East Lancashire Railway attacked by vandals

PrestburyJack

From the BBC website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-40742336

Vandals smashed windows and daubed graffiti on heritage railway carriages, causing up to £30,000 of damage on the week of its 30th anniversary.

Paint was thrown on to an East Lancashire Railway (ELR) diesel engine and about 40 carriage windows were smashed in Bury between 20 and 25 July.

A 13-year-old boy and two girls aged 13 and 14 have been charged with criminal damage, Greater Manchester Police said.

ELR general manager Tracey Parkinson said it was "devastating" to see.

This already being discussed on the thread covering the damage on the North Yorkshire Moors.

Yes but it is a different Railway so makes sense to have a seperate thread for it.

I created a separate thread to highlight the fact that this is yet another railway that has suffered damage, the more people realise this is happening the more other railways will take steps to try prevent it happening to them.

Edited by PrestburyJack

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately, it's not a railway problem, it's a societal problem. As reprehensible as these acts are they're representative of the sort of "low level" crime that makes life a misery on a daily basis for thousands.

Pity the parents will not have to pay for their children's actions.

My local station has been plagued by a group of vermin aged between 12 and 16. Trains have been vandalised, staff and customers threatened and assaulted. One female member of staff was followed home and told that her dogs would be killed. Last week 20 cars were damaged, one driver was told he would be stabbed, a ticket collector was chased by a youth with a broken bottle, and a female passenger was racially abused. These youths are even still outside the station at 5am drunk. This has been going on for 7 months.

Now you are going to say what are the parents doing about it why are social services and the police not doing something about it? Well these kids are in the care of social services, who don't care. They are under protection orders so the police claim they cannot arrest them. These kids think they are untouchable and it would seem they are. It has got to the point where the unions are threatening not to run any trains into the station unless something is done.

Surely they have organs that can be harvested?

Griff

I would like to nominate myself to chair the committee that has the responsibility of selecting those who are to have their organs harvested. Now were did I put my little black book?

Best

Guy

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

They are under protection orders so the police claim they cannot arrest them.

That sounds a bit odd - it seems really unlikely that there's any way anything can be granted which effectively says someone is above the law - and in any case surely they've still got a duty to protect everyone else. If that's their excuse then they're asking for some pretty awkward questions when someone does get hurt.