database of modelled locations, period and scale

Hi,

I've been trying to find a list / register / database of UK stations  / goods facilities that have been modelled, ideally the list would include details of the modeller(s), the period modelled and the gauge. I'm a member of PFMRS in Brierfiield and we are currently considering a new club layout and face that timeless question ....' which location to model?'

A decision to model 00 gauge  and 1995 or thereabout has been made in order to run stock already owned by club members ... 

i suppose a list of stations / goods facilities that haven't been modelled wouldn't go amiss as that really is the question .. what hasn't been modelled.

Does such a list exist ?

regards

Andy

Hi,

I've been trying to find a list / register / database of UK stations  / goods facilities that have been modelled, ideally the list would include details of the modeller(s), the period modelled and the gauge. I'm a member of PFMRS in Brierfiield and we are currently considering a new club layout and face that timeless question ....' which location to model?'

A decision to model 00 gauge  and 1995 or thereabout has been made in order to run stock already owned by club members ... 

i suppose a list of stations / goods facilities that haven't been modelled wouldn't go amiss as that really is the question .. what hasn't been modelled.

Does such a list exist ?

regards

Andy

Andy,

I've been in the hobby decades and I've never come across a comphrehensive list of layouts of real locations modelled or for that matter just exhibition layouts. The problem is that good layouts based on real locations are likely to only be well known if they are on the exhibition circuit, or at least featured in Model Railway magazines. The next problem is that exhibition layouts are often only around for 5-10 years, depending on the demand, before they get replaced.    

I would have thought your Club Secretary David Carter, would be a good starting point. As your club appears to have seven layouts for exhibition and must therefore have some idea of what is available from other clubs in your area, this will at least tell you what you are up against, and what not to model!

If its a suitable location to model, I wouldn't worry about what anyone else has made, unless they are the next club just down the road. But I would ask your group what it is each wants, which might narrow the field or throw it wide open. You have already stated your preference is 1995, which is the end of BR. Next question is how much space is available, as this may limit what is practical. i.e if you want to model Basingstoke (a 4 track mainline with three goods yards and a loco shed) as I am doing, you need 60ft of length just to model the immediate station and its environs. But then if you wanted to model Ashburton (a nice little GWR branch terminus) you could probably get it into 20ft or so !  You also mentioned the stock some members already have. Does this factor place a potential layout in a specific region of Britain, which will narrow the field somewhat. Once you determine the area or region preferred, you then start examining railway system maps for the area to see if anything suitable is revealed. The next step is then to get photos or go and do a recce of the place to see if the scenery and facilities can easily be modelled. No use picking somewhere in a gorge for example as this would limit public viewing somewhat !     

Edited by 71000

Hi, thank you for your suggestions and the advice given.

The group has worked through the 'wants list' (jury is still out), I was thinking that the 'layout list' might be another resource to use as part of the decision making process. And, if someone has already modelled location 'x' - they might be yet another resource for info re the elusive details of that location.

regards

Andy

Devils Advocate hat on.

Does it really matter?

A the end of the day you want to model something that inspires the majority of the members to be involved with it, would be my thought!

A place where at least someone in the group can get resources for. Building plans/photo's etc.

No matter what you model....there will always be an interpretation on it in one way or another!

Khris

Hello Pete, thanks for the interest. We might start a new post in the 'layouts' forum once we've got our thoughts together.

Hello Kris, you're spot on, inspiring members to be involved is a primary goal.

regards

Andy

I can see great value in a database so two layouts are not inadvertently given the same name, but a list of modeled locations is potentially less useful.

The availability of stock, the preferred timescale, before the wholesale track rationalisations of the 60s 70s or even before or after the WW2 increase in facilities after are probably the most important drivers in a choice of locations to model.

Actually visiting a location to be modeled is not a bad idea, there was an exhibition layout called "Fossebridge" at one time which was Ok unless you know Fossebridge, Its actually in a deep twisting valley. 1 in 6 hills each side.  The full size railway was never built, but the model simply could not have existed, the curves were too gentle!   Actually it is a fantastic place to model as a what might have been with post grouping the GWR (or maybe LMS) Cheltenham -Oxford trains passing the very close to the old hotel, crossing the Foss way on a level crossing at the bottom of a 1 in 6 hill and curving sharply to follow the Coln Valley.

The way the hobby is evolving is Layouts being made as replicas of other layouts, and maybe a data base would encourage this.  I have some 1950s magazines and the layouts then had tremendous operating potential and the owners describe their operation, whereas 2017 exhibition layouts simply seem to look good...... Until something moves and spoils the illusion.