Springsbury Croft.'O' gauge 1977-'87 era depot.

Its been a while since my last post but the layout is still on track so to speak, and now that the long dark evenings are here i've made my first attempt at weathering up the class 40, and being my first attempt on a diesel in this scale there's still a lot to do it yet and i'm still learning as i go. I chose to base the loco' on my fave class 40 which was 40 015 and was a regular around this area of the N.W. especially near the end of its days.  The numbers are HMRS pressfix and the 'Aquitania' painted nameplates and data panel are from  Precision decals. I'm waiting for some Blue paint and some overhead warning decals to arrive soon. 

attachicon.gif2010-10-12 16.49.34.jpg

attachicon.gif2010-10-12 16.51.01.jpg

Nice work, VERY, realistic! Superb!  

Fab weathering on that 40 there! :) Thought it was the real thing....

Great idea re using paste tables, though I'd make absolutely sure there's plenty of bracing, and the bracing is screwed & glued firmly in place, as the hardboard surface is highly likely to warp when glues & paints are added...

Those screwfix tables look more sturdy - though I'd still brace them well, to prevent any warping....

Nice project this - looking forward to seeing how you get on, and I'd like to know whether big locos like the 40 can cope with the new Peco short radius points - so please keep us posted there too...

Also, as a kid in the 70's, I really really wanted a Chopper bike - they were the height of "cool" back then... mind you, so were snorkel jackets, and flares that didn't reach your ankles! ;)

PS. Nice Les Paul under the layout too - don't spill any superglue on that :O

..... said the bass player.....

Agreed about the paste table Marc, my sealed MDF one with metal legs is fine thus far though and it lives in the garage.

BTW - Choppers n flares dont go......ripped several pairs in the chain and ended up with me conkers hitting the gear lever [eyes water] a couple of times too!

Hopeful Santa will bring me a FS6 for my Roland!

Hijack over!

Kindest to all.

CME.

• Like 2

The old guitar is a Tanglewood copy and not a proper Gibson mores the pity, it was originally mine new about 30 years ago but i only ever achieved the three chord wonder status, but what little i could/can play i still really enjoy, and i'm a leg-end in my own bedroom  :jester:  i gifted it to a Nephew in the early '90's who never bothered with it at all, so it got handed back to my now eldest Daughter as a teenager who like wise did sod all with it! ... :no: So its now back stood gatherin' dust until the mood takes me :jester:

Many thanks for the high praise Marc, it really means a lot coming from superb modelers like yourself  :) The paste table has had plenty of extra support added and i'm thinking of putting an insulation type fibre board on the top to cut down the noise.   The Choppers were  deffo pants rippers back in the day, as i know from going flying head on into an ice-cream van aged about 10 when the fog wafters i had on got really caught up in the chain and chain-guard and for which i had many a rollockin' off mi Mam for ruining mi best keks :whistle:  Heres the Chopper finished and just wanting a gear knob, hopefully this will get me into the classic car and steam rallies/shows next summer. :biggrin_mini2:

post-31611-0-02347000-1511531289_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Because the space will soon be needed again in the spare bedroom  :rolleyes: as it will soon be occupied by our eldest whilst she returns home for a while due to new job commitments  :rolleyes: ...will we ever get shut of 'em? :mocking_mini:  I've had to shorten the layout to five feet long, but at the same time i've laid a new layer of 6mm thick ply on top to give me a firmer and leveler surface. Some recently given 'Free' off cuts of White UPVC guttering/barge boards have been used to form the ends, also the front and back, being made of a sandwiched lightweight foam it's ideal stuff and make's things a lot stiffer, stronger and neater. Prior to making a start on wall building, i've made a mold using car seam sealer and a sheet of bought in plastic card stone walling, which was impressed into the sealer whilst still soft but just skinned over. I'll use car filler to make all my own walls, tunnel portals etc from the mold which i will make thick enough so i can 'Dremal' out the mortar lines using a fine disc. The Loco's in my small but growing collection have had their first hand painted bit of weathering done, but hopefully they'll be finished to a much better standard once i invest in an air brush. ;) Progress maybe slow but i'm still moving on and i'm not abandoning this project in any way. :no:

post-31611-0-74336600-1516892494_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-82730300-1516892524_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-43353800-1516892550_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-47055900-1516892580_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-33319000-1516892607_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

A bit of progress recently in that i've been collecting a few bits and bobs from my local model shops over the last few weeks. Mostly it's second hand and bought for only a few pennies! The loco shed is a Peco '00' gauge battered effort which i'll fix & build up to suit 7mm gauge. The corrugated cladding is Wills which will make an office extension to the shed, the old '00' tanks will be chopped about to make oil/fuel storage and at ten bob each i've nowt to lose. The figures are i think are Slaters? They were sat on a station bench together and one was a Woman! But now with a Stanley blade and a bit more painting they are to be my diesel loco' drivers. :jester:

post-31611-0-81239400-1519734527_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-54200500-1519734562_thumb.jpg

