31.5 vs. 32mm gauge

Wotan

Surely it's down to the quality of the modelling rather that obsessing with correct gauge. For example there are some fantastic layouts in OO gauge.

I don't see what all the fuss is about..

Rob.

With respect, I suggest that you either haven't fully followed the thread or perhaps understood the discussion. That there are fantastic layouts in your opinion in OO gauge is of no consequence when this discussion relates to the sloppy tolerances that exist in O gauge. 

Dave

With respect, I suggest that you either haven't fully followed the thread or perhaps understood the discussion. That there are fantastic layouts in your opinion in OO gauge is of no consequence when this discussion relates to the sloppy tolerances that exist in O gauge. 

Dave

OO gauge track gives some pretty sloppy tolerances when used in 7mm scale. You can run finescale O gauge wheels through Peco code 100 points! I'm just planning a quickie O-16.5 layout using it, before I start my O-MF layout.

Surely it's down to the quality of the modelling rather that obsessing with correct gauge. For example there are some fantastic layouts in OO gauge.

Rob.

So why is it wrong to have quality modelling with a superior running track. Just be 32mm gauge has been around for a long time and not kept up with the improvements with wheels does not make it the only way to go. We all have our own ideas on what way we want to model. But to me using the best track gauge for the wheels is the right way. Edited by N15class

• RMweb Gold

Surely it's down to the quality of the modelling rather that obsessing with correct gauge.

Unfortunately there is no quality of modelling which can cause a wheel to hang unsupported in fresh air. Which is what happens if you use flangeway gaps wider than the wheels require.

Despite the title, this topic isn't really about the track gauge, it's about flangeway gaps. The track gauge reduces automatically if you reduce the flangeway gap and maintain the check gauge for existing wheels. I agree that modellers tend to obsess about the track gauge to the exclusion of more important factors.

Martin.

Rob.

The fuss is about having a track gauge that works well with the wheelsets, resulting in good running. Precisely what the track gauge is is of rather less importance so long is it is not grossly out. The Mark 1 eyeball can't distinguish the difference, when standing looking at a layout, between 31.5, 32 or 33mm gauge simply because the proportional errors are very small. To a greater extent, what is perceptible is the reduction in the flangeways because the proportional change is much greater. The difference between 00 and EM/P4 is greater, but what often gives the game away there is the proprtionately greater length of the sleeper outside the rails,although the use of Peco track is often also a dead giveaway for 00 gauge.

Jim

Fortunately, all these details, such as the advent of using 31.5mm and so many other things (leaving aside for the moment the excellent S7) all serve to generally raise the bar with modelling, giving us more options and choice, enabling us to improve both our modelling and our skills. Whether we choose to go down particular roads is obviously a matter of individual choice, with no 'right or wrongs..... I very much like the benefits of 31.5mm, and see no down-sides, as I make my own paintwork- but there is no fuss to be had here!

Over the years realism has improved enormously in all areas, due to constant small improvements and innovations here there and everywhere. Thank Heavens.

• Like 2