Heljan O Gauge gear spares

pwr

I'm happy to say that thanks to Jim Snowdons initiative I now have what I believe to be a permanent solution to the problem.

post-18627-0-62779000-1525332971_thumb.jpg

Yes they are six times the cost, but having already taken bogies apart twice it's a price I was happy to pay for the solution, and not unexpected for custom built gears.

What was more satisfying to me was seeing someone with approriate knowledge actually doing something to solve a problem, far more powerful than the 'experts' that populate the Forum, and elsewhere, who seem to spend their time telling us what's wrong, and how they would do it better, but never do.

Many thanks Jim, actions speak louder than words!

Peter

• Like 5

I'm happy to say that thanks to Jim Snowdons initiative I now have what I believe to be a permanent solution to the problem.

attachicon.gif20180503_083111-1632x1224.jpg

Yes they are six times the cost, but having already taken bogies apart twice it's a price I was happy to pay for the solution, and not unexpected for custom built gears.

What was more satisfying to me was seeing someone with approriate knowledge actually doing something to solve a problem, far more powerful than the 'experts' that populate the Forum, and elsewhere, who seem to spend their time telling us what's wrong, and how they would do it better, but never do.

Peter

A proper job Peter, lovely work.

I pinged a PM to Jim yesterday.

I asked, some 8-10 yrs back if anyone could manufacture such-there was little interest as folks thought that the replacement plastic gears were THE fix, I was doubtful but hopeful about the plastic gears back then too. I was wrong!

Hopefully Jim can still supply-I shall need to save though as car broke a coil spring (lots do now, not just poor rds but rubbish coil sprung steel being used-spot a theme here?) and needs new discs n pads (MOT on Friday)-gulp!

ATVB

CME

A proper job Peter, lovely work.

I pinged a PM to Jim yesterday.

I asked, some 8-10 yrs back if anyone could manufacture such-there was little interest as folks thought that the replacement plastic gears were THE fix, I was doubtful but hopeful about the plastic gears back then too. I was wrong!

Hopefully Jim can still supply-I shall need to save though as car broke a coil spring (lots do now, not just poor rds but rubbish coil sprung steel being used-spot a theme here?) and needs new discs n pads (MOT on Friday)-gulp!

ATVB

CME

One reason why more coil springs break on cars is the low profile tyres many have which have less give, in addition to the poor roads, our local council once blamed the amount of compensation given to motorists for damage repair meant there was insufficient funds to pay for road repairs!!

One reason why more coil springs break on cars is the low profile tyres many have which have less give, in addition to the poor roads, our local council once blamed the amount of compensation given to motorists for damage repair meant there was insufficient funds to pay for road repairs!!

Hi KT,

Agreed, also poor quality sprung steel-btw my partner's car has std profile tyres on it, spring broke.....the motor industry are aware, doing nowt until it kills someone/too late.

Always some excuse from councils, they blame central govt and vice versa, if big businesses paid more tax here (loosing £1-4 bn in VAT to China, Ebay, Amazon et al) and we adopted the charity begins at home attitude to foreign aid, there would be plenty for rds et al, sacking Capita et al would help too LOL!

ATVB

CME

attachicon.gif20180503_083111-1632x1224.jpg

Peter

The order books remain open - just drop me a PM at james.snowdon501(at)btinternet.com.

Delivery time depends on how long it takes to accumulate sufficient orders - at least 13, preferably 25 - plus the 6-8 weeks needed for manufacturing.

Jim

Jim

• 3 months later...

Those are a beautiful gear set, precision manufactured and worth the price.  For what it's worth, like many (all?) of us, I have items in my home and garage of Chinese manufacture.  I have noticed that all the items using a white plastic/nylon material as a washer or cushioning spacer have cracked - even though no stress has been placed on them.  All the items I have that use this material are stored inside under normal room temperature but do not last long.  Not sure if it is the chemistry of the nylon that the manufacturers cannot get right, or if their supply or raw material is to blame?  Everything else that I use coming from China from car engine parts (Ford crankshafts) to model railway items, to tools have been excellent quality.  I know some of the items coming from there are one job only and cheap, but so far I've had no problems. 

Changing subject if I may, having recently started modelling in 'O'scale and having purchased some really excellent Dapol wagons and locomotives from a Canadian distributor, I have been searching for a new (good luck!) or used Heljan Class 33 Diesel.  As in other facets of my life, I have missed the bus one too many times.  I did see one for sale for a reasonable price on the S & J Models site, but it has been sold, and they would not ship abroad even though their site provided options to do so.  So far no one has advertised an 'O' Class 33 on any of the usual on-line 'bay' sites, and no one is even asking ridiculous prices as everyone that owns one wants to keep it.  I wonder if anyone on this forum knows or has heard of someone who wants to sell a Heljan 'O'scale Class 33 in all green or green with small yellow ends please?