A mock up of the shed using some 7mm embossed brick walling.

post-31611-0-09578600-1519734665_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 6

A bit of progress recently in that i've been collecting a few bits and bobs from my local model shops over the last few weeks. Mostly it's second hand and bought for only a few pennies! The loco shed is a Peco '00' gauge battered effort which i'll fix & build up to suit 7mm gauge. The corrugated cladding is Wills which will make an office extension to the shed, the old '00' tanks will be chopped about to make oil/fuel storage and at ten bob each i've nowt to lose. The figures are i think are Slaters? They were sat on a station bench together and one was a Woman! But now with a Stanley blade and a bit more painting they are to be my diesel loco' drivers. :jester:

attachicon.gif2011-01-15 19.11.47.jpg

attachicon.gif2011-01-15 19.18.48.jpg

A mock up of the shed using some 7mm embossed brick walling.

attachicon.gif2011-01-08 23.06.04.jpg

You have a great eye, coupled with ingenuity means some very realistic model making! Cracking stuff!

ATVB

CME

Thanks Chaps! As for a great eye CME then read always 'skint and looking for owt on the cheap' :D Nice to find out that the years of trawling through the bins & skips for stuff to use on my garden line has put me in good stead for the indoor stuff to!  :jester: I made a base for the storage tanks last eve' out of 5mm thick foam board, not sure whether to cover it in plastic brick card or printed paper yet?  It's loosely based on the one at Springs Branch depot. The tanks were given a scraping with the back of a 'Stanley' blade and a rub down with some wet & dry, the un-used and un-wanted ladders off my 08' shunter can be used to access the top of the tanks and i'll make a walkway with some plastic bits off a kids toy plastic fire engine. With plenty of snow out there and more predicted, i might just get a lot more done on this project this week and over weekend whilst stuck indoors. :)

post-31611-0-24034300-1519809302_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-15700100-1519809335_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

I decided to use the two pieces of Wills corrugated cladding to make the roof for the re-fueling point last night. Looks like i'll have to spend money on proper stuff to detail it up a bit later on.  :O  :jester:

post-31611-0-87484800-1519900845_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-61953800-1519900872_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-50112300-1519900918_thumb.jpg

• Like 10

I decided to try the brick papers and bought a pack of ready made 7ft tall scale walling and cappings from Model rail scenery off the web, i stuck them onto a short piece of ready made wall (pvc cladding off-cut) which i'm using to form a short fueling point module that i can put into place later. I then painted any White paper edges that were showing with diluted Humbrol matt Brown  No'173. This old photo of the fueling point at Springs Branch was the inspiration for the design of the canopy etc. Hopefully this pile of plastic stuff i'd been saving for years will help make a lot of the pipe/cable work etc. I do like the look of the paper brick work now and i will use it for the loco' shed base as well. Can anyone please help me in knowing and telling what the best stuff is to varnish and protect it all? 

post-31611-0-19923100-1520167571_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-81441100-1520167608_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-65454200-1520167641_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-50315400-1520167676_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-38444800-1520167714_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-71846600-1520167744_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 8

Another cold day stuck inside saw me at least get the fuel storage tanks brickwork and pump house done yesterday with the brick paper, all glued on using un-diluted PVA woodwork glue as i found diluting it soaked into the brick paper too much and made it too soggy and hard to handle. The cheapo plastic tanks and the old '00' Peco engine shed will be primed up today. :)

post-31611-0-78095300-1520247908_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-45756200-1520247938_thumb.jpg

• Like 7

Those brick papers look really good Owd Bob :)
Were they very thin? And were they the same brand / make as the brick walling kits you bought online?
I've seen a few 7mm wall kits on eBay and wondered as to how good they were - they certainly look good on the computer screen

Nice job on using those old OO tanks too. I've got a few OO odds and ends; similar tanks and the like, which can be used for "other purposes" in 7mm scale
Bit of rust on those tanks.... I can see it now

This is looking good sir :)

