Heljan O Gauge gear spares

pwr

With Howes now out of the spare final drive gears for these models and the problem with split gears still persisting does anyone know how we get replacements?

Heljan need to deal with this issue

Paul R

With Howes now out of the spare final drive gears for these models and the problem with split gears still persisting does anyone know how we get replacements?

Heljan need to deal with this issue

Paul R

Hello Paul

Do you have reason to believe that when Howes say they are temporarily out of stock they will not be in stock soon? I recently bought new gears but no doubt there are others who will need them in the future

Norman

Hello Paul

Do you have reason to believe that when Howes say they are temporarily out of stock they will not be in stock soon? I recently bought new gears but no doubt there are others who will need them in the future

Norman

Norman

If you look at a number of other items they also say temporarily out of stock but there is no likelihood of any more. They list a green class 26 loco as temporarily out of stock but the chances of these being produced any time soon would be extremely remote.

I am going to give Howes a call later

Paul R

• Like 1

Hi...

I solved a split gear issue in my recently aquired Class 47 by using half of a full set that I'd bought for my first Heljan loco - the Class 37.

What do I mean by half a set?

I just removed the motor (and split gears) from one bogie and replaced the split gears in the other bogie.

The 47 still runs like a dream on one bogie.

I'm not sure if all sets are interchangable between loco types, but it worked for me.

Randall

• 3 weeks later...

Hi...

I solved a split gear issue in my recently aquired Class 47 by using half of a full set that I'd bought for my first Heljan loco - the Class 37.

What do I mean by half a set?

I just removed the motor (and split gears) from one bogie and replaced the split gears in the other bogie.

The 47 still runs like a dream on one bogie.

I'm not sure if all sets are interchangable between loco types, but it worked for me.

Randall

Randall

The gears and drive train are the same in the Hymek, 37, 47 and Deltic and are interchangeable

Other models are different and for example sales are still available for the 31

Regards

Paul R

• 2 months later...

Mine have always tended to fail while in storage rather than use, and I did run the Hymek for a year or so with only one motor, putting all the load onto one gear train, without issue, so I would tend to the view its either the fit onto the shaft being too tight, or poor material in the gear which deteriorates, but I could be wrong.

Either way it's a poor situation, not helped by the official Heljan reaction, which tends to be, tough, you can get replacements from Howes.

I shan't be buying any further Heljan products, if everyone else did the same the message might get home, but I'm not holding my breath.

Meanwhile over on the Gauge O Guild forum, attempts are being made to source replacements from an outside source, they will undoubtedly prove more expensive, but may only need replacing once.

Peter

Peter

Likewise. I had a second hand Hymek which came with the gear split which I assume was the reason it was sold. However my 37 and 47 that were both affected had hardly been out of the box.

I think Heljans position here is disgraceful and is probably in breach of consumer selling regulations

Paul R

I have had gear failures on a couple of Hymeks and a class 37 so far. These locos have had minimal usage and not pulling large trains. Each time the gear split.  I think it's more to do with time, age and materials used.  A brass replacement gear wheel as is being developed over on the Gauge 0 Guild will hopefully result in a long life.

I have recently found a damaged a gear on a class 45 but this time it was not split just one tooth damaged resulting in a knocking noise.  The motor had moved in its clamp (poor design) and the worm had disengaged from the first gear damaging the gear tooth in the process.  I have requested a replacement from Howes - but I'm still waiting.  As the loco is only a couple of months old I could send it back.  When I stripped down the bogie I was surprised that gears in the train just float on the shaft and its easy to see that only about 25% mesh can be obtained if one gear slides in the opposite direction.  A poor design and not best practise IMHO.

Norman

I popped into Howes yesterday and spoke to Mike who is well aware of the problem as is Heljan in Denmark. Hence the new version of the Class 37 has a modified design. Both versions of the gears were in stock yesterday and I understand that this is still an on going investigation by Heljan with their suppliers in China. 

So perhaps a bit less of the negativity on here as efforts are being made to sort the problem out!  Heljan are at Warley if anybody feels they need to vent their feelings...........hopefully pleasantly............and I'm sure notice will be taken. I will also be there to help where I can.....................SO TREAT ME GENTLY!

Given the Heljan response to previous requests for solutions to the problem is

'Howes are our UK agent, they sell spares',

and that this problem has been ongoing for at least 4 years with no real interest from them, it's hard not to be negative. For some loco's the replacements are no better than the originals, 3 or 4 years on with a known fault.

Its only recently, when various social media platforms have started a groundswell of discontent that they are finally acknowledging that there is actually a problem, though no doubt any solution will still be at a cost to the consumer, so I can't really see a lot to be positive about, I have more faith that after market solutions by others will be available, and won't continue to break.

Rather than get the same unhelpful response from Heljan that they have given at several previous Exhibitions they I have attended I have simply chosen to take my money elsewhere, they started the negativity by refusing to accept there was a problem and doing nothing about it for years.

Peter

The correct thing to do would be to supply all loco owners with free replacement gears or a free repair if sent in for upgrade. I somehow doubt this will happen. If this were Dapol, Bachman or Hornby this is the solution they would adopt.

