Shops sending Railway paints abroad.

Lovstrom

Can someone please point me to a shop that send acrylic paint in Railway colours abroad. I have checked for example Railmatch. But the people that sell them seem to be under the impression that Royal mail still have a ban on acrylics.

Thank you

Sven

• RMweb Gold

Have you tried Gaugemaster?   They certainly use Royal Mail for small amounts of acrylic paint within the UK, as I bought some from them recently.

It might be worth e mailing them to ask about overseas delivery.

David

Edited by DaveF

Restricted International

Water-based paints, wood varnishes and enamels The items must be securely closed and placed in a leak-proof liner, such as a sealed polythene bag, so that any inadvertent leakage is contained within the outer packaging. Surround with absorbent material such as newspaper and sufficient cushioning material to protect each item from damage. Volume per item should not exceed 150ml. No more than four items can be sent in any one package. The sender’s name and return address must be clearly visible on the outer packaging.

From Royal Mail web site.

All solvent based paint is prohibited without exception.

Now could someone explain why enamels are banned from postage? Because its annoying to be cut off from a few paint ranges Id like to try.

I once found an online shop based in Texas that supplied Humbrol...wish I could find it again.

Now could someone explain why enamels are banned from postage? Because its annoying to be cut off from a few paint ranges Id like to try.

I once found an online shop based in Texas that supplied Humbrol...wish I could find it again.

In the USA you can purchase all Humbrol paints on-line from http://airfix-usa.shptron.com/c/humbrol-paints

In Canada, you can purchase Humbrol Railway Acrylics and some enamels from us  - Model Railway Imports

http://www.modelrailwayimports.com/products.php?q=humbrol&s=5

Steve

Model Railway Imports

Canada

In the USA you can purchase all Humbrol paints on-line from http://airfix-usa.shptron.com/c/humbrol-paints

In Canada, you can purchase Humbrol Railway Acrylics and some enamels from us  - Model Railway Imports

http://www.modelrailwayimports.com/products.php?q=humbrol&s=5

Steve

Model Railway Imports

Canada

In addition to getting your Humbrol railway acrylics and enamels from Model Railway Imports and Steve as I do, at least some main stream hobby stores have racks of the Humbrol Enamel line of paint. I know for example Wheels & Wings Hobbies on Danforth Ave in Toronto does, but he can't/won't get the acrylics or railway colours as he has no market for them.

Stephen

Because if they end up on an aircraft they are classified as " dangerous goods "

Hi

I don't know where you are based but since Royal Mail brought in its paint and glue ban a few years ago it has become very difficult to get these items sent abroad.

After a lot of searching the best one I have found in the UK, for me anyway is airbrushsupplyonline.com and in Europe slotcar-union.com they both stock the Humbrol range including the railway colours, and airbrush also have the lifecolour series.

Richard

I wonder if the answer is to actuallyto think about the paint itself.

Firstly , there is no such thing as a real prototype colour, all painted surfaces change over time, so at best you might get a match for the theoretical original colour. If railway colours are not available locally, then maybe military modelling colours. Otherwise artists acryllics can be used as a start point and can easily be mixed. A bit of variety in shade is probably more prototypcal anyway.

Secondly, why acryllic. I have been using acryllic for over 20 years, would not even consider oil based, but have now found an even better source of paint, namely household emulsion. In effect it is the same as acryllic, just not so much glue in it, so it won't stick to most plastics. A primer coat of grey(it is the best primer colour), then you can paint with emulsion on top. I buy my emulsions as pound sample pots, and there is a big range of colurs. Oddly though, greens are difficult, but I got round that by mixing my own.

Maybe it is time for a decent article on model paints, which does not just repeat what as been written over the past 50 years. .This is a creative hobby, yet many just seem to follow instructions and are not so willling to do something differently.  It is also great fun experimenting with colour. I have also found it a lot cheaper using emulsion paint pots, and I can buy them locally.

There are good reasos for not allowing some paints and liquids to be sent in the post. Nothing can be done about that, so best way is to look at the problem from another angle. You might even find a better way to do it.

Cant stand using acrylics, so I stick to enamels. Have never managed a decent finish with acrylic.

Ive tried brushpainting certain acrylics and it just does not stick at all, so I avoid it. (Yes I use primer)

So the suggestion to "just use acrylics" isnt much help.

Besides, with certain brands its less about the colors they have but the quality, especially when it comes to metallic colours or "brushability".

Ok Thanks everyone

I will have a look at Airbrush company.

My own eperience of over 20 years ago with Humbrol acrylics was not very upplifting.

They may be a lot better nowadays but I have not even considered them to be honest.

I have tried Vallejo and lifecolor in my airbrush. I really prefer using an Airbrush for painting my 7mm kits.I 

Someone suggested that I used Vallejo model paint. I would do that if someone told me what would be the close to British railway colours.

I dont trust myself and my eyes to make those shades out. 

Sven

Ok Thanks everyone

I will have a look at Airbrush company.

My own eperience of over 20 years ago with Humbrol acrylics was not very upplifting.

They may be a lot better nowadays but I have not even considered them to be honest.

I have tried Vallejo and lifecolor in my airbrush. I really prefer using an Airbrush for painting my 7mm kits.I 

Someone suggested that I used Vallejo model paint. I would do that if someone told me what would be the close to British railway colours.

I dont trust myself and my eyes to make those shades out. 

Sven

Contact Precision Paints who use carriers.   Charlie

• 1 month later...

It's not the retailer's fault, and it's not Royal Mail's fault, the security clamp-down blame lies with the terrorists. We all know we can't send flammable liquids by post, so that cuts out paint thinners, glues, along with cellulose and enamel paints, plus any spray cans. Since the liquid bomb scares on aeroplanes, this Royal Mail ban has been extended to all liquids. The latest shock for me, when ordering from a well-known retailer near Widnes, was that they couldn't send grass flock powder by Royal Mail anymore, it would have to go by courier. Apparently our parcels are now routinely scanned at central RM depots, any liquid or powder detected, is viewed as potential explosives. Quite understandably, when the couriers stop carrying these products, we'll all be stuffed. Such is the times we live in. 

Cheers, Brian.