Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

Photo

Scarside - 009 the easy way

009 RTR setrack

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 sjrixon

sjrixon

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 676 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 06:38

Nice. You are making some swift progress now!

Does the backscene still not need a gap so you can swap the trains about?

Google Ads are only seen by non-members of RMweb - Create an RMweb account and you'll only receive modelling ads.

#27 Nile

Nile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 16 September 2017 - 14:06

Yes it does, and here it is, along with the fiddle stick for those trains.

54.JPG

• Like x 3

#28 Nile

Nile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 17 September 2017 - 16:59

I may have got a bit carried away, but I had an urge to install point rodding. This is mainly using bits left over from another layout. It's not 100% but the important bits are there

51.JPG

To hold the signal box in place, in a non-permanent way, I've used some small magnets.

52.JPG

53.JPG

• Like x 9
  • Informative/Useful x 1

#29 Corbs

Corbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,044 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 21:21

I really like the use of magnets, especially if the layout is to be handled a fair bit.

• Agree x 2

#30 Nile

Nile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted 22 September 2017 - 13:10

That's enough on the top side of the board for now, it's time to flip it over and motorise the points.

I'm using what is now my preferred choice, modified servo motors. Details of the modification can be found here:

http://www.rmweb.co....e/#entry1335247

Two blocks of wood, cut from a long strip, are used to mount the motor to the underside of the board. They will be glued in place.

55.JPG

Some 0.8mm brass rod will do the work of moving the tie bar, this will be trimmed back after installation.

56.JPG

The rod goes through the hole in the baseboard and into the tie bar of the point above. The motor can be moved manually to check its alignment before finally gluing in place.

57.JPG

• Like x 4

#31 Nile

Nile

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • LocationEssex

Posted Yesterday, 11:10

To control these motors I built a little control box. A small cheap ABS box off ebay plus some sprung toggle switches.

58.JPG

Inside is the first bit of wiring, the positive and negative supply lines..

59.JPG

In amongst my stash of bits left over from previous layouts I found a plug that was already wired, so I've reused that. The unused wires have to be neatly kept out of the way. It's one wire per point, plus two for the supply (+ & -). The 0V point motor common doesn't need to enter this box.

60.JPG

The lead is not very long, but I can add an extension lead if needed. I'll add a track diagram later, this is good enough for testing now.

61.JPG

• Like x 3

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 009, RTR, setrack