Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

3D printed buildings - almost rtp

3d r2p buildings

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • LocationLancashire and sometimes France

Posted 31 July 2017 - 21:09

Every so often I need a change of scenary(no pun intented), so I thought I would go back to my 3D printed building modules. I had done some tests on building these up to create what are almost r2p buildings. Low relief only, as they waste less space than complete buildings. Starting with my terraced houses, I plan to do some semi detached buildings, houses and shops. Also plan to include some warehouse modules.

Aim is to have (almost) r2p low relief buildings in 4mm, 3.5mm and 2mm scales. If it works I may extend range into 3mm/ft. Unlike the r2p buildings available elsewhere, these will need painting and glazing, not a difficult job.Embossed names can be included on shops(except the 2mm/ft ones which are too small). They will also be a lot lighter weight than resin r2p buildings, which should help with layout building, especially portable ones.

This is sort of thing I am thinking of

Freds-luxury-cars-building1.jpg

Edited by rue_d_etropal, 01 August 2017 - 19:51 .

• Like x 3
  • Craftsmanship/Clever x 1

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#2 Knuckles

Knuckles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNuneaton

Posted 03 August 2017 - 20:45

Loving your buildings. Very admirable.

Got nothing useful to say other than it looks flawless.

I have seen some of your WSF prints and the texture I think works well. The bulk can always have a wee smooth if desired.

#3 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 23:29

Never a problem with WSF for buildings. Have also noticed print quality has got better, or I have just been lucky. Does not take much effort to smooth down anyway.

Aim is to use my already designed modular parts. Not cheap for 4mm scale(but worth it ), but for HO and N it is not too bad. Hope to do TT eventually, but there are a lot of indivdual components to modify. Just changing the sash window affects over 100 modules in 4mm scale. I just found a small fault, whilst doing latest design, and it took more than a day to update all items using that part. Once fixed it should not be a problem(fingers crossed). In

theory  if someone wants a desig with a diferent shop name I can do i. N gauge is too small for embossed shop names though.

I would like to do different brick bonds, but computer tends to find them hard work. If I do, it will only be for complete buildings, not modules.

Edited by rue_d_etropal, 03 August 2017 - 23:31 .

• Like x 1

#4 Knuckles

Knuckles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNuneaton

Posted 03 August 2017 - 23:40

It's something I'd like to try one day. Still got a bunch of locomotives I want to design yet a change on the horizon seems good.

Keep up the good work.

Stone buildings next? Might be easier on the tolerances.

#5 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:18

Look at my website, I have stone, brick and rendered surfaces. It was originally only meant to be a small project, but it soon can get out of control. Going back to it makes a nice change to designing new locos and railcars. Again it is only when you start that you realise hiw many variations there can be with some railway models. Just about to make my BR cl120 live, and there are 6 designs in 3 different scales.

For r2p buildings, I have noticed manufacturers start with only a handful. The new Oxford range is a good example, so I may just do a small selection, especially as they will be in 3 different scales. At some point I need to extend buildings into 3mm/ft and locos/railcars etc into N scale. That will mean 4 different scales across the standard railway range.

Edited by rue_d_etropal, 04 August 2017 - 09:21 .

• Like x 2

#6 Knuckles

Knuckles

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • LocationNuneaton

Posted 04 August 2017 - 13:05

That's cool.

I've only just started to re-scale my current range, so far done one N re-scale and a couple to 7mm.
Makes sense as everyone potentially can be happy then.

Morter courses in buildings going too small I can imagine might be a mush issue though.

#7 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 16:57

Morter not a problem on 4mm and 3.5mm scales(although problably stightly underscale bricks), but like plastic 2mm scale brick sheets, the bricks are even more undescale, otherwise morter does not show. It is all a case of judging what looks right. Would be same on laser cut bricks.

Resizing can be a bind, but if you have a system on doing it, it is not too bad. For me it is relatively easy between OO,HO and TT but N requires more work.

• Like x 1

#8 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:00

Was looking through latest copy of RM(Sept), which has my new advert, and spotted advert for Timber Tracks. As they have a GWR coaling stage in their range, I thought I would check it up, and when I saw the price,I wondered if it might be a good idea to have another look at my own 3D printed version. Spent yesterday going through design, even started on resizing down to HO, but got the 4mm scale version up to state where it was worthwhile uploading.

gwr-coaling-stage1.jpg

Originally my old computer would not put it together in ne piece, and I think the file size was an issue, but it is reasonably under the maximum, and I am looking at adding the steps one end and ladder on the other. Imight also see if I can do a corrugated roof to water tank, as Didcot has one. Alo could be done as variant with end door and window etc swapped around.

• Like x 1

#9 Stubby47

Stubby47

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,134 posts
  • LocationA Welsh exile in Kernow

Posted 08 August 2017 - 10:22

For your shops, could you do a module which is just the upper floor & roof, with separate modules of different shop fronts to fit underneath ?  Often a row of shops has the same upper floor features, but over the years the various shop owners have changed the windows, door ways, etc.

Also for a terrace of shops, there would be no need to emboss the side walls.

Stu

#10 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 08 August 2017 - 20:55

For your shops, could you do a module which is just the upper floor & roof, with separate modules of different shop fronts to fit underneath ?  Often a row of shops has the same upper floor features, but over the years the various shop owners have changed the windows, door ways, etc.

Also for a terrace of shops, there would be no need to emboss the side walls.

Stu

I have a whole set of modules, ground, middle and roof, with and without ends. on my website. What I am trying now is to create something using them to build more complete models. Some want modules, some want complete. Given the number of r2p resin buildings around , there are a lot of people who are happy to buy them. I am just trying something in the middle.

• Like x 1

#11 rue_d_etropal

rue_d_etropal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,701 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 16:26

I was randomly looking through some theads here, and came across one about West Moors station(Ringwood line), and its interesting concrete footbidge. As I also have the newly published book by Irwell Press on Southern Nouveau, I had also seen photos in the book. I thought is would make a nice simple elegant design, different to the modular structures better known. Considering it dats from start of the centur, I fund it has more of a look of 1930s Art Deco, and would not be out of place amonst Art Deco buildings.

Did a 3D design, here

lswr-footbridge.jpg

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 3d, r2p, buildings