Rebuilt WC pacific Trevone 34096

railroadbill

Rails website shows the latest Hornby rebuilt Bulleid pacific "Trevone"  is now available.  Looks good on the Hornby video as well. 

Very tempting, but I was going to rename/number one of my rebuilt WC/BBs using some Jackson Evans plates for Trevone that I've got [in fact have had for some years :-) ]   I was going to renumber 34088 213 squadron, which is an  excellent runner on the layout.  That's got the older style tender coupling with a bar that fits between brass strips on the loco coupling.  The prototype is I think the same as Trevone with the 4500 gal tender. Looks the same in the pictures.

The new model seems to have a bar coupling with wire and plug electrical connection. The finish looks glossier as well.

Has anyone seen one of these and are there other changes from the earlier releases?

The build quality on this model, going by pictures online, seems very good. My only criticism is the more pronounced 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock boiler seams that on some of the earlier releases (ignoring the 9 and 3 o'clock joins).

Looks a lovely model and bodes well for this and future models.

Which factory is it?

Unlucky 34096, one of the few rebuilds not to survive the Western Region cull at Exmouth Junction,at just under three, and a half years it had the shortest working life of any of the rebuilds.

Just looked up the dates in my RCTS book and it says rebuilt 4/1961, withdrawn 9/1964, pretty wasteful really.  I did actually travel behind this loco when coming back from holiday in summer 1962.   My father (who was initially responsible for my obsession with trains) reckoned that he'd timed it at 92 mph, on the levelish lines after Basingstoke heading towards London. Quite feasible since many faster speeds have been recorded for the pacifics.  They couldn't half shift.

Rails website shows the latest Hornby rebuilt Bulleid pacific "Trevone"  is now available.  Looks good on the Hornby video as well. 

Very tempting, but I was going to rename/number one of my rebuilt WC/BBs using some Jackson Evans plates for Trevone that I've got [in fact have had for some years :-) ]   I was going to renumber 34088 213 squadron, which is an  excellent runner on the layout.  That's got the older style tender coupling with a bar that fits between brass strips on the loco coupling.  The prototype is I think the same as Trevone with the 4500 gal tender. Looks the same in the pictures.

The new model seems to have a bar coupling with wire and plug electrical connection. The finish looks glossier as well.

Has anyone seen one of these and are there other changes from the earlier releases?

I'm pretty sure the model has thee semi-permanent wire and plug connection between engine and tender, and from photos the finish looks darker and glossier than some previous Hornby versions of Brunswick green, which is all good.  I live in NZ so must wait to see it in the flesh so to speak.

Cheers 

some photos adulterated by me in the 'Best Ever' thread in Hornby may appear soon.

• RMweb Gold

I've just taken my Trevone out of the box, ready for initial running-in on the rolling road.

It definitely has the fixed tender drawbar and plug-in electrical connection, which seems to be standard on all Hornby tender locos now.

The green is a close match to that on Okehampton, but the finish a bit more shiny; what I would describe as "slightly on the glossy side of satin".

Very nice, and just right for the light weathering I have planned for her.

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

Just looked up the dates in my RCTS book and it says rebuilt 4/1961, withdrawn 9/1964, pretty wasteful really.  I did actually travel behind this loco when coming back from holiday in summer 1962.   My father (who was initially responsible for my obsession with trains) reckoned that he'd timed it at 92 mph, on the levelish lines after Basingstoke heading towards London. Quite feasible since many faster speeds have been recorded for the pacifics.  They couldn't half shift.

Mmm, I wonder, the LSWR main-line east of Basingstoke was limited' by the old pneumatic signaling, to 60 MPH, when it was replaced in 1966, some 'racer' drivers decided to test their steeds to the limit, some times exceeding the magic 'ton'. One of those 'Racers' was a former next door neighbor of mine, while I lived in Wallisdown, Bournemouth(1987-1994) until he passed away in 1991, his name was Rueben Hendicott a few of his exploits are tabulated in the book on Bulleid Pacifics by D.W. Winkworth. I had known Rueben from before, as I'd spoke to him a few times at Nine Elms shed in the last years of steam, a chance in a million ending up as neighbours 20 years later, and still just as chatty to enthusiasts. :sungum:   

edit - I did put a 'u' in neighbor - huh American server !?!?

Edited by bike2steam
  • Like 1

Sounds a good model. One to get, I think. Actually having a slightly different finish to other similar locos on the layout would be good, the full size weren't exactly the same after being in service for a while. [From what I can remember steam was either shiny ex-works or soot black :-) ]

Looking forward to your pics of this, Rob.

Living next door to Rueben Hendicott must have been a bonus, Bike2Steam, particularly if he was keen to talk about his railway career. Our "speed record" could well have been further along the LSWR main line, I was only 11 at the time!