I would be interested to know what the redesigned 37 looks like and how this improves things.

It's the first time I have heard of the 33 having this problem -I thought they were a different design

Paul R

As regarding 'in stock' - I see it states only suitable for class 37 (second version) - so those of us with gear problems in original 37 and 47's are still waiting it seems????

Deltic17 - the website clearly says version 1 for 37, 47, 35 and 55 - I can't see the second version

Paul R

Deltic17 - the website clearly says version 1 for 37, 47, 35 and 55 - I can't see the second version

Paul R

The second generation class 37 gear is listed under 0 gauge general spares (how worrying is that).  The photo of the gear is out of focus so I can't see the difference to Mk1.

Norman

Ah,the joys of the split Heljan gears. No one knows if these are down to poor materials or design. Heljan refuse to a acknowledge an issue. I have had it happen to classes 31and 37 so far.

The latest release class 37 do indeed have a different gear design to the original first release...but it remains to be seen if the new generation fare any better. As per the case with the newer designed mechanisms on the later 25,43,45 and 60s.

• 1 month later...

Hi all...

Following recent discussions on the Guild forum, a member has kindly committed to undertaking a survey to try to ascertain the extent of the problem of split gears on Heljan 0 gauge locomotives, with a view to the Guild bringing the result to the attention of Heljan as a collective submission.

All are welcome to contribute to the survey whether a member of the Gauge 0 Guild or not. If you have experienced the 'split gears' problem, there is a submission point with full description of the requirements on the Guild website's Home Page under the Guild News banner.

Please read the requirements carefully as this survey is about ALL locomotive types, not just concentrating on those models that have had the specific problem. This is in order to assess the extent (or not) of the problem across the range.

http://www.gauge0guild.com/#

Randall

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Following the tales of woe on the Guild forum about split gears I have designed and sourced replacements in brass for the gear set that engages with the worm, which appears to be the prime source of failures. Having got one batch made for the Class 26/33 bogies, I am taking orders for a further batch of these, as well as the gears for the 35/37(first version)/47&55 and the 31. Cost £66 per set of four (ie one locomotive). If anyone wants to put their name down for any, email me at james.snowdon501@btinternet.com with details.

The lead time for manufacture is around six weeks from when I place the order, which will only be when I have sufficient expressions of interest to make the production run worthwhile.

Jim

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Ive just viewed the basic survey results in the GOG Gazette re the splitting gears issue on Heljan locos. Grim reading, especially as it will be apparent that the survey only covers 85 responses, so we can assume the problem is widespread beyond the Guild.

My partner was shocked when I told her about the survey, she said:- 'Frankly at the price points those models are charged at it's a disgrace and Heljan are/were supplying products that were not fit for purpose nor of a satisfactory quality (Sale of Goods Act, Consumer Rights Act et al)-yours have hardly turned a wheel. Heljan must have known about this for years!' It shows swmbo, pays attention and is consumer rights savvy. I agree with her, in any other walk of life this matter would have been robustly challenged, years back.

Also remember that our contracts of sale were with the retailers AND that in the smaller scales Heljan had this problem, and, AFAICT, put such right?

Another case of 'O gauge always the bridesmaid and never the bride'?

There is also a point in law relating to price points and longevity-which I dont wish to go into in open forum for various reasons.

Ive experienced split gears, Cl47, 37, 35s. New replacements yet to be fitted. But NONE of my locos have done any work yet, mores the pity, theyve only been test run! Howes have been helpful to date, yet I suspect that the replacement gears will do the exact same, judging by your comments here and those from others elsewhere.

In the first instance I was nearly asked to pay for the replacement gears. Several issues arise out of this matter, the case in hand; with any other consumer item, ie a TV the purchaser/owner wouldnt be expected to repair such themselves, or to pay for the spares-especially under warranty (there is also an issue in law re longevity, price points etc). Also Heljan et al have known about this problem for years, at least 12 years and have basically fudged the issue-ducked out of their legal responsibilities.

From what I can tell, Jim has taken the sensible initiative to manufacture/commission upgraded replacements, which are not, I assume mass produced, therefore come at a price point many % above the defective Heljan gears, that is completely understandable.

Heljan should have (and should still) met those costs for each and every owner, regardless of the age of the models. The matter isnt one of wear and tear, its of defective gears/gear trains.

I even read about such, from time to time, in the mainstream model rly press.

Until reading the survey today, this matter was well on the back burner for me-as I assumed (which makes an ass of me!), as I was told, in writing, that the matter had been resolved with the newer replacement gears, I took it on the chin that I would have to fit them myself (thus the problem solved). Now? Im quite angry, to think that so many of us have been hoodwinked and kept, unitiated, and in the dark. Heljan should have paid for fit for purpose replacement gears and fitting (whether such is by a service centre or ourselves), years back and then fitted suitable replacement gears from that point on as part of their production runs.

Cost wise, there is shipping, other out-of-pocket expenses and other financial aspects/considerations-Heljan have got off very, very lightly thus far!

I hope that the Guild can make some headway with this case.

Kind regards to all,

CME.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher