Hornby TTS Sound Class 31

Oliver Rails

If you would like to refer back to your question on the product page you will find Hornby has since amended their answer to say that the recording is of the EE motor.

Rob

Thanks, just spotted that, Hornby now says: "Apologies for any confusion caused, but the R3592TTS Class 31 recording actually uses the English Electric engine sounds"

• RMweb Premium

Curiously Lima released a Class 31 (the same body and chassis moulding as this release of course) with exactly the same number D5551 all be it with small yellow warning panels.  I wonder why Hornby then went and choose that particular number for this release?

• RMweb Premium

The last picture in particular shows (to me) a distinct shadow/highlight on the waistband. My trouble with the first full fat models, was the thinking by Hornby, that this could be replicated by multiple paint passes.

On the real locomotives the band is barely 2mm proud of the body, unperceptible in 1:76. But the Lima/Airfix mouldings "looked right", whereas 31270 in blue never did.

I have to admit, this model doesn't look half bad on the waistband front. Shame the bufferbeam cowling is missing, but it being a Skinhead I'll stick with full fat D5511. I won't mix n match two models so far apart in dissimilar tooling.

I'd snap up a no yellow end, 'box fitted Goyle in a flash though. (Airfix D55XX excepted).

I'm of the opinion Hornby have not got the tooling, if it ever existed, to do such a model though. Shame.

C6T.

Although the waistband is raised and you can feel it quite easily if you run your finger over it, in real life terms it doesn't appear obviously thick, perhaps thanks to the way Hornby have applied the paint to it. This is of course a Railroad model, but it's interesting to see how basic it is, no makers plate or overhead warning patches as per the earlier Lima issue of the same number with the half yellow ends - as per a later post. But all credit to Hornby, the sound aspect is probably worth it alone at this price point, and even better at the prices Rails & others are asking. And it does allow you, if like me you like that kind of thing, to do a little modelling to add, as someone recently remarked, a little 'polish' to it, well maybe with a fair bit of elbow grease!

Izzy

TTS decoders will run on DC but will not produce any sound.

I don't believe that the Gaugemaster will help overcome this, but it may be useful for morefully featured sound decoders rigged to run on analogue.

Kind regards,

Paul

The controller allow me to switch between DC and DCC (the video of the 31 is filmed using it in DCC mode), really does works a dream. Perfect for what I'm after for the moment. Will do a short video on taking a closer look at the controller when I get the time 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHP5cwDvADM

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The controller allow me to switch between DC and DCC (the video of the 31 is filmed using it in DCC mode), really does works a dream. Perfect for what I'm after for the moment. Will do a short video on taking a closer look at the controller when I get the time 

Would be good to see, including any downfalls you might encounter. I probably need a new controller for my third or outer oval. Aside from one cross over to second oval (normal insulfrogs) the third oval is self contained, so I'm wondering if this is a possibility for control. On looking it up last night the controller seems to have ability to switch from 12v dc to 16v ac . I'm just worried that my dc locos that I think are isolated in sidings by virtue of insulfrog points get fried, I just know I'm going to forget to change the points by mistake, its almost inevitable .  Really interested in how you get on if you run DC and DCC together, is there any interference . I am not interested in straight DCC as all this caper with CV values, back emf etc would do my head in . I get enough technology at work, don't need even more of it when I get home.  Interestingly the unit seems to be out of stock in most major suppliers and Gaugemaster itself . 

Look forward to your video . Thanks for the info.  I see there was a thread on here about it but until you posted it had passed me by.  It is incredible you can get a sound loco for £69 and possibly a controller to run it on for £97!

The last picture in particular shows (to me) a distinct shadow/highlight on the waistband. My trouble with the first full fat models, was the thinking by Hornby, that this could be replicated by multiple paint passes.

On the real locomotives the band is barely 2mm proud of the body, unperceptible in 1:76. But the Lima/Airfix mouldings "looked right", whereas 31270 in blue never did.

I have to admit, this model doesn't look half bad on the waistband front. Shame the bufferbeam cowling is missing, but it being a Skinhead I'll stick with full fat D5511. I won't mix n match two models so far apart in dissimilar tooling.

