Detailing the Airfix LMS 4F

• RMweb Gold

Make the 4F free rolling, and another loco 'in steam' can drag it dead, in this case to clear the shed and water crane access. Even on quite well modelled steam shed layouts, it is rare to see this sort of move, yet on large sheds especially it was not uncommon, as the shedmaster's team got the locos positioned in sequence for their next turn,  necessitated by 'previous events' which had disrupted arrivals on shed. (Line blockage, Turntable jammed, Coaler or ashpits unserviceable, derailment in yard, you name it; the hundred and one events that might disrupt the planned workflow.)

Nice idea - something different and its info like this that anyone under a certain wouldn't know about (me included).

I had also thought about using it as a banking loco and just couple it behind one of my larger ones, or putting it behind the other 4F. I have seen footage and photo's of this so not too hard to replicate!!

• Like 1

Ah, the Airfix 4F.

I have two of these, each slightly detailed. They are, mechanically, exactly as they were made oh, over thirty years ago!!! I have not had running problems with the mechs other than having to check the pickups.

Your detailing job is very nice! Like other posters, I had never noticed the splashers until now!

Oh !! Yet another rtr detailing job to go with everything else!

You have done proper modelling on something a lot of people on this forum wouldn't consider and completely rejuvenated it.

Keep up the good work,

Chris.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Ah, the Airfix 4F.

I have two of these, each slightly detailed. They are, mechanically, exactly as they were made oh, over thirty years ago!!! I have not had running problems with the mechs other than having to check the pickups.

Your detailing job is very nice! Like other posters, I had never noticed the splashers until now!

Oh ######!! Yet another rtr detailing job to go with everything else!

You have done proper modelling on something a lot of people on this forum wouldn't consider and completely rejuvenated it.

Keep up the good work,

Chris.

Thank you Chris - very kind words indeed!! Great fun doing it and lots of plans and ideas for the next 4F (lots to do before I get around to that one though).

4Fs,

I've just finished doing a rewiring job on a 4F made by the Great God Bachman!!!

Runs great now I've bypassed all the extra stuff associated with DCC!! 

I was sucked into EBay by the fact the loco was numbered as the Worth Valley's beast. Nice model and, for once I got it at a decent price!!

The irony over two thirty year models which have run faultlessly and a 'State of the Art' modern model which I've had to do a rewire job on was not lost on me!!!

The Bachmann model is georgeous though!

I converted ( to loco drive) my first 4F 30 years ago, over the following 15 years ended up with 12, 2 have been since sold on, and 6 others have been re-motored from Mashima to Mitsumi. Each carries a 'target number', and they run superbly, thank god all was done when the bits to do it were cheaper. :sungum:

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I haven't got as far as replacing motors, or understanding gearing etc yet!!! baby steps right now. I think the next logical step after playing around with the Airfix 4F's is to build a chassis and then a whole loco - who knows where it will end!!!