'Zugastieta'- Southwold in Spain

Today I came across an article about a locomotive of much the same pattern as those of the Southwold railway, supplied to the Guernica and Amorebieta railway in Spain, the locomotive in question is Sharp Stewart no. 3435 of 1888 (metre gauge) which was withdrawn in 1956 and is evidently still in existance, having been allowed to deteriorate somewhat

079+Familia+Reigadas,+Exposici%C3%B3n+fe

Might be worth looking at repatriating with the intention of restoration and running on the fledgling Southwold railway

• Like 1

when you say allowed to deteriorate somewhat, this photo was taken in 2011.

5616903498_2dc9776e82_z.jpg

it was restored in 1992. The basque railway museum keep it in good condition so far as I know. I'd also guess (though I haven't checked the measurements) that it is a good deal bigger than the southwold locos.

There is another Sharp, Stewart 060T in spain, El Elsa is still at Sabero so far as I know, it was working (not preserved) into the 1980s but I think the stock is now stored. Although I may well be wrong on the current situation.

• Like 2

Thats good to hear! A quick google search revealed only a few photos of her, some of which showed her in rather a sorry state

csochpt9o6cwdvz1f.jpg

Even the 1975 article expressed fears of her having been cut up

Pity about that rather naff replacement chimney they've gone and fitted...

Edited by Killian keane

• 2 weeks later...

These two (ZUGASTIETA and EL ESLA) were mentioned in a thread in the "Overseas Prototype" section, after being cross-captioned in this post: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/69632-british-outline-locos-overseas/?p=2626621 (not corrected).

Out of interest, where was the article mentioned in the first post in this thread?

I hadn't seen that thread prior to this, its a cracker!

Tha article was in the March 1975 Railway Magazine entitled 'Scottish veteran in Spain' by Richard Phillips, I would be happy to send you a scan if you wish, but I'm away for the next two weeks or so

Edited by Killian keane

I hadn't seen that thread prior to this, its a cracker!

Tha article was in the March 1975 Railway Magazine entitled 'Scottish veteran in Spain' by Richard Phillips, I would be happy to send you a scan if you wish, but I'm away for the next two weeks or so

I should have a copy of that issue ... somewhere!

Edit: Found it!

Edited by EddieB

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to see pictures of the other two locos...

Very interesting topic.

Thanks, Alex

Which do you mean by the other two?  The link in my earlier post is to RMweb thread that has pictures of both ZUGASTIETA and EL ESLA. 

In total, there are six steam locomotives built by Sharp Stewart surviving in Spain, of which six are narrow gauge - but those two are the only metre gauge 0-6-0Ts.