I'd snap up a no yellow end, 'box fitted Goyle in a flash though. (Airfix D55XX excepted).

I'm of the opinion Hornby have not got the tooling, if it ever existed, to do such a model though. Shame.

C6T.

I'm with you that the waistband does look good here from the photos - I've ordered one now from Rails and will find out the reality in due course.

Its a shame Hornby don't make the cowls available as a spare, although as many have done they shouldn't be too difficult to make in plastikard. If you have one of the full fat models so fitted, you just need a friend in to resin moulding, as they can be taken off quite easily by undoing two screws.

I was a bit confused with your last comment about a no yellow end box fitted model. Right back at the start Hornby issued as full fat variant this bodyshell with GSYP. They sold like hotcakes, being essential for any '60's ER layout. I don't see why they couldn't re-run this without the yellow panel. Perhaps I've missed something?

John.

Would be good to see, including any downfalls you might encounter. I probably need a new controller for my third or outer oval. Aside from one cross over to second oval (normal insulfrogs) the third oval is self contained, so I'm wondering if this is a possibility for control. On looking it up last night the controller seems to have ability to switch from 12v dc to 16v ac . I'm just worried that my dc locos that I think are isolated in sidings by virtue of insulfrog points get fried, I just know I'm going to forget to change the points by mistake, its almost inevitable . Really interested in how you get on if you run DC and DCC together, is there any interference . I am not interested in straight DCC as all this caper with CV values, back emf etc would do my head in . I get enough technology at work, don't need even more of it when I get home. Interestingly the unit seems to be out of stock in most major suppliers and Gaugemaster itself .

Look forward to your video . Thanks for the info. I see there was a thread on here about it but until you posted it had passed me by. It is incredible you can get a sound loco for £69 and possibly a controller to run it on for £97!

Yes, it does allow to switch between the two systems. As you say, you got to make sure you points are switched and isolated. Though to be safe you can always take the locos off the track.

Will start filming something tomorrow. Might be a bit different to my normal reviews as there a lot into cover ;)

Edited by SDJR7F88

• RMweb Premium

Yes, it does allow to switch between the two systems. As you say, you got to make sure you points are switched and isolated. Though to be safe you can always take the locos off the track.

Will start filming something tomorrow. Might be a bit different to my normal reviews as there a lot into cover ;)

Looking forward to it Callum.

Ive had an MRC  Tech 6 (same as ( Gaugemaster ) for about 10 ish  years and found its great within its own limitation s. i use it to set up sound decoders and also on my SP switching  layout .Great fun and it works if you have to run both DC and DCC though of course not at the same time  and  only one loco .Of course the NCE unit is better but no DC on tap .

Just been playing with my 31, from Derails, and it makes a very nice addition to my TTS diesel fleet*!

One thing I noted is that Hornby seem to have reduced the default volume of the loco as its much quieter than the 37s were out of the box!  Perhaps too quiet?  Its got a good sound too, nothing like the rattle of rusty nails** that Cairn Gorm makes when running up!  (bought when RoS had a flash sale about a month ago...)

* Two green 40s, a rebodied 37 (Lima green split headcode body) and a rebodied 47 (Lima again, via Great British Locomotives).  A liking for green diesels, moi?  :jester:

** That is, the noise a full sized Class 66 makes, not a criticism of the fidelity of the TTS implementation by Hornby! 

Edits for expansion and, upon mature reflection, clarification...

Edited by Hroth
  • Like 2

This unit is clearly more capable than I gave it credit.

The system provides a 'third way' for DC users to access sound features of DCC sound decoders. Great tip I'll be happy to pass on.

Kind regards,

Paul

• RMweb Gold

Only found out about the Controller last week, really is perfect for what I need, as I have been tempted to get one or two sound fitted locos for my layouts, but at the same time stay DC. The unit was just shy of £100 (same price as a basic DCC Controller), but unlike one of the basic DCC controller, it allows you to use all 29 sound functions (a Select will only allow you to use 9). Oh and off course run Analogue locos too.  :locomotive:

Just wanted to Clarify that the Hornby Select controller will control all 29 functions, not just 9!!!

It does need to be on firmware V1.5 and if its not, then it can be sent back to Hornby to have it upgraded.

