Trainy McTrainface: Swedish rail firm approves name following online poll

DavidB-AU

This train naming marks the point at which I have definitely, and probably irrevocably, become a grumpy old bngger.

I cannot, try as I might, find anything even mildly amusing about it; it's simply infantile.

(Mallard, I think I am more miserable than you, but that is no surprise when you appear to be an attractive young woman, who presumably has the world at her feet, while I seem to be a railway guard, ordered by his boss to look cheerful for a poster, but actually rather fed up with the low pay on the railways in 1939.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

This train naming marks the point at which I have definitely, and probably irrevocably, become a grumpy old bngger.

I cannot, try as I might, find anything even mildly amusing about it; it's simply infantile.

(Mallard, I think I am more miserable than you, but that is no surprise when you appear to be an attractive young woman, who presumably has the world at her feet, while I seem to be a railway guard, ordered by his boss to look cheerful for a poster, but actually rather fed up with the low pay on the railways in 1939.)

Totally agree about the trains. Also locomotives should have decent names which actually mean something (IMO). However, Grit Spreaders and Gully Pot Cleaners (for example) can carry daft names just for fun. 

Actually I think your Guard is quite a jolly looking fellow; quite Thomas the Tank Engine.

Fart Controller. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I never realised how much thought can go into naming ships until I got involved in a couple of new build projects where I witnessed the deliberations behind the names eventually chosen. The main area of concern was a negative one, to make sure that the names under consideration would not be offensive or contentious in other languages on their intended routes. A name that sounds splendid to us may sound like some XXX rated foul mouthed filth in some countries or rather suggestive (I always remember seeing a ship called V*gina, clearly it was a nice name to somebody). Then you get the Boaty McBoatface idiocy.

• RMweb Premium

The truth is, Mallard, if you put glasses on my avatar, I'd look pretty much like him; can you say the same, eh?

Nope, however I'd certainly be happy to be able to bend my body parts as she has done/does now! Not sure I'd look that good in a Tu Tu either :O  :triniti:  :scared:post-2326-0-78668400-1511085635.jpg

Primal Donny

Edited by Mallard60022

In other public vote naming news, two Doncaster road gritters have been named:

Looking further down the report it seems that the Council already had a sense of humour!

"The council currently has five named gritter vehicles: Brad Grit, Gritney Spears, The Subzero Hero, Mr Plow and Usain Salt."

• RMweb Gold

If anyone thinks this is all a load of carp then you must be even more miserable than me.

I have a complete and utter sense of humour failure when it comes to this boat or train naming carp.

Vacuous idiocy, pandering to a load of over-grown kids in a world that is increasingly resembling a kindergarten.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I have a complete and utter sense of humour failure when it comes to this boat or train naming carp.

Vacuous idiocy, pandering to a load of over-grown kids in a world that is increasingly resembling a kindergarten.

Oh you old spoilsport you..................................... :declare: