3D printed buildings - almost rtp

Every so often I need a change of scenary(no pun intented), so I thought I would go back to my 3D printed building modules. I had done some tests on building these up to create what are almost r2p buildings. Low relief only, as they waste less space than complete buildings. Starting with my terraced houses, I plan to do some semi detached buildings, houses and shops. Also plan to include some warehouse modules.

Aim is to have (almost) r2p low relief buildings in 4mm, 3.5mm and 2mm scales. If it works I may extend range into 3mm/ft. Unlike the r2p buildings available elsewhere, these will need painting and glazing, not a difficult job.Embossed names can be included on shops(except the 2mm/ft ones which are too small). They will also be a lot lighter weight than resin r2p buildings, which should help with layout building, especially portable ones.

This is sort of thing I am thinking of

Freds-luxury-cars-building1.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 5

Loving your buildings. Very admirable.

Got nothing useful to say other than it looks flawless.

I have seen some of your WSF prints and the texture I think works well. The bulk can always have a wee smooth if desired.

Never a problem with WSF for buildings. Have also noticed print quality has got better, or I have just been lucky. Does not take much effort to smooth down anyway.

Aim is to use my already designed modular parts. Not cheap for 4mm scale(but worth it ), but for HO and N it is not too bad. Hope to do TT eventually, but there are a lot of indivdual components to modify. Just changing the sash window affects over 100 modules in 4mm scale. I just found a small fault, whilst doing latest design, and it took more than a day to update all items using that part. Once fixed it should not be a problem(fingers crossed). In

theory  if someone wants a desig with a diferent shop name I can do i. N gauge is too small for embossed shop names though.

I would like to do different brick bonds, but computer tends to find them hard work. If I do, it will only be for complete buildings, not modules.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

It's something I'd like to try one day. Still got a bunch of locomotives I want to design yet a change on the horizon seems good.

Keep up the good work.

Stone buildings next? Might be easier on the tolerances.

Look at my website, I have stone, brick and rendered surfaces. It was originally only meant to be a small project, but it soon can get out of control. Going back to it makes a nice change to designing new locos and railcars. Again it is only when you start that you realise hiw many variations there can be with some railway models. Just about to make my BR cl120 live, and there are 6 designs in 3 different scales.

For r2p buildings, I have noticed manufacturers start with only a handful. The new Oxford range is a good example, so I may just do a small selection, especially as they will be in 3 different scales. At some point I need to extend buildings into 3mm/ft and locos/railcars etc into N scale. That will mean 4 different scales across the standard railway range.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

That's cool.

I've only just started to re-scale my current range, so far done one N re-scale and a couple to 7mm.

Makes sense as everyone potentially can be happy then.

Morter courses in buildings going too small I can imagine might be a mush issue though.

Morter not a problem on 4mm and 3.5mm scales(although problably stightly underscale bricks), but like plastic 2mm scale brick sheets, the bricks are even more undescale, otherwise morter does not show. It is all a case of judging what looks right. Would be same on laser cut bricks.

Resizing can be a bind, but if you have a system on doing it, it is not too bad. For me it is relatively easy between OO,HO and TT but N requires more work.

• Like 1

Was looking through latest copy of RM(Sept), which has my new advert, and spotted advert for Timber Tracks. As they have a GWR coaling stage in their range, I thought I would check it up, and when I saw the price,I wondered if it might be a good idea to have another look at my own 3D printed version. Spent yesterday going through design, even started on resizing down to HO, but got the 4mm scale version up to state where it was worthwhile uploading.

gwr-coaling-stage1.jpg

Originally my old computer would not put it together in ne piece, and I think the file size was an issue, but it is reasonably under the maximum, and I am looking at adding the steps one end and ladder on the other. Imight also see if I can do a corrugated roof to water tank, as Didcot has one. Alo could be done as variant with end door and window etc swapped around.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

For your shops, could you do a module which is just the upper floor & roof, with separate modules of different shop fronts to fit underneath ?  Often a row of shops has the same upper floor features, but over the years the various shop owners have changed the windows, door ways, etc.

Also for a terrace of shops, there would be no need to emboss the side walls.

Stu

For your shops, could you do a module which is just the upper floor & roof, with separate modules of different shop fronts to fit underneath ?  Often a row of shops has the same upper floor features, but over the years the various shop owners have changed the windows, door ways, etc.

Also for a terrace of shops, there would be no need to emboss the side walls.

Stu

I have a whole set of modules, ground, middle and roof, with and without ends. on my website. What I am trying now is to create something using them to build more complete models. Some want modules, some want complete. Given the number of r2p resin buildings around , there are a lot of people who are happy to buy them. I am just trying something in the middle.

• Like 1

I was randomly looking through some theads here, and came across one about West Moors station(Ringwood line), and its interesting concrete footbidge. As I also have the newly published book by Irwell Press on Southern Nouveau, I had also seen photos in the book. I thought is would make a nice simple elegant design, different to the modular structures better known. Considering it dats from start of the centur, I fund it has more of a look of 1930s Art Deco, and would not be out of place amonst Art Deco buildings.

Did a 3D design, here

lswr-footbridge.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

just relesed the GWR coaling stage. It is a very complex design, and caused problems last year on my old computer. New computer faired better and I managed to complete it so it is one section, that fits over the raised track.

https://www.shapeways.com/product/CHFNJPUS3/z-76-gwr-coal-stage-plus-1

I kept messing with the side steps, and do have a vrsion without them. Every actual coal stage had slightly different steps, so it is a generalisation.

• 8 months later...

Doing some work on my terraced rows of houses and shops. Moving the modular option back a bit and offering complete houses and shops, initially in 4mm/ft scale, brick(Flemish bond).

Can be joined(will need to remove end edge of tiles). Shop names can be added. Had hoped to use the Shapeways option, but it is quite difficult to set up initially, and as far as I can tell, limited to one font, and one size on design.

The brickwork design has been simplified(from design point of view), hopefully giving a better effect, which is easier to modify.

I plan to use these new designs to extend into warehouses and taller street buildings.

Will certainly do HO, possibly TT3, not sure about N, but probable. Given success at resizing shop part up to O and bigger, nmay consider bigger scales as well.

• Like 1

Certainly something I have thought about. I think that I actually mde a mistake going for the full modular design , as it took up far more time to develop, and sort out problems, and is why I am now redesigning some models and only offering them as complete items, which can be either used individualy or used with other models. Only when I have finished sorting out the current designs will I feel I can move onto new designs. Of course, it you don't want the rear extensions to the house, the the front can easily be used as a back.

• 1 month later...

After all those Met coaches, I needed to do something different. Something classic, so have done the GWR pagoda station building. Simple version based on GWR drawins. There were so mant variants on it so stuck with the basic. Granted it is possible to get in several scales already, so I have done it in the less common ones(but included the common ones just in case ).

I plan to do a small LBSCR signal box next, something like the one at Isfileld on the Lavender line.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold

After all those Met coaches, I needed to do something different. Something classic, so have done the GWR pagoda station building. Simple version based on GWR drawins. There were so mant variants on it so stuck with the basic. Granted it is possible to get in several scales already, so I have done it in the less common ones(but included the common ones just in case ).

I plan to do a small LBSCR signal box next, something like the one at Isfileld on the Lavender line.

That could prove very useful in 4mm.  The Metropolitan District Railway had some similar boxes eg Boston Manor

bostonmanor1.jpg

There was a company ABM Railcraft that started doing these in card.  I didn't buy one when I could, as I was nowhere near ready to construct it.  By the time I tried to purchase, sadly the guy in charge was very ill and closed down - he doesn't appear to have sold the deign to anyone else.

I currently have a bodged LNWR cabin (my line is a 'might have been' Metropolitan/LNWR Joint) but this could prove to be even more 'realistic' (bearing in mind the line is totally ficticious!)

• Like 1

I am almost there with the signalbox. As expected bricks are not to my computer's liking, slowing it dowmn, but as long as I am patient(?) I can get there. Should have made designmore modular,but stillshould be able to mosify , I hope.

Does not surprise me other companies had simlar boxes, as it is an S &F top, and base has to fit(one reason why brick bond is more complex). It is half a brick too long to fit either Flemish or English bonds properly. Just adds to the fun.

lbscr-signal-box-1a.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 2

I am almost there with the signalbox. As expected bricks are not to my computer's liking, slowing it dowmn, but as long as I am patient(?) I can get there. Should have made designmore modular,but stillshould be able to mosify , I hope.