Thanks Marc :) It is actually the same brand and the very same brick walling paper i've used, luckily it was just high enough (a scale 7ft it says) to get it to an over-door height, the paper is a nice quality and is well printed and it's not as thin as you think until you wet it with diluted PVA, i found that out by trial and error as we usually do, so straight PVA was brushed onto the actual model building and the brick paper offered up to it. I would have downloaded the paper to print the bricks off myself, but the thought of having to buy some quality paper and the amount of ink swmbo says i would use stopped me :rolleyes:  So i bought two packs off E-bay and despite all the Snow of late it arrived two days after ordering. I'll use some more up and do the shed bases with it this week. As for the storage tanks Marc, i have to make the pipework and laddering up, then i need to find a satin Orange-y colour a bit like the tanks on this old pic'  :)  A colour i've not got or could even mix up at the mo' :derisive:

post-31611-0-93676400-1520266939_thumb.jpg

• Like 4

The shed and tanks were Grey primered yesterday and after a night in the airing cupboard, the shed was sprayed with Plasticote 'Chalk' Ultra Matt paint in this pale Magnolia colour, actually it's called 'Old Hessian' Not quite the shade/colour i'd hoped for but i'll work with it and once it's weathered i'm sure it'll be passable. 

post-31611-0-26559400-1520333874_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-38161900-1520333899_thumb.jpg

• Like 9

I made more progress last evening and got some detailing done on the fuel pumps using bits of sprue and over-sized brass looking taps which came off the '00' gauge 50p tanks i got last week. The laddering and fence was made from a strip of '0' gauge laddering(Jarvis made, i think!))  the fence was made by removing every other rung and turned on its side. I made a trip to my local model shop and found the shade of paint i liked for the storage tanks, it's Matt Humbrol No.63, although it's come out looking shiny and is still a bit sticky today. :umbrage: Hopefully another coat might remedy it.  A door and a window frame was made from cardboard for the storage tanks pump house. I'm hoping to have both these projects finished by the weekend then i can make a start on the engine shed next week.

post-31611-0-22947400-1520414041_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-25314000-1520414269_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-32057100-1520414292_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-02632500-1520414318_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-94282600-1520414342_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-23540400-1520414376_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

Looking good Bob :)
Some nice detailing here. I like trying to use odds & ends, scraps and sprue, to make some bespoke parts too. Always gives a model a bit of uniqueness.....
Re that colour for the tanks. Yes, I think I'd give them another coat, but if they're still a bit shiny (once you've allowed plenty of time to dry....) give them a final coat of Matt Varnish
That'll usually sort it out. Cheers again. I'm really enjoying this thread :)

I really appreciate the kind words of those and the help of those who know better like your good self Marc, i always try and use anything i can find when i'm trying not to spend owt! I feel like i've already cheated by buying the brick paper but there are just somethings i can't do myself anymore...not that i could ever do stuff like that in the first place :jester: Please don't expect daily reports i'm just in the zone at the mo' and trying to get the spare bedroom sorted out and tidy/use up of all my railway clutter.....i was cutting some ply for another daft project this morn' (swmbo had spoken..ordered me! :butcher:  ) so i took advantage and got the loco' shed base cut whilst i was at it  :) ....it's the last of my plastic barge board off cuts! I'm sure my builder mate can get me more if and when i need it. :) I cut a slot out for the track to go in and an inspection pit, i might try using a short length of spare 32mm Narrow gauge track for this job, as its deeper and may be easier to fix into the pit sides???

post-31611-0-77298800-1520432765_thumb.jpg

post-31611-0-14379500-1520432796_thumb.jpg

Edited by Owd Bob
  • Like 4

The old guitar is a Tanglewood copy and not a proper Gibson mores the pity, it was originally mine new about 30 years ago but i only ever achieved the three chord wonder status, but what little i could/can play i still really enjoy, and i'm a leg-end in my own bedroom  :jester:  i gifted it to a Nephew in the early '90's who never bothered with it at all, so it got handed back to my now eldest Daughter as a teenager who like wise did sod all with it! ... :no: So its now back stood gatherin' dust until the mood takes me :jester:

Many thanks for the high praise Marc, it really means a lot coming from superb modelers like yourself  :) The paste table has had plenty of extra support added and i'm thinking of putting an insulation type fibre board on the top to cut down the noise.   The Choppers were  deffo pants rippers back in the day, as i know from going flying head on into an ice-cream van aged about 10 when the fog wafters i had on got really caught up in the chain and chain-guard and for which i had many a rollockin' off mi Mam for ruining mi best keks :whistle:  Heres the Chopper finished and just wanting a gear knob, hopefully this will get me into the classic car and steam rallies/shows next summer. :biggrin_mini2:

attachicon.gif2010-10-12 20.13.08.jpg

Is that the original colour? ........I don't ever remember seeing a MK1 that wasn't orange? :)

• Like 1

Just found this thread, it all looks really good Bob, love the pictures of the Chopper, that brings back loads of memories especially the one with the flat back tyre, seem to remember that a lot! 

Look forward to seeing your layout grow.

Steve.

• Agree 1