A forum area specifically and only for recording ideas and progress of individual's challenge entries in accordance with the challenge.

Newbridge Engineering

Hi Gordon,

Some lovely work going on here, great start to the layout. There may have been a very slight setback but you have clearly addressed it and overcome it which must be rewarding. The handbuilt track looks superb.

The Tim Horn baseboard also sets everything off very well. Would you recommend them? I presume it is simply a case of using wood glue to put it together. Looks like a high quality product and excellent value for money too.

Cheers,

David

Hi Gordon,

Some lovely work going on here, great start to the layout. There may have been a very slight setback but you have clearly addressed it and overcome it which must be rewarding. The handbuilt track looks superb.

The Tim Horn baseboard also sets everything off very well. Would you recommend them? I presume it is simply a case of using wood glue to put it together. Looks like a high quality product and excellent value for money too.

Cheers,

David

Hi David,

Thank you for the kind comments.

Yes I do recommend Tim Horn's baseboards.

He does not attend many shows so it is worth a telephone call to him.

I also have a two foot board, not yet built to act as the off scene area.

Also what is not shown is the facia that the baseboard came with to hide all those nice joints.

The facia is cut out of thinner ply.

Gordon

Hi David,

Thank you for the kind comments.

Yes I do recommend Tim Horn's baseboards.

He does not attend many shows so it is worth a telephone call to him.

I also have a two foot board, not yet built to act as the off scene area.

Also what is not shown is the facia that the baseboard came with to hide all those nice joints.

The facia is cut out of thinner ply.

Gordon

Thanks Gordon that's really useful. I will have a proper look at his website and give Tim a ring.

David

• 5 months later...

This project has not died, just given me some head scratching, plus other areas of interest getting in the way.

This is a picture from yesterday afternoon.

How many track gauges do you need?

post-7071-0-51287400-1546687735_thumb.jpg

I am adding the continuos check rails to the first point.

I have also started building the small fiddle yard from a Tim Horn kit.

This has stopped because I decided I wanted a full inner end to this board so I can fit some stock shelves to the back board.

Gordon A

• Like 3

Hi Gordon, I like it.  How are you going to finish off fitting chairs to the wing rails?  I see you have used thin copperclad 'pads' for securing the wing rails and vee to gauge but are you intending to cut them flush with the sides of the rails eventually?  And how?

Edited by 5050

Hi Paul,

I am planning on "cheating" by claiming the track over the bridge was infilled with concrete during the second world war to give the factory an alternative road access.

I have had a pig of a job threading two lengths of rail into check rail chairs for any distance longer than nine inches.

This is the first time I have tried, so I ended up cheating with copper clad pads.

I have also come slightly unstuck with my preferred operating wire droppers from the inside of the point blades.

The droppers hit on continuous check rails stopping them throwing properly.

So spent today down the club carefully removing two sections of continuous check rails and the point blades.

I have soldered the wire droppers to the underside of the point blades.

Reassembly will hopefully be on Monday night.

Just one other point to modify.

Life is just one long learning curve when you try something different!

Gordon A

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 months later...

At last the final piece of rail has been soldered in place.

IMG_20190412_140552.jpg.172e2c381baff7ca72f31b627b11c02d.jpg

Now working on another headache of my own making. For some reason I decided to add two layers of 3mm cork on top of the baseboard. The result is that the electro magnets do  not  poke through far enough up through the track bed to operate the AJ couplings. I have removed the requisite amount of plywood for two magnets by hand chisel. Not enough room for a mini router so have carefully chiselled out two areas, two more to go.

Edited by Gordon A
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 6 months later...

I am still plodding on with Newbridge Engineering.

As a visual check a 57xx pannier plus three wagons in the headshunt. A tight fit.

IMG_20191014_211821A.jpg.f488f179b11c038f8c07f7ddc4013ab8.jpg

The difference in length between the 57XX pannier and the 0-6-0 B2 Peckett.

IMG_20191014_212152A.jpg.74900ee5b64ba1de7f0176384519e65f.jpg

And a shot with the B2 Peckett on the same train.

IMG_20191014_212220A.jpg.4e8bc7f2f672c8c6724306d88f180753.jpg

Now a second attempt at building the gates to go between the pillars.

Gordon A

• Like 2

Looking good Gordon, Inglenooks can be fascinating, both to look at and operate. I started one a while back:  https://www.scalefour.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=101&t=3745&hilit=an+inglenook+in+P4

which is about half finished, and would probably remain that way except I was collared at Scaleforum by a certain Challis, C. and before I realised the trap was laid, it had been booked for Railwells next year...…..

Suppose I'll have to get the wretched thing finished now! 

Perhaps we should have an Inglenook feature at one of the finescale shows??

Steve

• Like 4