Does not surprise me other companies had simlar boxes, as it is an S &F top, and base has to fit(one reason why brick bond is more complex). It is half a brick too long to fit either Flemish or English bonds properly. Just adds to the fun.

lbscr-signal-box-1a.jpg

I’m not familiar with Shapeways. Would an option be available with the door and stair on the other end of the cabin, Simon? I have my eye on a prototype Caley station - a kit or complete model of the signalbox, which I could modify, would save me a lot of time.

Marlyn

I can alter design to have different versions. Door one end or other, or set at back of side wall. Big chimney at back or not. Windows at back or not. Different window in base. Staicase can be next to wall or at right angles. Even corner/ridge tiles on roof varies, and of course brick bond. Base can be lower as well. InitiallyI just want to get this one finished.

I think all the signal boxes of this type are built on a 15ft by 10ft 6in base(plus a 4 row foundation base slightly bigger).  Unfortunately neither length divides up into Flemish or Engish bond muliples.

No interior though. That can be fitted by the modeller from underneath, or build interior on layout and fit signal box on to it.

It is brickwork that takes the time(not effort, but actually computer time).

I had not realised how common this design was, found on many railways. Surprising no manufacturer has not done one yet.

I have had to do some caculated guesswork, based on counting bricks, but I think overall it looks the part.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

I can alter design to have different versions. Door one end or other, or set at back of side wall. Big chimney at back or not. Windows at back or not. Different window in base. Staicase can be next to wall or at right angles. Even corner/ridge tiles on roof varies, and of course brick bond. Base can be lower as well. InitiallyI just want to get this one finished.

I think all the signal boxes of this type are built on a 15ft by 10ft 6in base(plus a 4 row foundation base slightly bigger).  Unfortunately neither length divides up into Flemish or Engish bond muliples.

No interior though. That can be fitted by the modeller from underneath, or build interior on layout and fit signal box on to it.

It is brickwork that takes the time(not effort, but actually computer time).

I had not realised how common this design was, found on many railways. Surprising no manufacturer has not done one yet.

I have had to do some caculated guesswork, based on counting bricks, but I think overall it looks the part.

This type of box has been classifed by the Signalling Study Group as Saxby & Farmer Type 5, which appeared, on the LBSCR at least, as a completely brick-built type, brickwork to the underside of a timber upper storey or an entirely wooden structure. In the Signalling Record Society's Signal Box Register of the Southern Railways, they have identified 206 examples, with building dates from 1876 - 1898, so there would have been some variation in details through that long period.

To keep numbers down I went through the LBSC section only, and only listed out the competely brick-built examples, as per Isfield, which, thankfully, kept the numbers down to around 75. Just within that sample there were 30 different lengths, ranging from 12 feet to a mighty 112 feet, 16 different widths, from 9 feet to 26' 3", and 29 different heights to the operating floor level, 3' 9" to 21' 6"!

Sorting these entries by their dimensions came up with some interesting results, with, fundamentally, no two boxes being exactly the same size, except for a batch 16' long, 12' wide and 7' to floor level, although there are six similar in footprint to Isfield, but differing in height, as this extract of the smaller boxes shows.

post-189-0-21553100-1530615806.jpg

Attached is also a complete listing of the 75 boxes that I used, for completeness.

lbsc signal boxes SF5 type.pdf

It is the small version that interests me most. Possibly the most useful for modellers. On the few I have seen photos of there are a lot of 15ft long ones(internally 13ft 6in).

When it comes to way bricks were laid, I suspect no 2 were the same, and depended on how the brick layer felt on the day.

Here is the right hand door version Ihave done. I plan to release both tof these ASAP , then start on other scales. It is not a complete mirror, just swapped ends, brick work along front is not symetrical.

Now that I have split design up into base and top it iseasier(less difficult!) to work on changes.

lbscr-signal-box-rh-1a.jpg

• Like 3

Ah could you do a modified version the same as Grange road that will also do for Distant  Rowfant. I did have an ABM one but it got destroyed and need two for the above stations.

Keith

Edit due to Tablet auto correcting Rowfant to Distant.

Edited by KeithHC

Is the Grange Road one 10ft 6in wide or 11ft. I now have both sizes.

Changed first design, and now door looks more in proportion.

I could not get onto that signal society website. Got an error - server not found. Hopefuly only temporary.

Edited by rue_d_etropal