Digital subscription problems

dibber25

I had a subscription for paper based magazine ( yes Model Rail ) but after numerous issues with non aperance of issues. I cancelled. Thought I would give it another go this time with digital issues.

Let's see what happens shall we .

Looks to me that the new App has been released without being fully tested or are we being used as the testers which if so is not doing much good for brand name !

I've switched to using the PocketMags app. Much more reliable than Bauer in my (personal) experience. Great support response too. I can, if I choose get Model Rail, BRM, and Hornby from the same place. Prices are very similar, sometimes less sometimes more, but not by much.

Hilux and johnd, that's not the case. I have pm'd spiraxis and asked him to let me have his e-mail address. I've not yet had a reply. To anyone else who has a problem using the new app, there is a fix, but in order to get it done, I need you to pm me with your e-mail address. Blanket complaints on RMweb will not help - I can and do pass on those complaints word for word - but our people can't identify who you are so they can't help. I understand that the problem is with iPad2 and some older android equipment and that the cure is to switch your subscription to another platform (none of which means much to me as I'm not technically minded).

I should add that contact with me needs to be by PM as I can pick those up at home or work. I'm only in the office three days a week so if you e-mail the address in the magazine, you may be waiting a while for a response. (CJL)

Edited by dibber25

It does appear that the cart is pulling the horse.

It should not be necessary for any publisher to have to keep changing their software to keep up with latest hardware. This used to be the case with other web based softwaware, but now it is(or should be) fully compatible with all platforms. It is the responsibility of the people developing new platforms to ensure they are compatible, in particular backwards.

Media organisations such as the one which owns Model Rail, should be capable of getting heads knocked together. Otherwise this type of problem is going to get worse.

• 2 weeks later...

Seriously, Bauer's digital media support is beyond disgusting. Three attempts to contact them has not even been acknowledged by a simple response. If that's the way they want to do business they will never get a penny from me again. They are not the only company in town.

I am very happy with BRM and Hornby magazine through Pocketmags and they will continue to get my support in the future.

I have two devices, a phone and a tablet, from different vendors running different versions of Android, and they are both unusable with the Bauer app.

The apps from Pocketmags, Zinio, Kindle and VGBahn work fine, so why does Bauer have so many problems?

Must take this chance to thank Dibber25, after his intervention from my reply on this thread the problem has been solved by the supplier of the mag being transferred to Pocket Mags.  It appears that the ipad I am using is to old for the supply (of the magazine) platform.

Thanks again Dibber 25.

Must take this chance to thank Dibber25, after his intervention from my reply on this thread the problem has been solved by the supplier of the mag being transferred to Pocket Mags.  It appears that the ipad I am using is to old for the supply (of the magazine) platform.

Thanks again Dibber 25.

Chris (Dibber 25) did send them a request on my behalf, But I have not heard anything from them.

I'll try contacting them for the FOURTH time.

Chris (Dibber 25) did send them a request on my behalf, But I have not heard anything from them.

I'll try contacting them for the FOURTH time.

i'm happy to assist anyone who is having problems contacting our digital support but I do need to have your e-mail contact details so that they can contact you direct. (CJL)

So here's an update on my follow-up to the complaints above:

The long and short of it is Bauer is ceasing support for the old iPad 2s, which are now some 5-6 years old, on our own apps. The complaints you’ve seen will have been from iPad 2 users.

Apple is also phasing out support for iPad 2s, from next month, when iOS11 drops.

Anyone on the forum having problems should email digitalmagazinesupport@bauermedia.co.uk where assistance will be offered. We aim to respond to all emails received within 24 hours. All subs will be honoured.

I will be happy to assist anyone who has further problems but please use the link first and then, if necessary, contact me by PM before going ballistic on this forum. (CJL)

Crumbs, 5 to 6 years doesn't seem long and then presumably to be expected to buy a new iPad . . . But I guess that's the problem with new technology - built-in obsolescence and disposable.

I've had my tablet for about that time but I'm glad my subscription is for a hard copy and I hope Bauer don't bale out of print on paper and stop supporting that. 

G.