I am not a collector or hoarder of model railway items, but just want to run one on my B.R. (S) layout. Tower Models advised that Heljan were really disappointed that it took 2 years to sell out their stocks of the 33 when it first came out.  If the fact that they all sold, and none are on the market, surely even with the gear problems, they must be popular?  I contacted Heljan, and a very helpful lady advised that they are considering re-runs of some of the 'O' scale models.  Hopefully the 33 will be one of the runs.

Cheers E.W.

Those are a beautiful gear set, precision manufactured and worth the price. For what it's worth, like many (all?) of us, I have items in my home and garage of Chinese manufacture. I have noticed that all the items using a white plastic/nylon material as a washer or cushioning spacer have cracked - even though no stress has been placed on them. All the items I have that use this material are stored inside under normal room temperature but do not last long. Not sure if it is the chemistry of the nylon that the manufacturers cannot get right, or if their supply or raw material is to blame? Everything else that I use coming from China from car engine parts (Ford crankshafts) to model railway items, to tools have been excellent quality. I know some of the items coming from there are one job only and cheap, but so far I've had no problems.

Changing subject if I may, having recently started modelling in 'O'scale and having purchased some really excellent Dapol wagons and locomotives from a Canadian distributor, I have been searching for a new (good luck!) or used Heljan Class 33 Diesel. As in other facets of my life, I have missed the bus one too many times. I did see one for sale for a reasonable price on the S & J Models site, but it has been sold, and they would not ship abroad even though their site provided options to do so. So far no one has advertised an 'O' Class 33 on any of the usual on-line 'bay' sites, and no one is even asking ridiculous prices as everyone that owns one wants to keep it. I wonder if anyone on this forum knows or has heard of someone who wants to sell a Heljan 'O'scale Class 33 in all green or green with small yellow ends please?

I am not a collector or hoarder of model railway items, but just want to run one on my B.R. (S) layout. Tower Models advised that Heljan were really disappointed that it took 2 years to sell out their stocks of the 33 when it first came out. If the fact that they all sold, and none are on the market, surely even with the gear problems, they must be popular? I contacted Heljan, and a very helpful lady advised that they are considering re-runs of some of the 'O' scale models. Hopefully the 33 will be one of the runs.

Cheers E.W.

Hi,

As China is the factory of the world - driven by shareholder capitalism, which is almost like a race to the bottom - we are suffering, but slowly those that outsourced are either demanding better of the Chinese or moving their manufacturing bases. I had some Chinese junior hacksaw blades recently, no others available locally. They were worn out in two movements of the saw, they wouldn't even cut through hot butter! I went on line and ordered some Sandvik ones - superb product/performance.

The Heljan's Class33? By the time that came out folk were getting wary of them because of the split gear issue I suspect. The prototype is popular after all. It was quite a nice looking model with some anomalies. Also it has to be remembered that British outline in O is a smallish 'pond', so called 'Modern Image' even smaller, so sales are relative. I could have recommended the JLTRT kit, another nice model (one or two imperfections) and easy to build kit but they were driven out of the market/declared bankruptcy.

With care and some nerve a Lima 33 can be made into a decent representation, although not scaled correctly the moulding is pretty good for 1970s, even by today's standards. It can be made near scale depending on how far the modeller wishes to go.

Atvb

CME

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

Those are a beautiful gear set, precision manufactured and worth the price. For what it's worth, like many (all?) of us, I have items in my home and garage of Chinese manufacture. I have noticed that all the items using a white plastic/nylon material as a washer or cushioning spacer have cracked - even though no stress has been placed on them. All the items I have that use this material are stored inside under normal room temperature but do not last long. Not sure if it is the chemistry of the nylon that the manufacturers cannot get right, or if their supply or raw material is to blame? Everything else that I use coming from China from car engine parts (Ford crankshafts) to model railway items, to tools have been excellent quality. I know some of the items coming from there are one job only and cheap, but so far I've had no problems.

Changing subject if I may, having recently started modelling in 'O'scale and having purchased some really excellent Dapol wagons and locomotives from a Canadian distributor, I have been searching for a new (good luck!) or used Heljan Class 33 Diesel. As in other facets of my life, I have missed the bus one too many times. I did see one for sale for a reasonable price on the S & J Models site, but it has been sold, and they would not ship abroad even though their site provided options to do so. So far no one has advertised an 'O' Class 33 on any of the usual on-line 'bay' sites, and no one is even asking ridiculous prices as everyone that owns one wants to keep it. I wonder if anyone on this forum knows or has heard of someone who wants to sell a Heljan 'O'scale Class 33 in all green or green with small yellow ends please?

