premium

And another question, pushing stock with the Loco at the back... Can this lead to derailments ??

Thanks

The most reliable pushing is done through body mounted couplers as bogies can easily rotate in a vertical plane if the coupling forces go through them. Having said that, four coach trains of the DRS operations should be OK I push four coach yellow formations with a 37 with no real problems with bogie mounted Kadees.

As for LED's = look at 2mm lighthouse or tower types - the body and extension of them can be filed down to make them smaller and fit closer together.

post-408-0-97886900-1500572528.jpg

post-408-0-44728200-1500572529.jpg

They do need black paint around them to prevent light bleed.

Cheers,

Mick

Edited by newbryford
  • Like 1

Remember that DRS DBSOs have the white light at the top of the blanked corridor end as per your Flickr image.

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/class-31-umt/index.htm

This site is really helpful web stuff like this and this page shows how he's wired up a NR DBSO.

I assume you are DCC?

EDIT: Link

Great link here is the link to whole site

http://s374444733.websitehome.co.uk/railindex/trainsindex.htm

And another question, pushing stock with the Loco at the back... Can this lead to derailments ??

Thanks

Yes!  You can just about guarantee it with tension lock couplers.  Kadees or Hornby - Dublo / Peco type are much better but I run Tension locks in fixed rakes of carriages (6 or 7) and the couplers climb over each other and derail even on straight track unless I'm very careful when propelling on shunt moves.  Locos end coaches and wagons have H/D Peco type couplings and I habitually propel 24 wagons round reverse curves with few problems.

Hornby Hawkesworths with the close couplers are better.  You could always stick a power bogie in it and top and tail!  

Incidentally comparing model with prototype the matt finish lets the model down.  I don't know if stock was ever painted matt finish but all the Main line passenger stock I've seen in the last 25 years or so shines in sunlight and carries reflections.  Preserved stuff looks drab and lifeless..

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi All,

I just got myself a DBSO coach (DRS as i happens) Looks good but need to put some lights in it so need to drill 2-2.5 mm holes to add the lights.

Anyone know of some LED lights that will fit in a 2mm or 2.5 mm hole preferably with flat ends so they don't stick out for the front.

I would like to run it in the DBSO direction but am also thinking of both white and red with a switch for direction change...

Below is my DBSO and under is the real thing :-)

gallery_30371_4288_48725.jpg

19557150068_bdd002710a_b.jpg

34042307784_e27d65fdf2_b.jpg

Where did you find the original model. Is this the Britannia Pacific one? How does it run while being propelled?

Where did you find the original model. Is this the Britannia Pacific one? How does it run while being propelled?

Yes it is exactly that.

Haven't ran it yet.. Its in bits, taken apart and Lights and people added with a directional switch underneath and been painted Blue inside to match the blue colour of the light on all other DRS coaches i have. Actually not Blue lights, but the reflection from the blue seats makes them look blue so repainted the seats and sides blue for the same colour. need to test the colour later for a good match..  

Edited by 40034_Nick

22535105801_af76fb49a1_b.jpg

Now i have a dilemma. the two bottom lights as above i have as Red for the DBSO running at the rear. But if i run the DBSO on the front i do not have the bottom 2 Led lights white :-( .. Only the Top light and middle 2 as white which looks incorrect when running forwards.. Do i replace the bottom 2 red lights for white lights or leave as it is but looking incorrect(because of missing bottom 2 white lights) as DBSO is running forwards but running on rear looking correct..???? what would you do ??  

Edited by 40034_Nick

• RMweb Premium

22535105801_af76fb49a1_b.jpg

Now i have a dilemma. the two bottom lights as above i have as Red for the DBSO running at the rear. But if i run the DBSO on the front i do not have the bottom 2 Led lights white :-( .. Only the Top light and middle 2 as white which looks incorrect when running forwards.. Do i replace the bottom 2 red lights for white lights or leave as it is but looking incorrect(because of missing bottom 2 white lights) as DBSO is running forwards but running on rear looking correct..???? what would you do ??  

Hi

Would something like this work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicolor-LED-2mm-3mm-or-5mm-color-red-white-red-warm-white-or-red-yellow-/190894964341

Red and white in the same LED package and they list 2mm tower LED as being available.

Cheers

Paul

Hi

Would something like this work?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bicolor-LED-2mm-3mm-or-5mm-color-red-white-red-warm-white-or-red-yellow-/190894964341

Red and white in the same LED package and they list 2mm tower LED as being available.

Cheers

Paul

Wow, yes.. But how do you connect them with only 2 wires coming from them.. ?

• RMweb Premium

Wow, yes.. But how do you connect them with only 2 wires coming from them.. ?

Hi

You need to swap the polarity. They will give red with the power one way around and white with the power the other way.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

Hi

You need to swap the polarity. They will give red with the power one way around and white with the power the other way.

Cheers

Paul

Ok, i am not great at this stuff, so how do i do that without taking the coach off the rails and turning it around ?

• RMweb Premium

Ok, i am not great at this stuff, so how do i do that without taking the coach off the rails and turning it around ?

Hi

Are you using DC or DCC?

DC is easier as you just connect one side to one rail and the other to the other rail via a suitable value resistor. You would need to check which way around provides the correct colour for the direction of travel.

The lights will then change colour depending on the direction of travel as the polarity of the rails changes when you reverse the direction of the train.

I'm not sure how to do it on DCC as you can't use the normal F0 for both.

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

Hi

Are you using DC or DCC?

DC is easier as you just connect one side to one rail and the other to the other rail via a suitable value resistor. The lights will change colour depending on the direction of travel as the polarity of the rails changes when you reverse the direction of the train.

I'm not sure how to do it on DCC as you can't use the normal F0 for both.

Cheers

Paul

I am DCC... Thanks

• RMweb Premium

I am DCC... Thanks

Hi

In that case I'm not sure how to achieve it but I'm sure its possible. I'll have a think but hopefully someone will come along with a solution who has a better understanding of electronics than I do.

The diagram on the right of this post would suggest you can do it with the normal F0 output

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/63789-reasons-to-not-use-grain-of-wheat-bulbs/?p=838325

Cheers

Paul

Edited by PaulCheffus

• RMweb Premium

If you are using DCC (so you have a common positive on the lighting circuits) probably easier to use these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2mm-LIGHTHOUSE-BI-COLOUR-LEDs-WARM-WHITE-RED-Common-Anode-x10-Resistors-/162553707726?epid=2013665686&hash=item25d8f4bcce:g:hxYAAOxyeR9TKJms

Cheers

Hi

They would certainly make it much easier.

Cheers

Paul