My most depressing station is ...

Seeing a thread requesting information about Manchester Mayfield caused me to remember how our spirits would fall when we'd realise the train we were about to catch for a great time out in Manchester was to terminate at Mayfield instead of London Road/Piccadilly

Even in the 1950s Manchester Mayfield seemed semi-derelict with a long long way to walk before civilisation and warmth was reached at the Kardomah caff near Piccadilly

Earlier in life Coburn Road somewhere outside Liverpool St in the 1940s looked like it had died a decade earlier.

Nothing quite looks as depressing as a decaying Victorian Gothic station. Rotherham Masborough used to score highly in this category; Middlesborough still does.

What would be your nomination be?

dh

• Like 1

Ive changed trains a couple of times, from ECML services to the secondary services to the East Coast proper, and the sight of a two or four car MU set in some gaudy livery reminiscent of a soft drink can, standing in a huge empty train shed, always depresses me.

• RMweb Gold

BIGGLESWADE.......!

I visited an elderly couple there back in the 1970`s.

When the old lady opened the door she told me I was too late to see Sid as she had sent him to the bottom of the garden to fetch a lettuce and he had collapsed and died on his vegetable plot.

When I said I was terribly sorry and asked if she was alright..

She said `Oh yes dear.... I opened a tin of peas`

Those were the days.............

• RMweb Gold

In my childhood, I think the worst station was probably East Brixton (closed c.1974 just before it fell into the street below). But that part of London had quite a few contenders and still does: Loughborough Jct, Queen's Rd Peckham, South Bermondsey.

BIGGLESWADE.......!

I visited an elderly couple there back in the 1970`s.

When the old lady opened the door she told me I was too late to see Sid as she had sent him to the bottom of the garden to fetch a lettuce and he had collapsed and died on his vegetable plot.

When I said I was terribly sorry and asked if she was alright..

She said `Oh yes dear.... I opened a tin of peas`

Those were the days.............

[ FX RIMSHOT ]

There was no shortage of depressingly 'Dickensian Workhouse' stations before the 1960's especially in Cottonopolis. Oldham Werneth, in a cutting and adjacent to a dank smelly tunnel, was a bad 'un. Middleton with it's skeleton roof was another. Even Royton with its open aspect was pure cotton town grot. Oldham was an utterly depressing district anyway. 

The L&Y Summit line via Todmorden was depressing even by the lineside, whereas the LNWR Standedge line over the Pennines seemed exciting. Same with the Woodhead line before 1954 although Guide Bridge was depressingly cold and draughty when all the platforms had canopies as was Denton. Oxford Road station in Manchester also springs to mind as depressing, not helped by those dark green EMU's. Having mentioned electrics, the whole Manchester-Bury electric line was depressing especially when the old L&YR Units were LMS brownish maroon.

Jeepers, I nearly forgot to mention Blaenau Ffestiniog North.

Edited by coachmann

The North London Railway stations were the pits forty years ago. Somewhere like Dalston on a grey cold and wet January day suggested a location somewhat East of the Iron Curtain. Filthy, no shelter or facilities, evidence of demolition and decay everywhere. Any access stairs appeared to have plentiful permanent puddles, with 'tricklings' going down several steps: and the odour suggested a biological origin.The slam door EMUs with 'prison bars' over the droplights further contributed to the misery of the scene...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Three contenders from me:

Gatwick Airport - Hopelessly overcrowded and utterly inadequate for the airport it purports to serve, essentially seven dingy platforms with a glorified tin shed over the top of it and very luggage unfriendly!!!

Euston - Nasty Concrete carbuncle that needs flattening ASAP

But worst of all, [Drum Roll please] the prosecution enters the following into evidence.  Crawley, I mean , look at it:

post-6910-0-76462100-1500990888_thumb.jpg

I'll nominate my village station, Fairbourne.

Don't get me wrong, in terms of service we've never had it so good.  Two hourly air-conditioned trains to Birmingham International (when things are running right) and up the coast to Pwllheli is the best ever service the station has ever had.  But, since ERTMS, there's no variety of stock - heavily refurbished 158s (nice trains in themselves) in the dowdy WAG almost suburban rail blue, or the Yellow Peril NR locos.  No steam, no visiting Deltics or 67s.  Add to that a basic station with brick shelter that, despite the best efforts of the village Art Club's mural to brighten up the interior (which I worked on with other members over a couple of days with support from ATW) manages to look like three quarters of a WW2 air raid shelter.  I'm not sure what can be done, it is a basic station and serves it's purpose, and the economics of the location probably won't merit anything else.  ERTMS is there and until it is rolled out elsewhere, you are unlikely to see any more stock fitted with it.  It is a bit sad though compared to the variety of specials and stock that was still using the route when I moved to the village.

• RMweb Premium

I suppose stations can be depressing for various reasons, but I am always upset by those that have suffered a catastrophic decline in their importance and facilities.

Morcambe and Pontypool Road are two that immediately come to mind, but there will be lots of others.

In the present day, Oxford; Considering the city it serves, and the number of tourists that pass through it, the place is a shambles. On the Down platform (2 to me, always, but now daftly 4) there is a short canopy and a huge uncovered area with two bus shelters; On the Up platform (again, 1 to me but officially now 3) the 1910 canopy at the north end was removed when Chiltern extended to Oxford, but the crudely cut-off columns remain, with a very uneven platform surface. The entrance/exit to the platform is hopelessly inadequate, and when a crowd waiting for an Up train is met by another crowd off a down train rushing off the footbridge it is actually dangerous. Plus there is no cover at all on the Up side bay platforms. Apart from that it's a great place.

• RMweb Gold

Three contenders from me:

Euston - Nasty Concrete carbuncle that needs flattening ASAP

Personally, I love Euston. Recent retail developments have not helped one bit, but I love the big circulating area with its marble floor and high ceiling. The old Euston, though long demolished before I was born, sounded like a depressing place. And as for the Doric Arch -pig ugly monstrosity! Why try to make a railway station look like a Greek temple? Who are you trying to kid?

My nomination for most depressing station today would have to be Swindon though.

• Like 3

Bromley by Bow.

I believe it to be unique in having burnt down twice. Around 1892 and again around 1970 from memory.

The mainline part was closed long ago. The underground booking hall, being generous there, was covered in scaffolding a couple of weeks ago and had been like that for a long time. I have never been there when the barriers were working.

If you do manage to reach the outside there is the traffic on the A12 to deafen you and the site of dereliction on the other side of the road will finish you off.

Bernard

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Trowbridge - Functional yes, aesthetically pleasing - No. A bus stop on one side and a late 80's bungalow for a booking hall on the other.

• RMweb Gold

and the people - don't forget the people ....................... :O

Trowbridge was a depressing place even before the bus shelter.

I spent over an hour there waiting for a failed 33, which eventually arrived behind a 47, on a freezing December evening in 1983.