I am not a collector or hoarder of model railway items, but just want to run one on my B.R. (S) layout. Tower Models advised that Heljan were really disappointed that it took 2 years to sell out their stocks of the 33 when it first came out. If the fact that they all sold, and none are on the market, surely even with the gear problems, they must be popular? I contacted Heljan, and a very helpful lady advised that they are considering re-runs of some of the 'O' scale models. Hopefully the 33 will be one of the runs.

Cheers E.W.

I think that you might just have been unlucky when looking for a Class 33 on certain bay sites. I recently purchased a Class 26 & Class 33 for reasonable amounts in the past couple of months. Although correct for my time period but not for my intended region I do think they are good little models and they will suit my smaller planned layout.

It is possible that you might find one at Telford or Warley.

I think that you might just have been unlucky when looking for a Class 33 on certain bay sites. I recently purchased a Class 26 & Class 33 for reasonable amounts in the past couple of months. Although correct for my time period but not for my intended region I do think they are good little models and they will suit my smaller planned layout.

It is possible that you might find one at Telford or Warley.

Hello,

Thank you CME and HullCity for the information.  I should have mentioned that I live in Canada, and although I will be making a short stop in London in late October/early November, it will only be for a day or two.  I would really have enjoyed visiting Telford or Warley, but on checking the dates, neither is possible.  I will keep an eye out for possible sales of Class 33s, and if you hear of any, I would appreciate dropping me a line to at least try to get a chance at one.  I have just received some Bachmann buildings from Tower, and the prices were excellent and the models likewise.  I will add a few personal touches to them to fit on my layout which is under construction.  Another v. helpful 'O' scale modeller introduced me to Skytrex resin and white metal structures.  A great place for Southern Railway/Southern Region buildings again at very reasonable prices.  It's going to be hard to stop, but as space is limited, it won't be too difficult. Cheers,  Ed

I have had gear failures on a couple of Hymeks and a class 37 so far. These locos have had minimal usage and not pulling large trains. Each time the gear split.  I think it's more to do with time, age and materials used.  A brass replacement gear wheel as is being developed over on the Gauge 0 Guild will hopefully result in a long life.

I have recently found a damaged a gear on a class 45 but this time it was not split just one tooth damaged resulting in a knocking noise.  The motor had moved in its clamp (poor design) and the worm had disengaged from the first gear damaging the gear tooth in the process.  I have requested a replacement from Howes - but I'm still waiting.  As the loco is only a couple of months old I could send it back.  When I stripped down the bogie I was surprised that gears in the train just float on the shaft and its easy to see that only about 25% mesh can be obtained if one gear slides in the opposite direction.  A poor design and not best practise IMHO.

Norman

my class 45 has the wrong gear fitted from the factory 

I am thinking, when i strip the gears down to fit (once they send replacements) to fit some O rings or washers on the shafts to keep them more inline

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 years later...

Heljan Gear Supply: There still seems to be a supply issue with Heljan O Gauge replacement gears. Obviously Covid is not helping the situation, but i have now been waiting over six months, and i feel Heljan are not helping the consumer to obtain these vital spares, they are to busy making new models. I should point out that Gaugemaster are great guys, and they are not the issue here. Spares are "VITAL" to the running of our models, and quite a few of us have the older 26, 33, 35, 37 & 47 versions that are in the knackers yard currently, due to split gears. Not all of us can afford to dump these older models for new ones, with upgraded gears. I know that brass replacements are available, does anyone have any experience of running brass and nylon gears together ? any issues ? Sorry for the rant guys, but i am really depressed by this situation.

• Friendly/supportive 2

4 minutes ago, WestCountryClass said:

Heljan Gear Supply: There still seems to be a supply issue with Heljan O Gauge replacement gears. Obviously Covid is not helping the situation, but i have now been waiting over six months, and i feel Heljan are not helping the consumer to obtain these vital spares, they are to busy making new models. I should point out that Gaugemaster are great guys, and they are not the issue here. Spares are "VITAL" to the running of our models, and quite a few of us have the older 26, 33, 35, 37 & 47 versions that are in the knackers yard currently, due to split gears. Not all of us can afford to dump these older models for new ones, with upgraded gears. I know that brass replacements are available, does anyone have any experience of running brass and nylon gears together ? any issues ? Sorry for the rant guys, but i am really depressed by this situation.

The replacement gears from Heljan are a waste of time, they are the same as

the originals, and therefore will do the same.

You need to get the brass replacements, designed by Jim Snowdon, now made

by Ultrascale, not cheap, but a permanent solution.