I've just taken my Trevone out of the box, ready for initial running-in on the rolling road.

It definitely has the fixed tender drawbar and plug-in electrical connection, which seems to be standard on all Hornby tender locos now.

The green is a close match to that on Okehampton, but the finish a bit more shiny; what I would describe as "slightly on the glossy side of satin".

Very nice, and just right for the light weathering I have planned for her.

John

FWIW - Appledore of the same stable from the Golden Arrow pack also has the drawbar and electrical plug too.

• RMweb Gold

Just looking at web photo's of the model (Hattons, Rails, Kernow) and on each one the rear truck doesn't sit at right-angles to the track - its tucked in with the bottom of the truck nearer the front of the loco than the top. Not a feature of the prototype or other Hornby WC's. 

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/56190/R3524-Hornby-West-Country-Class-Steam-Locomotive-number-34096

http://www.hattons.co.uk/250827/Hornby_R3524_Rebuilt_West_Country_4_6_2_34096_Trevone_in_BR_green_with_late_crest/StockDetail.aspx

https://railsofsheffield.com/br-green-late-trevone-rebuilt-west-country-class-4-6-2-locomotive-34096-r3524-Hornby-JJJA32432.aspx

Given its a fixed truck does this mean it has been incorrectly fitted at the factory and if so is it an easy home fix?

Edited by MikeParkin65

Just looking at web photo's of the model (Hattons, Rails, Kernow) and on each one the rear truck doesn't sit at right-angles to the track - its tucked in with the bottom of the truck neae the front of the loco than the top. Not a feature of the prototype or other Hornby WC's. 

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/p/56190/R3524-Hornby-West-Country-Class-Steam-Locomotive-number-34096

http://www.hattons.co.uk/250827/Hornby_R3524_Rebuilt_West_Country_4_6_2_34096_Trevone_in_BR_green_with_late_crest/StockDetail.aspx

https://railsofsheffield.com/br-green-late-trevone-rebuilt-west-country-class-4-6-2-locomotive-34096-r3524-Hornby-JJJA32432.aspx

Given its a fixed truck does this mean it has been incorrectly fitted at the factory and if so is it an easy home fix?

Darn it! I never noticed before but my Sir Frederick Pile from ’09 looks the same.

The build quality on this model, going by pictures online, seems very good. My only criticism is the more pronounced 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock boiler seams that on some of the earlier releases (ignoring the 9 and 3 o'clock joins).

Looks a lovely model and bodes well for this and future models.

Which factory is it?

The boiler seams  don't seem too pronounced in the flesh, as it were.  Its probably down to the lighting in the pictures, though in strong sunlight, at certain angles, the one on top of the boiler does stand out a bit.

The factory sticker says TEC05.

• RMweb Gold

Just looking at web photo's of the model (Hattons, Rails, Kernow) and on each one the rear truck doesn't sit at right-angles to the track - its tucked in with the bottom of the truck nearer the front of the loco than the top. Not a feature of the prototype or other Hornby WC's. 

The truck is actually a separate part, apparently held on by two screws, from the Service Sheet, removal looks straightforward, though I haven't yet attempted it. 

I'd think that inserting a bit of packing between the front of the truck and the main chassis casting ought to bring everything level.

John

EDIT: The tender will need to be disconnected first and it will be necessary to confirm that the rear of the truck has room to move upwards as the front is brought down, otherwise adhesion of the driving wheels may be affected. 

Edited by Dunsignalling

Getting the tender top off Trevone is an exercise in heart-in-the-mouth tugging as I found when installing a DCC decoder.

The two deeply recessed screws at the back are fairly easy to deal with, though a bit tight, but (at least on mine) there seemed to be a bit of excess glue at the engine end and the lugs wouldn't readily disengage.  I feared for the steps at one point!  The top eventually came away, I popped in the decoder and all was well.  Be aware that the handbrake appears to pass through the tender body and is glued into the tender chassis, possibly the source of the excess glue. Without care/luck, it would be easy to break off. I was lucky!

On the other hand, the coal insert comes out very easily....  :jester: 

• RMweb Gold

Yes that is quite common on more recent tenders. I tend to use a sharp knife with care to initially separate the tender body from the chassis being careful to release the ladders first incase glue has got on them aswell.

Edited by roundhouse

The boiler seams  don't seem too pronounced in the flesh, as it were.  Its probably down to the lighting in the pictures, though in strong sunlight, at certain angles, the one on top of the boiler does stand out a bit.

The factory sticker says TEC05.

Just seen this model in the flesh at the Bluebell Shop. Looks great, and yes boiler seams are much less visible. So so tempted... fantastic model, but a few too many locos in my renumbering line at present