Longmoor Military Railway 2-8-0 79250 'Major-General McMullen' 32-250A

Paul.Uni

I just noticed that there is a new image of the model on the Bachmann website. It is currently due Nov/Dec.

http://Bachmann.co.uk/image_box.php?image=images1/branchline/32-250A.jpg&cat_no=32-250A&info=0&width=800&height=251

Thanks. A bit of me thinks that this livery is a bit garish but I know I shan’t be able to resist it. A good move on Bachmann’s part to bring it out when there’s so much interest in Army models. It should sell well; a bit of a missus pleaser (assuming a reasonable missus!)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have one too. Re the colour I’ve looked in Vol 3 of The Longmoor Military Railway- a new history, and there doesn’t seem to have ever been as standard shade of Longmoor Blue or green, which makes the fact that my 08, S100, DJM austerity, Hornby Austerities, Bachmann Sir Guy and 79250, and Mk 1 suburban are all slightly different shades even more accurate!

• Like 1

I have one too. Re the colour I’ve looked in Vol 3 of The Longmoor Military Railway- a new history, and there doesn’t seem to have ever been as standard shade of Longmoor Blue or green, which makes the fact that my 08, S100, DJM austerity, Hornby Austerities, Bachmann Sir Guy and 79250, and Mk 1 suburban are all slightly different shades even more accurate!

My information is that Major White who was Officer i/c Paint Shop from 1962-4 noted that the blue paint, at that time Oxford Blue, had a tendency to fade. He conducted an experiment with various makes of paint by painting sample sheets of steel and leaving them on the roof of the paint shop for some months. The one that survived best was Dulux and this was used in future. However, I assume it was not totally immune to fading.

I would expect Sir Guy, the 08, WD156, WD196 and the Mk 1 suburbans to have received the same paint. WD157 could have been in the same blue, depending on date. 79250 and S100 were much earlier, both having been withdrawn in 1957/8.

It is therefore perfectly reasonable that all models are different shades but they all represent different dates between 1948 and 1969 with very limited overlap. For example, I believe only WD156, WD196 and the 08 could have hauled the blue Mk 1 suburbans. The only solution is to invoke Rule 1.

Tony 

• Like 2