Go back in this thread for more information.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, WestCountryClass said:

Heljan Gear Supply: There still seems to be a supply issue with Heljan O Gauge replacement gears. Obviously Covid is not helping the situation, but i have now been waiting over six months, and i feel Heljan are not helping the consumer to obtain these vital spares, they are to busy making new models. 

There are more spares being produced, according to Ben elsewhere on here.

I'm not defending the situation but making a batch of anything is dependent on getting a production slot. To be honest, even though I am irritated by this as I have one of the models and am similarly affected, i'm surprised after 10 years or so they are actually making any more spares now. 

The fact that they are making more spares suggests that the they have not properly addressed the problem and its still occurring.

Models like this should last years not expected to fail and left to the purchaser to resolve. Simply to say its out of warranty and point the owner to Gaugemaster isn't good enough!

Paul R

• Agree 2

There were letters in the GOG Gazette, about the problem of failing gears in several O gauge Heljan modern image locos, these models were made for many years with faulty/defective gears that werent fit for purpose or of a satisfactory quality. Even some of the replacement gears were defective. Unlike one's new TV set of a similar value, purchasers were expected to, at best, fix the locos themselves, IF they were lucky enough to obtain replacement gears FOC. Some had to pay for the privilege, in terms of the replacement gears (albeit a moderate cost) and for the repairs by third parties!

There are replacement metal gear sets from a third party supplier though, which, although more expensive, represent excellent VFM, are well made by craftsmen, engineered to a high standard, AFAICT, in good old blighty.

I've, in the past, run brass gears with/on nylon and delrin type gears, in arduous garden railway environments with no issues. Also, iirc, back in slot car racing days, doing similar was common practice, with no issues in that regard. I hope that helps.

Edited by CME and Bottlewasher

• 1 month later...

Just a quick question, I notice the replacement gears are badged Class 37 v1 - v3, does anyone know what are the 3 versions of the class 37 this refers to please? I have the latest split box version released last summer, is this a V3 or is this a completely different drivetrain? I hopefully won't need replacements as I am hoping the issue is fixed in the latest model but just wanted to confirm.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

Just a quick question, I notice the replacement gears are badged Class 37 v1 - v3, does anyone know what are the 3 versions of the class 37 this refers to please? I have the latest split box version released last summer, is this a V3 or is this a completely different drivetrain? I hopefully won't need replacements as I am hoping the issue is fixed in the latest model but just wanted to confirm.

From Tower:

"All models in this new batch have been upgraded with improved underframe tanks, a DCC friendly chassis and LED lights replacing the old bulbs"

I'm sure when they announced the re-release they said it will have the newer chassis but I cant be bothered to go hunting around for the quote. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hal Nail said:

From Tower:

"All models in this new batch have been upgraded with improved underframe tanks, a DCC friendly chassis and LED lights replacing the old bulbs"

I'm sure when they announced the re-release they said it will have the newer chassis but I cant be bothered to go hunting around for the quote. 

Yes, I recall  the same, what I wasn't sure of was is this latest variant V3 or a v4 as things like the bogie sideframes are different to the 37/4:

V1 - Original split box 37/0

V2 - Centre box 37/0?

V3 - Centre box Refurbs (37/4 etc) and latest split box 37/0?

or

V4 Latest split box 37/0

Either way I guess by the sounds of it the gears will fit if I do need to replace them although I would consider the brass ones from ultrascale 

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 37114 said:

Yes, I recall  the same, what I wasn't sure of was is this latest variant V3 or a v4 as things like the bogie sideframes are different to the 37/4:

V2 - Centre box 37/0?

or

V4 Latest split box 37/0

Either way I guess by the sounds of it the gears will fit if I do need to replace them although I would consider the brass ones from ultrascale 

Have you had problems with a later released one then? 

6 minutes ago, Hal Nail said:

Have you had problems with a later released one then? 

No, but my loco sees very little use which seems to be a trait that was common in the ones that do split judging by comments earlier in this thread. Hopefully it will be ok and Heljan have fixed it but I wanted to know that I can at least get spares that fit if they do split.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, 37114 said:

V2 - Centre box 37/0?

or

V4 Latest split box 37/0

Having seen the part now, the same replacement cluster gear type covers what they refer to as versions 1 to 3.

So I think they mean original split headcode, centre headcode and the refurbished type with painted "removed" skirts which all used the original chassis.

Then after that they did a new chassis for the properly refurbished one with removed skirts and the new chassis was used on subsequent reruns.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Hal Nail said:

Having seen the part now, the same replacement cluster gear type covers what they refer to as versions 1 to 3.

So I think they mean original split headcode, centre headcode and the refurbished type with painted "removed" skirts which all used the original chassis.

Then after that they did a new chassis for the properly refurbished one with removed skirts and the new chassis was used on subsequent reruns.

Ah that makes sense, I forgot they had done the painted skirt version.