Decoder with sound capability

Bansuri

Hi,

I'm still reading up on this and hence the basic query. I see that there are decoders of various kinds & functions available but most functions are for controlling front / rear lights etc. And then there are the sound cards that are capable of producing 8 bit or 16 bit sounds etc...

Aren't there a combo of these cards which can be used on the loco, as in one decoder that can have the 16bit sound card capability and with the ability to control a few functions (such as leds / lamps)?

Again, pardon my ignorance..still reading up on these..

Best

• RMweb Premium

Sound decoders as far as I am aware do everything a normal loco decoder does plus sound.

e.g. http://www.dccsupplies.com/item-p-103592/loksound-54400-v4-0-decoder-8-pin.htm

You can get sound only cards but these are intended for devices without motors in. (driving trailers etc.)

Keith

Edited by melmerby

Sound decoders come with a lot of functions as standard, usually as many as the socket can handle in the case of Zimo:-

PluX-22   = 12

MTC-21   = 10

PluX-16   = 6

Next-18S = 6

PluX-12   = 4

Other sockets are not really suitable for sound, but sound decoders are available and will have function outputs, often as many as the above but you have to solder to the decoder to use them.

Hi,

I'm still reading up on this and hence the basic query. I see that there are decoders of various kinds & functions available but most functions are for controlling front / rear lights etc. And then there are the sound cards that are capable of producing 8 bit or 16 bit sounds etc...

Aren't there a combo of these cards which can be used on the loco, as in one decoder that can have the 16bit sound card capability and with the ability to control a few functions (such as leds / lamps)?

Best

Yes,

Soundtraxx, Zimo, CT Elektronic, Loksound ESU to name a few. 

Hi,

Best

Your description of sound cards and 8 and 16 bit sounds reminded me of where we were with retrofitting sound to PCs 20 years ago using dedicated cards plugged in to a slot on the motherboard.

Loco decoders come in two basic varieties, those without sound, and those with sound. A sound decoder does everything that a non-sound one can do. Obviously, some decoders have more facilities than others.

Edited by GoingUnderground

And if the loco you are fitting to needs conversion or soldering of leads to .... get a multimeter FIRST as it is a lot cheaper than a sound decoder ... and can be cheaper than even a cheap silent decoder !!   (YOU MUST ensure that the track is no longer connected to the MOTOR  before you fit the Dcc Decoder...  

Older models using bulbs for lighting might also require 'conversion' before 'digitising'; as bulbs, when left on all the time (as with dcc, unlike with analogue) will run 'hot' and may melt nearby plastic.  They  may also have been wired in a way that was easy for analiogue, but not usable without modification with a decoder.     

Therefore the recomendation, as others have suggested - is choose a 'DCC Sound Ready' loco FIRST .. eg with one of the newer decoder connecotr types, or otherwise a 'DCC READY'  loco with the older 8pin connector - but a speaker may have to be wired up.

Thanks again experts..I came across the Soundtraxx 829100 that seems to be selling at a great price here:

http://store.sbs4dcc.com/Soundtraxx829100TsunamiSoundCarDigitalSoundDecoder.aspx

Seems to have a ton of functions and fairly decent reviews..I'm a hobby electronics enthusiast and fairly comfortable with my basics...the only thing that I'm a little skeptical about is the isolation of the motor..and there doesn't seem to be a way to find out if a particular loco has to undergo this treatment unless you buy one..as in there's no look up table that Bachmann Santa Fe doesn't need it but another model needs it...

It is not easy to tell with the American Bachmann sets, but if buying a set there is usually good value to be had getting a set that is DCC and possibly DCC sound already.

Since the EMD FT locomotive in the Santa Fe set is not available separately it is not easy to tell what socket (if any) the loco has, and I suspect it might not have one and not be suitable for a beginner sound installation.

I think there might be some value in talking to a shop that stocks the sets and see if they can enlighten you. 

It is not easy to tell with the American Bachmann sets, but if buying a set there is usually good value to be had getting a set that is DCC and possibly DCC sound already.

Since the EMD FT locomotive in the Santa Fe set is not available separately it is not easy to tell what socket (if any) the loco has, and I suspect it might not have one and not be suitable for a beginner sound installation.

I think there might be some value in talking to a shop that stocks the sets and see if they can enlighten you. 

Thanks Suzie...my reading and learning continues :-)

• 1 month later...

Just make sure it is a loco with a socket suitable for sound (MTC-21 or Next-18S if it is a Bachmann loco), and a suitable speaker is fitted or available.

A really simple to install 8-pin sound decoder is the Zimo MX645R, which comes with speaker wires attached, ready to simply hook up to the chosen speaker.

These are all valid answers but.....

You would normally buy a sound decoder with the project already installed. Eg. decoder specifically for an A4, black 5 or class 37.

You can buy blank decoders but you would need to 'blow' your own sound files onto it. This is quite advanced & although you can download some generic files, it is usually better to record your own.

If you are in a position to do this, then you would probably know all about the features available in the first place.

What do you actually want to do?

Thanks again experts..I came across the Soundtraxx 829100 that seems to be selling at a great price here:

http://store.sbs4dcc.com/Soundtraxx829100TsunamiSoundCarDigitalSoundDecoder.aspx

Seems to have a ton of functions and fairly decent reviews..I'm a hobby electronics enthusiast and fairly comfortable with my basics...the only thing that I'm a little skeptical about is the isolation of the motor..and there doesn't seem to be a way to find out if a particular loco has to undergo this treatment unless you buy one..as in there's no look up table that Bachmann Santa Fe doesn't need it but another model needs it...

Hi,

Apologies if others have said this already but the sound decoder in your link is not for locos - its for going in rolling stock to give the sound effects of rolling stock (and four lighting function outputs).

Most sound decoders are for fitting in locos and most are for specific loco prototypes. Going by your original post a mobile loco sound decoder is the type you require.

Regards

Nick