Hornby TTS Sound Class 31

Oliver Rails

That's really great value. My only reservation is that the green 31 in that guise is, in fact, a 30 and should have Mirrlees sounds - not Rails' problem, though. :)

I am tempted to get one myself and swap the sound into my blue Lima/Hornby hybrid 31. My only problem with that is the number of other pre-ordered items due in the very near future (including a few from Rails) that will impact heavily on my credit card!

• Like 1

That's really great value. My only reservation is that the green 31 in that guise is, in fact, a 30 and should have Mirrlees sounds - not Rails' problem, though. :)

I am tempted to get one myself and swap the sound into my blue Lima/Hornby hybrid 31. My only problem with that is the number of other pre-ordered items due in the very near future (including a few from Rails) that will impact heavily on my credit card!

I know what you mean about vast number of southern items in the near future, I had to cancel £400 worth from the South West to keep this years budget reasonable.

Note though, on the TTS sound chip front, Hornby are releasing the chip by itself.

Hi John.

Yes we sell the model de-chipped and we also sell the sound decoder separately. Both can be found here:

https://beta.railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/2669-railroad-class-31-with-tts-sound

That's a nice little mark up! £20 price difference for the sake of pulling out the chip and popping in a 8 pin blanking plug. Then selling the chip on for £49.50. I'm obviously in the wrong full time job!

Edited by Sam Moss

• RMweb Gold

That's a nice little mark up! £20 price difference for the sake of pulling out the chip and popping in a 8 pin blanking plug. Then selling the chip on for £49.50. I'm obviously in the wrong full time job!

No, you're in the right job, at least you don't have people making snide comments about your business plan.

Mike.

• Like 3

Hi John.

Yes we sell the model de-chipped and we also sell the sound decoder separately. Both can be found here:

https://beta.railsofsheffield.com/news/articles/2669-railroad-class-31-with-tts-sound

That's useful. The TTS models are ideal for battery power radio control as the insides are mostly empty space and I don't want or need sound. Will you be selling a similar class 37 when it is released?

• RMweb Premium

Hornby price all their TTS separate sound chips at £39.99 here -

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/power-control/tts-sound-decoders.html

But I do not know whether this includes the speaker. I kind of assume it's all wired up together and ready to plug in/ go, but not sure.

I rather fancied taking a punt on one of these skinheads (for conversion to P4 and see what sound was like in the flesh on a home layout) until I read they have traction tyres. Never mind, saved some money.

Izzy

Hornby price all their TTS separate sound chips at £39.99 here -

https://www.Hornby.com/uk-en/shop/power-control/tts-sound-decoders.html

But I do not know whether this includes the speaker. I kind of assume it's all wired up together and ready to plug in/ go, but not sure.

I rather fancied taking a punt on one of these skinheads (for conversion to P4 and see what sound was like in the flesh on a home layout) until I read they have traction tyres. Never mind, saved some money.

Izzy

Last year they were showed with speaker and as this is a compliment for their models, I am sure they will include them with a speaker.

• RMweb Gold

Last year they were showed with speaker and as this is a compliment for their models, I am sure they will include them with a speaker.

I know its only a TTS decoder ... but does anyone else think it sounded a bit more 1st Generation DMU in places there than a proper loco???

The sound quality is directly related to the cheap speaker supplied. I've fitted the 47 TTS chip in the Bachmann model with a YLR-302506 speaker from YouChoos in the fuel tank  and an iphone speaker under the fans  - this combo gives a far more substantial sound with more base notes. I've got the TTS decoder on pre order from hattons for £36 and it will be going in main range 31.

Izzy

Why should traction tyres be a problem? You'd be swapping the Railroad wheelsets for those with the P4 profile and back-to-back???

• RMweb Premium

Why should traction tyres be a problem? You'd be swapping the Railroad wheelsets for those with the P4 profile and back-to-back???

Er, no, I'd be re-machining the Hornby wheels to suit. As per here -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124592-some-Hornby-j15-alterations/

Well I will be, I hope. On the other hand.........

Your pointer to the BV site tempted me, but the postage - classed as courier - was a fiver.

Still, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. And at least a skinhead would be an East Anglian loco in it's early/later life. Trying to find where 5551 was mainly located in the '60's. Anyone know by any chance?

cheers,

Izzy

• RMweb Premium

Ipswich and Stratford.

http://brdatabase.info/locoqry.php?action=locodata&type=D&id=5551&loco=5551

As well as lacking bufferbeam cowling I also suspect the waistband is missing, a painted representation only. Though the latter is no different on the high end version.

C6T.

Yes, many thanks. Just trawled through the GER society PDF on loco allocations to discover 5551 was allocated to Ipswich in 1960/62 and it suits me very nicely if it was later at Stratford as I am modelling the ex GE 1960's based around North East Essex.

regards,

Izzy

Er, no, I'd be re-machining the Hornby wheels to suit. As per here -

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/124592-some-Hornby-j15-alterations/

Well I will be, I hope. On the other hand.........

Your pointer to the BV site tempted me, but the postage - classed as courier - was a fiver.

Still, as they say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. And at least a skinhead would be an East Anglian loco in it's early/later life. Trying to find where 5551 was mainly located in the '60's. Anyone know by any chance?

cheers,

Izzy

Good luck with that. The BV postage charge is the same as Rails of Sheffield for the same service and you could have had it in your sticky hands tomorrow...

I've ordered one simply because of the Ipswich allocation and to go with the two Lima all green ones whose bodies will be dropped onto a pair of Dutch-liveried Railroad ones I bought cheap in the BV sale. I decided to overlook the buffer beam cowling omission on these as life can be too short.

• RMweb Premium

Good luck with that. The BV postage charge is the same as Rails of Sheffield for the same service and you could have had it in your sticky hands tomorrow...

I've ordered one simply because of the Ipswich allocation and to go with the two Lima all green ones whose bodies will be dropped onto a pair of Dutch-liveried Railroad ones I bought cheap in the BV sale. I decided to overlook the buffer beam cowling omission on these as life can be too short.

I have ordered one, perhaps I didn't compose the sentence very well, sorry. Oh, it would be nice to get it tomorrow. Then the fun will really begin........

Izzy

The cowling issue is not that difficult to resolve with some thick plastic card. Even if you don't have exactly the right green to match Hornby's model, a little weathering will disguise any mismatch.

The waistrail mouldings are a much more difficult proposition, though.