Least Used Stretch of Railway

D854_Tiger

Excluding sidings, platform roads and loops what is the least used stretch of railway in the UK, owned by Network Rail, formally still open (even if only for freight), available for use and has been used at least once in say the last three years.

For the sake of argument, curves can be included such as the Anlaby Curve in Hull, though that one does see fairly regular use.

Maybe that other curve in Hull, Walton Street Junction - Springbank North Junction sees even less use.

• RMweb Gold

Bletchley to Calvert is an interesting case, in that I don't think it was ever closed, just hasn't had any trains for about thirty years .......oh, and most of the track has gone, too.

Kevin

I deposited a 66 and couple of wagons beyond the official NR boundary gate at Claydon a few years back (July 2014) to clear the track circuits to allow run rounds during the building of the Bicester chord, first 'train' down there since 1991 apparently!

imagejpg2.jpg

imagejpg1-1.jpg

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Don't know what uses it these days, but the Gainsborough - Brigg - Wrawby Junction line was very lightly used. Famous for its appearance on Top Gear with the Class 31 versus Renault Espace level crossing clip IIRC....

Dave

In terms of actual main line, I offer

Linford Street Jn - 9 Elms ??

West London Jn - Latchmere No.? Jn

probably no where near some other sections for lack of use but pretty lightly used since Eurostar went all HS1 ................ bizarrely the adjacent Longhedge Jn - Ludgate Jn section which saw light use for freight and occasional ecs / specials now has a pretty intensive passenger service running over it since 2012ish...........

What about the curve just south of Carlisle station which ocassional specials use to get from the WCML (heading north) onto the S&C and Newcastle lines.

That one London Road to Upperby that has been used quite recently it is the bit from London Road to Bog Hall and on to Currock that appears not to have been used or some time! This will change when the new mine at Whitehaven opens in about 18 months time with coal going to Redcar for export! see this link http://www.westcumbriamining.com/

Mark Saunders

• RMweb Gold

Newhaven Marine is only occasionally used for trains turned back at Newhaven Town or Harbour - i.e. not proceeding to Bishopstone and Seaford. It was used during the Seaford 150 specials weekend, for taking on water. The new timetable proposals for 2018 include upping the 2 per hour trains from Brighton to 3 as far as Newhaven Harbour, but turning one there and only letting two go on to Seaford, as the single line timings wouldn't allow 3 per hour. So perhaps the Marine line will be used more regularly then. I say line as the station has been cleared down to platform level.

Not much seems to happen on the stub of the N&C west of Newcastle Central Station past the Newcastle arena.

At the time of the closure of the Blaydon - Scotswood bridge line and retention of the Dunston line to serve the Metro Centre, It was vigorously protected as a layover for HSTs impairing regeneration of that tract of former industrial land.

dh

Not much seems to happen on the stub of the N&C west of Newcastle Central Station past the Newcastle arena.

At the time of the closure of the Blaydon - Scotswood bridge line and retention of the Dunston line to serve the Metro Centre, It was vigorously protected as a layover for HSTs impairing regeneration of that tract of former industrial land.

dh

At the time of the closure of the bridge over the Tyne at Scotswood, it still served Stella North power station and Colas's bitumen terminal at Paradise. The former shut in 1991, and the latter shut whenever it was that Shell stopped sending bitumen from Stanlow. This would have been almost ten years after the line ceased being the through route for Hexham. I presume the Castle Cement terminal at the Newcastle end has gone now? There is, I believe, movement of track machines to and from the workshops at Forth Banks.

• RMweb Premium

What about the curve just south of Carlisle station which ocassional specials use to get from the WCML (heading north) onto the S&C and Newcastle lines.

It's used quite regularly for turning steam specials. It was used yesterday by 46233 and will be in use again today with 60103.

Cheers,

Mick

At the time of the closure of the bridge over the Tyne at Scotswood, it still served Stella North power station and Colas's bitumen terminal at Paradise. The former shut in 1991, and the latter shut whenever it was that Shell stopped sending bitumen from Stanlow. This would have been almost ten years after the line ceased being the through route for Hexham. I presume the Castle Cement terminal at the Newcastle end has gone now? There is, I believe, movement of track machines to and from the workshops at Forth Banks.

Castle Cement in the North East was a Casualty of the end of Speedlink both Forth Banks and Middlesbrough Goods!

Mark Saunders

Last time I saw it the track through MOIRA , Leicestershire was well underused, unless its now been closed.....

West of Mantle Line the Leicester - Burton route's ongoing existence could be described as precarious.

It is currently used by one train heading to Barton Hill, most days, roughly once a week by a Tube stock movement and by the Eurostar trains being taken for scrap, however often they are scheduled.

Also Network Rail often use the route for moving their test trains around and can often do so unexpectedly.

I know someone who recently bought a house next to the line who was reliably informed by the usual suspects that the line was closed and hadn't seen a train in years. A view reinforced by many of the locals who, admittedly, probably never see what little traffic there is that remains, including the ones that regularly walk their dogs that way (apparently he often notices them passing his garden oblivious to the fact they are using a live railway.

The first my colleague discovered to the contrary was, as he put it, "Being on the p**s and getting up for a 'gypsies' at two in the morning and a bloody great stone train was passing."

It seems, for signal box staffing reasons, when Barton Hill is busy any post midnight trains leave via the Burton end, rather than the preferred way via Leicester.

During the day, pathing anything slow via Burton onto a busy 125 mph railway is rather problematic, as one look at this Real Time Trains timing will confirm.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/H22405/2017/08/04/advanced

Note the near three hour wait at Burton for a suitable slot in the timetable.

How much traffic does the Sharpness branch see?

A few weeks ago cant remember the date just happend to be on Open trains Gloucester map and saw a train reported on the branch. It departed to Crewe so must have been a nuclear flask train.

Also little used Clarbeston road to Fishguard.

Looking at realtimetrains at Brigg for the last week, it had the usual three each way Sheffield/Cleethorpes passenger trains on Saturday, but only one freight all week (a biomass from Immingham to Drax).

There were also a few unused paths during Mon-Fri, but still only about 2 a day.

Nearby, the line through Maltby (Worksop-Doncaster), has been seeing up to 8 trains actually running in a 24h period, the majority to/from Cottam power station.

• RMweb Gold

ironbridge doesnt see any trains anymore, the NR test trains that are booked down there don't run as no one signs it, well i say that i used to sign it so i only need a refresh as it has lapsed from my route card but its a bit of a catch 22 situation, how do i get down there if no trains run!

not a lot uses oxley chord in the bushbury-oxley direction, similarly, darlaston jn to pleck jn, perry barr south to perry barr west jn