Blog- Stock for Brent 1947 GWR - The Saint pt 3

I cannot believe just how much filler is ending up on this model, but the boiler is finally getting close to completion. I have now identified from photos that the outer row of rivets on the smokebox should be flush, which is handy as some were damaged by the original boiler, the rest have now been removed.

The next job as fitting the available details, so far adding a cast top feed, the boiler side details / reverser, one cab step and the boiler back head.

The other step appears to be missing (no idea where it could be) so a replacement will either be purchased or fabricated, more importantly the chimney is missing. If I haven't found it before I next see SE Finecast at a show (probably Scaleforum) I will arrange to buy a replacement.

Finally the chassis, I am still in two minds as to whether I will just build it unpowered with the cast metal lump (and double head) or see if I can adapt the Hall chassis to fit. Again as the forward section of the cast frame is missing (presumably in whichever stock box contains the chimney and the other step), the latter is looking the best option).

Somehow I need to drill out the Romford crank pins (which have sheared off and will not unscrew). I am currently thinking the best solution will be to file them flush, then redrill and use with Gibson crank pins. ​I cant stand the soldered on Romford pins)

The current status (fitted to the old chassis) along side a Modified Hall

Attached thumbnail(s)
  • blogentry-54-0-05690900-1500653791_thumb

View the full article
  • Like 1