Cheers

Ian

I'm with you that the waistband does look good here from the photos - I've ordered one now from Rails and will find out the reality in due course.

Its a shame Hornby don't make the cowls available as a spare, although as many have done they shouldn't be too difficult to make in plastikard. If you have one of the full fat models so fitted, you just need a friend in to resin moulding, as they can be taken off quite easily by undoing two screws.

I was a bit confused with your last comment about a no yellow end box fitted model. Right back at the start Hornby issued as full fat variant this bodyshell with GSYP. They sold like hotcakes, being essential for any '60's ER layout. I don't see why they couldn't re-run this without the yellow panel. Perhaps I've missed something?

John.

I stand corrected John, it looks like they've done three actually, all with small yellow panels!

C6T.

Purchased one of these on impulse, at £69 it's was hard to say no! It's my first DCC Sound fitted locomotive, and I must say I'm certainly not disappointed! :locomotive: Since I'm still on good old DC, I bought a Gauge Master DCC75 Analogue/DCC Sound Controller (for use on my micro exhibition layout) and it runs (and sounds) a dream!

Showed a few family members the model in action, to which I got the replied "So how much did that cost then?... " They were certainly surprised when I said it was under £70! :jester:

Just editing up a little video now, which will hopefully be up by the morning, as I found with filming my friends DCC Sound Locos, the Mic on my camera does not do it justice.

Very pleased indeed! (Though I might just have been bite by the DCC Bug...) ;)

Interesting, I did not know someone did a controller that switches from DC to DCC and back and my first thought was getting one of these to run on my big cab control DC layout - currently I have to steal the laptop from my wife and branch a Hornby e-link (my first and current DCC system - which is good value but requires user patience!) if I wish to run a DCC sound loco (the cab control allows me to set any part of the layout to DCC while it runs, leaving the rest running under classic DC).

My only gripe from reading the instructions of DCC75, is the fact that it resets the loco address back to 0003 in order to run it - something I certainly would not want to happen after spending so much time setting up each DCC loco. Hopefully they will do an upgraded version some day which allows you to choose a loco address instead, that way you can have several locos on the line at once and choose the one you wish to operate (a major point in having DCC locos in the first place).

Look forwards to Hornby releasing the TTS chip apart to add to my full fat detailed class 31.

Edited by JSpencer

Interesting, I did not know someone did a controller that switches from DC to DCC and back and my first thought was getting one of these to run on my big cab control DC layout - currently I have to steal the laptop from my wide and branch a Hornby e-link (my first and current DCC system - which is good value but requires user patience!) if I wish to run a DCC sound loco (the cab control allows me to set any part of the layout to DCC while it runs, leaving the rest running under classic DC).

My only gripe from reading the instructions of DCC75, is the fact that it resets the loco address back to 0003 in order to run it - something I certainly would not want to happen after spending so much time setting up each DCC loco. Hopefully they will do an upgraded version some day which allows you to choose a loco address instead, that way you can have several locos on the line at once and choose the one you wish to operate (a major point in having DCC locos in the first place).

Look forwards to Hornby releasing the TTS chip apart to add to my full fat detailed class 31.

Rails are splitting the decoders mate

Just wanted to Clarify that the Hornby Select controller will control all 29 functions, not just 9!!!

It does need to be on firmware V1.5 and if its not, then it can be sent back to Hornby to have it upgraded.

Cheers

Ian

Thanks for the info, most website I went on while looking at the Select only said it only would allow 9. Oh well, will know what controller to start with if I really get hooked on DCC ;)

Edited by SDJR7F88

TTS retro range is due in the shops in September, but some box shifters are splitting them out and flogging them on.

Its not just "box shifters", have a look on ebay, you can find helpful people selling the sound gubbins around the £50 mark, and the decoderless locos for about £10 more. 

The Hornby sound systems appear to be pre-order at about £34/£36 from the "usual suspects"

Personally, I'm thinking about getting a couple of Class 31 sound systems when they come out to fit into two blue Class 31s that I got from Hattons when they  were selling them cheaply a couple of years ago.

Rails are splitting the decoders mate

I agree but as I have 3 of the TTS chips on order (all different), I can wait until September and save postage. I doubt I will have time to install them before then anyway.